IVF for a sibling?

Sophe

Reaction score
Hi,

Is anyone out there who is considering IVF for a sibling for their IVF child?

I have an 18 month old DS and am planning on IVF next year to try for a sibling for him.

Fell so scared, I don't want to dig all these feelings up again and its so much money i don't know if we could really afford another go if it doesn't work.

Anyone out there in the same sort of position.

I can't talk to my friends they just say 'at least you have one' which of course I know and I am truly gratefull for, but I am only human I have the same feelings as any other woman, you wouldn't say that to a fertile woman would you? I also feel sorry for DS. I dont want him to be alone in the world.

Anyway if there's anyone who has a clue what it feels like i'd loe to talk.

Sophe

Hi Sophe
I have just found out I am pregnant from a fet . My son was conceived from ivf 3 years ago. My situation is a little bit different to yours because we had some frosties but I totally understand where your coming from wanting another child. After I had my son I felt complete. I got to experience the who process and had a perfect beautiful son to love and cherish. I also believed that if I had one it would be all I ever needed. Now my little boy is 2 I started to look and him and I too did not want him to be alone. I really want someone he can share his life with. A playmate . I really want a second baby for him more than myself. Although it would be amazing. I would say go for it. If it's meant to be it will happen. It's not as straightforward as most peoples decisions to have more children but as you know the rewards are much greater than the hard and expensive journey . I actually feel blessed to have had my son in the way I did because although I don't believe I love my child more than other parents. I believe I appreciate him more.
Hi,

I have an 18 month old DS and am planning on IVF next year to try for a sibling for him.

Fell so scared, I don't want to dig all these feelings up again and its so much money i don't know if we could really afford another go if it doesn't work.

I can't talk to my friends they just say 'at least you have one' which of course I know and I am truly gratefull for, but I am only human I have the same feelings as any other woman, you wouldn't say that to a fertile woman would you? I also feel sorry for DS. I dont want him to be alone in the world.

Sophe

Hi there, i have a daughter who will be 4 next month, conceived naturally with no problems, been ttc a sibling for her for the last few years. Have had tests etc and found out my partner has motility issues so looks like will be starting IVF/icsi february time.

We desperately want another child and a brother or sister for our daughter, I have a fab relationship with my brothers and so want my daughter to experience that too. I know the next few months will be tough but will be worth it in the end, good luck to you xx :flower:

Hi Sophe,

I know exactly how you feel. Our DD has just turned 3 & is our ICSI miracle. We thought long & hard about starting the process again for the emotional & financial reasons, but decided we didn't want to regret a few years down the line o doing when it when it may be too late to do.

We had 3 embryos transferred last Thursday so currently in the 2WW, however, I started spotting earlier & feel like AF is on her way so may not be our lucky cycle.

Congratulations Katie, hope you have a happy & healthy 9 months xx

Hi there
I have a dd from a fresh cycle and currently prego from fet! Totally get where ur coming from and if u had conceived naturally no one Wud even question ur decision to try for a sibling!!
Whatever u decide good luck and lots and lots and lots of baby dust!
Xxx

Thanks everyone for your replies, we did have some frosties, but one didn't survive the defrosting process and the other ended in BFN.

Congratulations Niki and katie, I feel that because ours worked first time, we've had our luck and its bound not to work again... but obviously it can!

Good luck to you too Purbrook.

going to call the clinic next week I think, its nerve racking!

People will probably call us crazy but we are going back for a FET in early March next year. Our bub will be 7 months old when we go through it all again. I was ready to go back as soon as she was born!

Our decision to go back for a sibling (and so soon) lies on a few things
1) It took us 3 years of trying to get our little miracle, it could take that long or even longer again.
2) We want (if possible) to have a smaller gap between children if we can
3) Do it while my body is younger and 'remembers' what to do
4) Financially, we can more comfortably afford to do it while I am on maternity paid leave. We are also paying for embryo and sperm storage every 6 months. The sooner we go back and use them, the less we are paying in the long run.
5) If we use our embryos we may decide to just accept we were so lucky to have our daughter, or we still have time (while we are younger) to go through another full stim cycle/s.
6) I want this part of my life (focusing on IVF/infertility/conceiving) to be over sooner rather than later so I can enjoy raising my child/ren (not that I am not doing that now - I LOVE being a mum to my little girl more than anything, but I still get down now and then thinking if we will ever be blessed again.) I am still so clucky!

Im in same situation as Jillie (Except the paid maternity leave part. In us we get no maternity benefits :( )...Our son is 8 months old and starting the process next week! I want to do it sooner than later while my uterus remembers what pregnancy is like. It took us 2.5 yrs to fall pregnant with LO after several attempts and setbacks, etc. I cant imaging LO being only child. I am ready to get ttc behind us and just go back to enjoying life. If our one IVF/ICSI cycle is a failure then our baby will be the only one for a while as we pay 100% out of pocket and right now we can afford one more go (we have paid 100 % for 3 full and 3 frozen cycles).

Iv got twins so its not me wanting a sibling but more just feel too young for my family to be complete
i had such a aweful pregnancy i jusy would love to have a better experience x

People will probably call us crazy but we are going back for a FET in early March next year. Our bub will be 7 months old when we go through it all again. I was ready to go back as soon as she was born!

