Isla vs. Norah?

MissyLissy

Cautiously Pregnant
Reaction score
Which do you prefer? For years I wanted Nora(h) for my little girl. But, a friend using Nora has made me think outside the box, though it's still on my very short list. Now I have fallen in love with Isla! Which do you prefer? Please keep in mind I am from the states where Isla is uncommon, and Nora is rising in popularity. Being from the US though, I also worry if I use Isla she'll forever be correcting people on pronunciation. Decisions.

I much prefer Isla. I think it's pretty and feminine. Not a fan of Norah tbh.

They are both lovely names, I'm in the uk, so for the reason that Isla is extremely popular here at the mo I would go with Norah, however it seems it's the other way round in the US, and if your friend has a Nora, then it sounds like Isla would perhaps be the better option for you??

I prefer Norah. It was on our list before. But both names are beautiful. Hard to choose honestly. :nope:

I love Norah. I'm put off by Isla given its popularity in the UK, but I would love it if that wasn't the case. So I think both names are gorgeous, and in your position I'd go for the least popular.

Isla is hugely popular in the uk, so for that reason I prefer Norah

I adore the name Isla (agree that it's very popular in the UK) but I'm not someone who lets popularity affect my choice of name.

I love both! But I'd go for Isla, as it's less common there.

If Isla isnt popular in US id go for that, i wanted this name but its in top ten here. :flower:

I'm from the US also. I think I actually like Isla! Maybe if you're worried about spelling/pronunciation you can go with Aila or something like that?
Norah is a gorgeous name too and honestly don't think it's that popular here in CT but if your friend just named her baby this then I'd go with something different.

Thanks for the input! I think where I'm from, my daughter would run the risk of having other Nora(h)'s around, but not overly so if I had named her Sophia or Isabelle or something like that. The "friend" is someone I hardly talk to anymore, so I wouldn't let her using the name I love stop me necessarily, but it did cause me to pause.

With Isla, I'm fairly confident she would be the only one. (At least for now... I hear the name is an up and comer, but it's not even in the top 150 here yet.). This is both good and bad. I love that it's so unique here and pretty, but worry she'll forever be called Is-la, not eye-la. I personally don't really like alternative spellings. :shrug:

Regardless, I think I'm starting to lean Isla. Next question, I know I want Irene as the middle name no matter what after my grandma. Does Isla Irene sound silly? I thought so at first, but now it's growing in me.

I think it's fine. How often are middle names used anyway? My LO's middle name is John, not to my taste really and not a name I would have chosen had it not really meant something to us both.

I love the name Isla, it's gorgeous! I think since it's becoming more known in the US, it wont be misspelled or mispronounced much. I personally dislike Norah.

I love the name Isla and it was on my girls list until it started to get too popular in the UK. Having said that I think Nora is a cute name too.

Norah is our top girl name choice so definitely the winner for me. Also in the UK Isla is very popular so that would rule it our for me.

Never been a fan of Norah and I quite like Isla. Esme is quite similar I think if you are worried about pronunciation of Isla? Esme Irene goes too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->