IVF/IUI - Winter 2012 & Beyond! (updates 1st page - 25 BFPs, 7 - twins!)

Just checking in to see how everyone is doing? I am COUNTING down the days till my consult on the 17th of November!!! Feels like it is going to be an eternity from now!!!

Mrs.Bear -did you get your insurance all figured out?
I KNOW! I am getting SO impatient with the wait - that's why I had to make my IVF countdown ticker to help me keep track of exactly how long it is :haha:

I actually just got a big part of the insurance figured out today. They confirmed that the 2012 coverage will be the same and I had them send me a copy of the full policy. So now I have something in writing that says it is covered and won't feel like it is a gamble :happydance:. I'll take $5000 towards IVF for $500 in premiums any day :thumbup:. Enrollment isn't til next week but once that is over it will be all set. I'm also maxing my flex account to $5000 so will be losing $400+ per paycheck for that but it is tax free so that is a big help. Hoping to be first time lucky and then we can try for #2 in 2013 the same way without having to pay a full cycle out of pocket [-o< Getting ahead of myself though - need to get through cycle #1 first of course.

How are you doing Springy? When are you testing for this IUI?

I'm not even at the IUI stage yet :( Waiting for this natural cycle to be over - which should be next week but I don't think I ever even ovulated - I have used OPK since CD13 and its now CD24 and no + .... so who knows if I just missed it based on the time of day I use the OPK or if I am having a wonky cycle after my last stimulated cycle which put my poor ovaries into overdrive! So I'm hoping to have an IUI end of this month / first week of November and then its a waiting game.

Then we are looking to start the IVF process in January if they have me on a downregging protocol so that the ER and ET would be in February.

I'm not even at the IUI stage yet :( Waiting for this natural cycle to be over - which should be next week but I don't think I ever even ovulated - I have used OPK since CD13 and its now CD24 and no + .... so who knows if I just missed it based on the time of day I use the OPK or if I am having a wonky cycle after my last stimulated cycle which put my poor ovaries into overdrive! So I'm hoping to have an IUI end of this month / first week of November and then its a waiting game.

Then we are looking to start the IVF process in January if they have me on a downregging protocol so that the ER and ET would be in February.

Ugh, don't you hate that when your body won't cooperate? :dohh: Hopefully things sort out soon and you can get your next cycle going. If AF doesn't show will they start it for you with meds or make you wait til she shows on her own?

I think my ovaries are doing the same thing after my injectible cycle. I'm not on meds at all this month and here I am on cd26 and no O in sight... I wouldn't care since DH isn't here anyway but it is frustrating that nothing is working right. No idea when AF will get here, with PCOS I've had months between cycles. They will just have to jump start AF if she doesn't show by November so I can start BCP.

I guess you won't know if you are Down Regging or not til your IVF consult next month? I don't think I am, they haven't mentioned it and have already ordered my meds. Might be because of the PCOS :shrug: As far as I know they are just going to put me on BCP to suppress cysts and set up the timing for the IVF. I'm hoping to get things scheduled so ER and ET hit the week of 1/16 since that Monday is a holiday anyway and I can use less sick time.

Hello Ladies, I'd like to join. I'm 42 and DH is 48.

DH and I have a consult with our original RE (out-of-state) 11/3. We moved to a new state last yr and were torn about whether to do ivf with our old RE or to find a new one, and also whether to try au naturale for a yr or to go straight to ivf. We consulted with a new RE in-state but we didn't have confidence in him although I had some bloodwork done.

So now since were flying I'm trying to get as many things done at once as possible. I need to check to see if I need to redo my bloodwork since my results there are at least 3 yrs old. I also need to find out if the having the appt on a certain cycle day would kill 2 birds with one stone--like maybe cd1 or cd3..I don't know. Would anyone know what cycle dy the doctors begin observing follicles on the ultrasound?

Ugh, don't you hate that when your body won't cooperate? :dohh: Hopefully things sort out soon and you can get your next cycle going. If AF doesn't show will they start it for you with meds or make you wait til she shows on her own?

I think my ovaries are doing the same thing after my injectible cycle. I'm not on meds at all this month and here I am on cd26 and no O in sight... I wouldn't care since DH isn't here anyway but it is frustrating that nothing is working right. No idea when AF will get here, with PCOS I've had months between cycles. They will just have to jump start AF if she doesn't show by November so I can start BCP.