1) It took us 3 years of trying to get our little miracle, it could take that long or even longer again.
4) Financially, we can more comfortably afford to do it while I am on maternity paid leave. We are also paying for embryo and sperm storage every 6 months. The sooner we go back and use them, the less we are paying in the long run.
5) If we use our embryos we may decide to just accept we were so lucky to have our daughter, or we still have time (while we are younger) to go through another full stim cycle/s.
6) I want this part of my life (focusing on IVF/infertility/conceiving) to be over sooner rather than later so I can enjoy raising my child/ren (not that I am not doing that now - I LOVE being a mum to my little girl more than anything, but I still get down now and then thinking if we will ever be blessed again.) I am still so clucky!

Yes you are so right, thats why we defrosted our frosted so soon, but then I kind of got side tracked with my son, and DH wanted to ttc on our own, then we moved house, and now he's 18 months! time flies... I can't waste anymore though, I don't want to get any older, I am 36 :-(

Iv got twins so its not me wanting a sibling but more just feel too young for my family to be complete
i had such a aweful pregnancy i jusy would love to have a better experience x

Yeah, I see where you are coming from, my pregnancy was horrible, i'd like there to be a next time for it to be different/better.

we almost got twins 2, but at 12 week scan only one HB :-(

Sorry sophe :(

My pregnancy was very easy and I am grateful for that because I am high risk. My dr wants me to really only transfer 1 but I've never gotten pg with twins from 2 so I'm not sure what to do. If I get pg with twins it will be a difficult pregnancy with me on bed rest and early labor most likely.

Yes you are so right, thats why we defrosted our frosted so soon, but then I kind of got side tracked with my son, and DH wanted to ttc on our own, then we moved house, and now he's 18 months! time flies... I can't waste anymore though, I don't want to get any older, I am 36 :-(

We are TTC on our own again before we start the FET. If anyone else says that 'falling pregnant naturally comes easier and happens after being pregnant' I am going to scream! In my head I know this is so damn unlikely, but I wish it were true. CD 32 today and still no ovulation... looks like pregnancy didn't fix my PCOS, no ovulation and hubby's low sperm count.

I also hope I can enjoy my second pregnancy so much more. I was petrified the entire time and it felt like it dragged by but flew at the same time. I can barely remember all the good things about it (movements, etc). I would go into every appointment in tears of worry and wouldn't even look at the scan until my obgyn told me to look at my baby and it wriggling around with a strong heartbeat.

Omg ppl keep saying that to me too! It's like yeah it's so easy..now shut up before I punch you in the face :)

Hi,

Sophe

Hi Soph,

Me! I feel exactly the same. I have a little girl who has just turned 2 (through Ivf -ICSI) and I really want her to have a sibling but I have been putting off going through it all again. I'm worried about getting on that emotional roller-coaster ride that is IVF and how it might affect us all. I've been putting up barriers (2 stone!) and I keep saying, once I lose the weight... Argh! I'm also 36 and I don't want a big age gap between children if I can help it.

Hi,

Me and my oh are just being refered back to the assisted conception unit where we did our 1st successful IVF cycle and conceived our ds who is almost 3 now. We were diagnosed as unexplained infertility as all the tests came back normal, we have now been TTC naturally for 6 months with no success. We have no frozen embryos so will need to start the process again.

We've done lots of research re funding as our 1st was NHS funded, which previously for our postcode it was 1 try and that was that, however back in 2013 the NICE qaulifying criteria changed and it seems we may be eligible again. But until we speak with the consultant we won't know for sure, we are just siting for the appointment to come through.

I knew straight away that I wanted a 2nd child, and I would have TTC straight away but oh took some coming round due to the emotional roller coaster you go through and I also had a horrific post birth experience. in all honesty I never thought it would be through IVF again, I nievley thought it would just happen but here we are again! Feeling very excited but more nervous than before x

I'm glad I found this thread! After reading all your wonderful stories, I have more courage. We have a lovely 18 month old son through our successful 4th cycle Ivf. We really want him to have a sibling. As I have both blocked tubes, it may be through Ivf again. DH is more eager and excited than me. I was blessed in that I had a very good pregnancy but couldn't enjoy most of it as I kept worrying. As we can't afford it, we will be egg sharing again. I'm also a full time student doing my MSc, so we are praying for another addition before I get back to employment. And like most of you, I feel it's nice to have all the children together and start exploring together. We want to take our lovely son and his sibling/s together to Disney, Safari and many more holidays.

It's nice to be back on here and to find lovely ladies like you in my situation. I pray we can enjoy this ride again! Together

Our wait to March is dragging for me. Waiting until the 5th January so I can ring our clinic to sort out our FET timeline. Last cycle of TTC naturally and no ovulation in the 45 days. Going on our first family of 3 holiday to the beach end of January and our first Christmas as a family to look forward to though. Wishing all you lovely ladies a wonderful festive season.

It took us 26 cycles and finally ivf with icsi to conceive our ds. He is 26 months old now and I definitely want a sibling for him. We were unexplained so the doc said it's possible to conceive naturally this time and we should try for 6 months before going back to ivf road. I'm not really optimistic about the whole natural conception thing but we're giving it a try. We don't have any frosties so when we go back to ivf, all the stimming, monitoring, egg collection again which scares me a little. But if it turns out that I'm not pregnany by may then all we can do is go back on that rollercoaster again. Good luck to all

Hi ladies! I am in the same boat as many of you. My son who is now 21 months was an FET. Our IVF fresh cycle didn't work, our FET did. We went back to do an FET in October and I got pregnant with twins only to lose both of them at 9 weeks. So we have to do a full fresh cycle again in the new year .... its such an emotional roller coaster and so hard to think about doing it again with no guarantees. Also makes me so angry when people say to me "well at least you have Reid"! Yes I am blessed to have him but I want more than one child!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->