IUI - what to expect?

wantingbubba7

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just came off doing three cycles of natural clomid. Unfortunately this did not work for us but I did ovulate every time.

We are moving onto IUI in February (next cycle).

Can anyone tell me what to expect with IUI please? What meds did you take? What was it like?

I had the HSG done and it was very painful for me.

Thank you and baby dust to all.

I'm almost in the same boat as you. I'm on my 3rd cycle of clomid, I ovulate but it hasn't 'worked' yet.
If this cycle fails then it's on to iui for us too, but our clinic has about a one month wait ugh.
Anyway, sorry I don't have any info for you, but I want to follow this thread!

Hi thats ok, its nice to have a buddy in the same boat as me that I can chat too. Hopefully your 3rd cycle of natural clomid works and you wont need IUI though. I really didnt want to go much further then just clomid but here goes.

I have an appt next Friday (16th Jan) to find out what method of meds we will be using and how it all works. I'll let you know how I go :)

Hi thats ok, its nice to have a buddy in the same boat as me that I can chat too. Hopefully your 3rd cycle of natural clomid works and you wont need IUI though. I really didnt want to go much further then just clomid but here goes.

I have an appt next Friday (16th Jan) to find out what method of meds we will be using and how it all works. I'll let you know how I go :)
Good luck!
I was sure clomid was going to be the answer for us. I have PCOS, irregular cycles and ovulate late. Hubby was checked out and everything good on his side. But I just have a feeling that we will be doing iui now.
I called to try to book our orientation class for iui to try to speed up the 4 week wait approx. I don't want to lose a month in there (and I also don't want to get pregnant in march).
Did you have do a different semen analysis? Our clinic said we need to do an 'advanced' one, at our expense.

I had the same feeling when we started clomid, that it would be our answer the first month and so. Wasnt the case :(

Having been monitored for three months though the doctor told me I have very strong ovulations which is a good thing I guess haha

Wow that is a list of things, has clomid helped regulate everything for you? How long have you been trying for?

My hubby had one semen analysis done through our clinic, he has a very high count but only 2% morph which isn't great, our doctor said that because his count is so high (175 million) that the 2% morph shouldn't be an issue. She didn't say we needed further tests. What does the advanced test check for?

I'm thinking that because of the 2% morph that IUI is our key, when they wash the sperm they take out all the "dudd" ones and only use the good ones :)

How come you dont want to get pregnant in March? We decided to have two months off after the clomid because it affected me so much with hot sweats constantly and my moods. We wanted some "us" time back.

Fingers crossed for both of us !!!

Hi ladies

I had my first IUI dec 1 and was really nervous, but you don't have to worry it is pretty painless.

First I want to say fi you get a negative it is going to be way more painful than your last, so try to stay positive but know not everyone gets a pregnancy the first try.

I was on a monitored cycle of Femara then Ovedril to release eggs.
If you responded well to clomid them will probably keep you on that. I had daily ultrasounds checking on follicle size and lining. Once you are ready to ovulate they Will get you to trigger. Within 36 hours your DH will provide a sample to the clinic where they will wash the sperm to get all the good ones seperated. Within an hour or two you will be inseminated by your Dr. Mine was painless and I had a horrible hsg experience.
I took the rest of the day off because it was really overwhelming, but physically only had slight cramps in the afternoon.

Wish you luck

Thank you Myshelsong that made me feel a bit better about it all. :thumbup:

And the fact that it was painless compared to HSG helps me breath easier, I have nightmares about that experience still :wacko:

I will keep this thread updated once I've had my first consultation next week.

Wish me luck!
xx

I had the same feeling when we started clomid, that it would be our answer the first month and so. Wasnt the case :(

Having been monitored for three months though the doctor told me I have very strong ovulations which is a good thing I guess haha

Wow that is a list of things, has clomid helped regulate everything for you? How long have you been trying for?

My hubby had one semen analysis done through our clinic, he has a very high count but only 2% morph which isn't great, our doctor said that because his count is so high (175 million) that the 2% morph shouldn't be an issue. She didn't say we needed further tests. What does the advanced test check for?

I'm thinking that because of the 2% morph that IUI is our key, when they wash the sperm they take out all the "dudd" ones and only use the good ones :)

How come you dont want to get pregnant in March? We decided to have two months off after the clomid because it affected me so much with hot sweats constantly and my moods. We wanted some "us" time back.