I guess you won't know if you are Down Regging or not til your IVF consult next month? I don't think I am, they haven't mentioned it and have already ordered my meds. Might be because of the PCOS :shrug: As far as I know they are just going to put me on BCP to suppress cysts and set up the timing for the IVF. I'm hoping to get things scheduled so ER and ET hit the week of 1/16 since that Monday is a holiday anyway and I can use less sick time.

I have had a few other cycles naturally where I don't appear to ovulate - maybe 2 or 3 a year and if my past is used to predict this cycle I think it will just lead to the cycle being longer than normal - around 35 days as opposed to 30. So I don't think they will need to bring AF on, she always manages to show up on her own!!!! I really wanted the cycle to be around my normal 30 days as that allows me the month to have the IUI and know the results before the IVF information night and consultation .... so obliviously if I'm prego I wouldn't need the information night and consultation!!!

So now since were flying I'm trying to get as many things done at once as possible. I need to check to see if I need to redo my bloodwork since my results there are at least 3 yrs old. I also need to find out if the having the appt on a certain cycle day would kill 2 birds with one stone--like maybe cd1 or cd3..I don't know. Would anyone know what cycle dy the doctors begin observing follicles on the ultrasound?

Hi Constancev18 :hi:
I think my RE policy is the bloodwork has to be within the past year so you will likely need to have all of that done. You will probably have and ultrasound and E2 bloodwork before you can start stims. I think most people have their first follicle scan on day 5 of stims then the RE adjusts meds from there. After that you might have scans every other day or every day. I would talk to your RE to see if there are ways to work with you so you aren't traveling as much. Maybe do bloodwork through a local lab and have results sent to them then travel around day 6 of stims and plan to stay through ER and ET?

I have had a few other cycles naturally where I don't appear to ovulate - maybe 2 or 3 a year and if my past is used to predict this cycle I think it will just lead to the cycle being longer than normal - around 35 days as opposed to 30. So I don't think they will need to bring AF on, she always manages to show up on her own!!!! I really wanted the cycle to be around my normal 30 days as that allows me the month to have the IUI and know the results before the IVF information night and consultation .... so obliviously if I'm prego I wouldn't need the information night and consultation!!!

Well good thing AF shows either way so you don't have to worry. I never minded non O cycles and then missing AFs before I was ttc... now they cause all sorts of problems :dohh: FX AF shows soon and you can get the IUI underway soon. Do you have to pay for the consultation? Hopefully you won't need to go either way :thumbup:

Hi Constancev18 :hi:
I think my RE policy is the bloodwork has to be within the past year so you will likely need to have all of that done. You will probably have and ultrasound and E2 bloodwork before you can start stims. I think most people have their first follicle scan on day 5 of stims then the RE adjusts meds from there. After that you might have scans every other day or every day. I would talk to your RE to see if there are ways to work with you so you aren't traveling as much. Maybe do bloodwork through a local lab and have results sent to them then travel around day 6 of stims and plan to stay through ER and ET?

Thank you, Mrs. Bear! I feel like ivf is a fast moving stream and that I'm trying to quickly get my bearings before I'm swept away.

Armed with info provided by Mrs. Bear, I called my RE and asked them about the bloodwork. They are going to fax a lab order to my local hospital so I can have it done here. Yay! This is a load off my mind. I'll wait a few weeks bc I'm hoping my dairy free and low carb and endo friendly diet will improve my numbers. I also asked them to double-check to see what cd I should come in on to make the appt most useful. 11/3 would be cd1, which might be a good cd but now dh has to travel. Ugh. (I told him I could go and he could come to the next appt. but he wants to be there, which is great but...so I might have to reschedule for later Nov.)

Thanks for the welcome and hoping everyone is having a great day!

Thank you, Mrs. Bear! I feel like ivf is a fast moving stream and that I'm trying to quickly get my bearings before I'm swept away.

I'm starting to think of IVF as more like the rapids... you are just floating along wondering if you will ever get there then WHAM! you are tossed into the rapids of constant shots, scans, and appointments and your body feels like it's been banged against the rocks after all those shots :haha:

Glad to hear you got some things sorted out :thumbup: As far as the cd1 appointment, if you would rather not reschedule remind him that not much is going to happen that day - it is the later scans that will show the follies and mean more. I don't care if my DH is there for the early scans, it is the later ones where I might get upset if there are not enough follies that I would want him there with me for.

Nope our consultation, ultrasounds, bloodwork etc. is all covered by OHIP and my once a year $250.00 monitoring fee. I only pay for sperm washes - the IUI itself is also covered by OHIP - just $200 per sperm washing so $400 a cycle.

IVF is a whole other thing - we figure it will cost $7400 plus drugs, which THANKFULLY are covered by my drug plan!

Glad to hear you got some things sorted out :thumbup: As far as the cd1 appointment, if you would rather not reschedule remind him that not much is going to happen that day - it is the later scans that will show the follies and mean more. I don't care if my DH is there for the early scans, it is the later ones where I might get upset if there are not enough follies that I would want him there with me for.

I'm going to reschedule for what I hope will be cd5-6 on Dec 1-2. DH will come with but I need to talk to them again (or read this thread as the info here is stellar) to determine if they begin ultrasound monitoring the cycle before ivf to get a baseline, or if it's only the ivf cycle when I'm taking the meds. We were planning on ivf in Jan but late Dec looks better as school will be out (I teach).

They called back yesterday to say I did not need new labs. Very interesting as mine are at least 3 yrs old. But I guess my script is standard? It is Menoral/Menopar 225 iu for 9dys (the order is for 54 Menoral/Menopar of 75iu strength with 3 refills).

It's cd6 & I'm feeling mittelshmerz so I should o in about 4 dys.

Off to read this and other ivf threads. :)

Nope our consultation, ultrasounds, bloodwork etc. is all covered by OHIP and my once a year $250.00 monitoring fee. I only pay for sperm washes - the IUI itself is also covered by OHIP - just $200 per sperm washing so $400 a cycle.

IVF is a whole other thing - we figure it will cost $7400 plus drugs, which THANKFULLY are covered by my drug plan!

That's great that so much has been covered for you. I wish IVF was covered, so not fair :growlmad: Any sign of O or AF yet?

I'm going to reschedule for what I hope will be cd5-6 on Dec 1-2. DH will come with but I need to talk to them again (or read this thread as the info here is stellar) to determine if they begin ultrasound monitoring the cycle before ivf to get a baseline, or if it's only the ivf cycle when I'm taking the meds. We were planning on ivf in Jan but late Dec looks better as school will be out (I teach).It's cd6 & I'm feeling mittelshmerz so I should o in about 4 dys.

Glad you won't have to get more labs - one less thing :thumbup: I think my clinic only does a scan right before you would start stims, but each RE is different so who knows :shrug:

Talked to RE nurse this morning and all bloodwork came back fine so I am all cleared :happydance:

Going to try to talk to finance at the RE tomorrow and get all that part set. Was going to call today but forgot to bring the number to work with me. After that all that is left is getting DHs tests done and we are good to go :thumbup:

Frankiegirl, 65% chance of becoming pregnant through ivf is wonderful!

Babyhope, congrats on having 3 covered fresh cycles rather than just 1.

MrsBear, congrats on getting things down in writing. Egad, it's like buying a house.

After re-reading this thread I’m sure I’m not on a down reg. I’ll go straight from af to stimming. I need to sort this all out in my head before I call my RE (2nd time in 2 dys). I fear sounding like a moron.:wacko:

After re-reading this thread I’m sure I’m not on a down reg. I’ll go straight from af to stimming. I need to sort this all out in my head before I call my RE (2nd time in 2 dys). I fear sounding like a moron.:wacko:

I'm sure they get those calls all the time. And better to sound like a moron than screw something up or worry about something needlessly right? :thumbup:

Ay up - thought I'd join in as I'm hopefully starting IVF after Christmas... There seem to be a lot of ladeez here feeling like they're shooting the rapids; I'm currently on a mill pond!

Here's what's going on for me:
I'm 42 (yesterday- hurrah!) and Mr Urch is 26. We've been ttc for over 3 years now, but our one bfp ended in miscarriage.

Where I am in the UK only one cycle of IVF is funded and we had been referred prior to the cut off date of 40. However, I then got pregnant, miscarried and they found a mahoosive fibroid which needed operating on - and all of this took me past my 40th birthday, so we don't get any funding at all :(

As part of all of the investigations they found that my FSH is 22 and AMH is 3 - so IVF using my own eggs is out.... And so I was put on the waiting list.... And that was 4 years long!