Fingers crossed for both of us !!!
Our clinic doesn't monitor for clomid, only for iui. I wish I had monitoring!
We have been trying for 18 months. It feels so long. You? Clomid has moved my ovulation from around day 25 to day 18, so that's been great! Cut a whole week of waiting out! Ovulation was confirmed for me the first month (progesterone was 43), but they don't do any other blood work, just let us try for 3 months then move on.
I don't want a Christmas baby lol. So we avoided March last year and I'd like to avoid it this year too hahaha.

That's great about your ovulation and hubby's Hugh count. Hopefully iui works quickly for you! Do you feel better after some time off?

I only had blood work monitoring each month while on clomid but my Dr. told me from those results that ov. was strong.
I'm not sure how my monitoring will change while doing IUI, its all nerve racking. And I live 1 hour from the clinic so there will be much travelling for us I would say. But worth it in the end hopefully.
Haha I never thought of it that way. I had a friend due the day before Christmas this year but ended up having her late (29th). I guess 4 days later is better then nothing. :)
We've been trying for over 3 years now. Its been so hard. I would not wish infertility on anyone.
Honestly it has been the best having a break for 2 months. Its like we haven't been "trying" so to speak just been enjoying our marriage which was needed, things were getting very stressful so it was a long hard conversation but we decided that a break was best for our us. I feel happier having done it. Now we are super excited for next month to come.

Did you end up getting in early for the orientation class to speed IUI up? I hope it works for you too.
What were your partners SA results like for you to need to do an advanced one?

I have had the HSG and several IUIs and they are NOTHING alike. If you can get through a PAP test then you will breeze through the IUI. I find with PAPs it hurts when they take a scrape, there is no pain with an IUI.

For the IUI procedure you get up on the table and feet in the stirrups. After putting the speculum inside the doctor inserts a very thin tube into your cervix (I didn't feel a thing any of the times) and a few seconds later you are done. I lay there for about 20 mins then carry on with your day.

Don't get me going on the HSG, that was bad.

Thanks TTCfirst that made me feel a whole lot better.
I just have to make myself relax during the procedure :) I think I'm excited more then nervous though :D

Haha I will never ever get a HSG done again. hahaha

I talked to the clinic today. They are going to get back to me about whether we can do the class early.
I found out more information about the advanced semen analysis- the big thing they test for is antisperm antibodies, and morphology.
If there is a high level of antibodies then they said the sperm wouldn't be able to get into the egg, so iui wouldn't work. Hopefully that's not the case.
His counts were 130 million, 40% motility. Morphology was within normal ranges.

Hi All, I am somewhat in the same boat. I had my second IUI on 12/27. I did 225mg of Gonal F shots and the Ovadrel shot on Thursday night 12/25. I am currently taking Endomentrin progesterone suppositories twice a day. Here are some of my symptoms-

Day 7 really tender breasts- sore to the touch
Day 9- cramping, almost felt like AF type of cramps
DAY 10- this morning, feeling nauseous after eating a banana.

I go for my blood test on Monday 1/12 to see if I am pregnant. Are these symptoms normal? Could these be a good sign?

This is my second attempt at IUI and the TWW is killing me. Really trying not to over think it so I figured I join a board for support.

Thanks All! :)

DanaBabe210- Seeing that you are on progesterone it is hard to tell. From what I hear progesterone can mimic pg symptoms. When you take it you have to wait out the tww and test. I have also heard that it can prevent AF from coming so if she doesn't come it may be that the progesterone is stopping it so you need to test.

Best of luck, hope it's a quick tww.

Thanks for the tip. :) It's so hard to not get your hopes up. I am trying to be super positive so saying prayers.

Trust me, I've been trying for several years and the tww doesn't get much easier.

I can only imagine. The worst part is everyone around me is pregnant. Its like non stop someone new coming to tell me they are expecting. And although I am happy for them its hard not to wonder why not me.

I wish you the best of luck with your situation!

Hi Timetotry
Good luck I hope you get into your class early. Hopefully neither of us have those sperm issues, sounds scary. PS. your hubbys count sounds really good :)

Hi Danababe
How come your doing those particular meds for IUI and why?
Sorry I have my appt next friday to tell me what we'll be doing and I'd love to understand a bit more. I've only used Clomid.
In regards to pregnancy symptoms they do sound promising :) cant help much more though. Sorry. Let me know how you go on Monday?

Hi Mommieh25, of course you can~ Welcome. When do you start? I'm starting next cycle (early February) I'm excited/nervous to start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->