So, I found a private clinic last October with a 6 month waiting list for donor eggs - and a year later I'm still waiting.

Since about May I've been ringin up every couple of months and been told 'two months' two months, two months! I spoke to them at the beginning of October and was told realistically I'm looking at after Christmas.

Tbh I would welcome the rapids cuz my millpond is so very frustrating.

Things are so different from country to country - over here it is illegal to pay egg donors
more than very basic expenses, so not surprisingly they are a rare breed.
Our NHS is great for some things (and if you are lucky enough to live in a county where they pay for the recommended 3 cycles it's fab) but if you are over 40, or one partner has previously had children, you get nothing at all :(

our fees are £5.5k - which is pretty much the same as it would be self- funding on the NHS ... A huge amount of money for us to find! We have managed to save it up over the last year, but if it doesn't work first time round we are
in real difficulties.

That's me! A little bit doomy and gloomy here on the pond - but will be nice to have some other IVFers to chat to as things get going!

That's great that so much has been covered for you. I wish IVF was covered, so not fair :growlmad: Any sign of O or AF yet?

I'm going to reschedule for what I hope will be cd5-6 on Dec 1-2. DH will come with but I need to talk to them again (or read this thread as the info here is stellar) to determine if they begin ultrasound monitoring the cycle before ivf to get a baseline, or if it's only the ivf cycle when I'm taking the meds. We were planning on ivf in Jan but late Dec looks better as school will be out (I teach).It's cd6 & I'm feeling mittelshmerz so I should o in about 4 dys.

Glad you won't have to get more labs - one less thing :thumbup: I think my clinic only does a scan right before you would start stims, but each RE is different so who knows :shrug:

Nope nothing .... AF is due to appear Monday so I am REALLY hoping she shows up on time!!!

Well as much as it is nice that my bloodwork, ultrasounds etc. are all covered IVF is still a huge investment - they say that drugs are between 5 and 6K and the procedures are $7400 so total is about $13.5K! I don't know about you ladies but not the kind of money DH and I have "lying" around ;) So we are spending Oct - Feb saving up the $7400, drugs can go on credit card as they will be reimbursed at 100% from my plan - PHEW!

Ay up - thought I'd join in as I'm hopefully starting IVF after Christmas... There seem to be a lot of ladeez here feeling like they're shooting the rapids; I'm currently on a mill pond!

Here's what's going on for me:
I'm 42 (yesterday- hurrah!) and Mr Urch is 26. We've been ttc for over 3 years now, but our one bfp ended in miscarriage.

Where I am in the UK only one cycle of IVF is funded and we had been referred prior to the cut off date of 40. However, I then got pregnant, miscarried and they found a mahoosive fibroid which needed operating on - and all of this took me past my 40th birthday, so we don't get any funding at all :(

As part of all of the investigations they found that my FSH is 22 and AMH is 3 - so IVF using my own eggs is out.... And so I was put on the waiting list.... And that was 4 years long!

So, I found a private clinic last October with a 6 month waiting list for donor eggs - and a year later I'm still waiting.

Since about May I've been ringin up every couple of months and been told 'two months' two months, two months! I spoke to them at the beginning of October and was told realistically I'm looking at after Christmas.

Things are so different from country to country - over here it is illegal to pay egg donors
more than very basic expenses, so not surprisingly they are a rare breed.
Our NHS is great for some things (and if you are lucky enough to live in a county where they pay for the recommended 3 cycles it's fab) but if you are over 40, or one partner has previously had children, you get nothing at all :(

our fees are £5.5k - which is pretty much the same as it would be self- funding on the NHS ... A huge amount of money for us to find! We have managed to save it up over the last year, but if it doesn't work first time round we are
in real difficulties.

That's me! A little bit doomy and gloomy here on the pond - but will be nice to have some other IVFers to chat to as things get going!

Welcome :hi:

Hoping that the donor eggs come in sooner rather than later for you! Wouldn't it be a great Christmas gift if they came in around that time!!!!

Welcome Urchin :hi:

That all sounds so frustrating :growlmad: Hope your donor comes through soon so you don't have to wait much longer. As much as I hate the expense of insurance, NHS infertility coverage sounds like a royal pain from a lot of what I have read on here, between the inconsistent coverage, referrals and mile long waiting lists. I don't know how you do it. Hope it all gets worked out soon :hugs: If you are going private anyway have you looked into going abroad for your donor. I can't remember which, but I think I remember someone posting that some of the mainland European countries are supposed to be less expensive. Can't swear to that though :shrug:

[Well as much as it is nice that my bloodwork, ultrasounds etc. are all covered IVF is still a huge investment - they say that drugs are between 5 and 6K and the procedures are $7400 so total is about $13.5K! I don't know about you ladies but not the kind of money DH and I have "lying" around ;) So we are spending Oct - Feb saving up the $7400, drugs can go on credit card as they will be reimbursed at 100% from my plan - PHEW!

Wouldn't it be nice to not have the $ be a factor? Obviously I am dreaming here... :sleep: *sigh*

I'm trying to figure out the $ side of it right now. I spoke with the clinic finance people this morning and they are trying to confirm what my insurance covers and what it doesn't. I asked about the multi-cycle option but apparently that would cover insurance for the monitoring part, not for the more expensive ER/ET part. So now I don't know whether it is even worth it to pay for the insurance or if I should take my work's waiver option and not pay for insurance :shrug:

Another fun question they are checking on is that the multi-cycle is 2 fresh and 2 FET. My RE has already said he doubts I'll have any frosties so that would mean paying for 2 FET I can't use. They are checking to see if I can convert the FET to a 3rd fresh cycle if there are no frosties.

Our bottom line is a decision between paying $6000 for one cycle and hoping we are lucky first try, if not then two tries would be $16000; or paying $12000 for two tries, but if we are lucky first try we would have paid twice as much as we needed to pay :dohh: I feel like I should be in a casino since we are for sure gambling a whole lot of money no matter what we decide. The only thing I know for sure is we would still max out the pre-tax flex account to $5000 because we will be out that much regardless. We will have to decide the rest soon though because that will need to be financed and we will need to know how much to borrow.

None of that includes meds. I am pretty sure stuff like the progesterone is covered but not sure how much of the stims will be covered. My current insurance won't cover stims at all for IVF but I'm hoping the new insurance might.

Cheers Springy and Mrs Bear :)
Our NHS is often referred to as the postcode lottery - what you get depends randomly on where in the country you live.
But post-40 it wouldn't matter where I was, the answer would still be no.

I have read about clinics abroad, but peoples experience of them has been mixed - and I think I'd rather be at home while doing all of this. That said, if round one is unsuccessful, I might consider it.

I was really hoping for eggs before Christmas but they've said that won't happen :( we might get an appointment in December but nothing will happen until January at the earliest - told you it was a millpond!

I have read about clinics abroad, but peoples experience of them has been mixed - and I think I'd rather be at home while doing all of this. That said, if round one is unsuccessful, I might consider it.

I was really hoping for eggs before Christmas but they've said that won't happen :( we might get an appointment in December but nothing will happen until January at the earliest - told you it was a millpond!

Yeah, I can completely understand about wanting to be home for the process. I've considered a clinic about 2000 miles away cross country if we don't find success at our RE here because the other one is rated top 5 in the US and has super high success rates. But that would mean spending a week or two in a hotel there for EC/ER. I don't know that I would be comfortable doing that, even if the increased cost of IVF there and the expense of the travel/hotel weren't enough to stop me - which of course they are.

Sorry that you won't get your eggs by Christmas :hugs: Hopefully things will start moving soon and even if you don't have the eggs by then you will have some definite timelines getting set up. It must be so frustrating floating in the millpond :shipw:

Cheers Mrs B! I'm afraid I've lost positivity at the minute - probably because I've been trying to stretch it out too thin! But I will scrape it all up again into a usable lump when I get my date!

In the meantime I am busy doing up my house to sell, which feels like a side-project of ttc. I want to move out of the city, back to my home village where I would want to bring up children...and getting this house ready to sell is the first step to achieving that.
There is a lot of work to do on it though - every room needs to be replastered, I need a new kitchen in and the bathroom remodelled!

So far I have learned to plaster and have done sitting room and bathroom - next skill I need to learn is tiling (which I think I will attempt next weekend)

it certainly helps having a big project to occupy myself with, and one that feels like it is helping to move us towards our goal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->