Ivf oct/nov/dec

I hope it works out ali! I know the infusion is expensive and not covered by insurance; when I found out I may need that I checked into it and even the consultation was a few hundred dollars. Maybe you can get away with just doing steriods and blood thinners?

One can hope! I know my FS mentioned intralipids and they are much cheaper and seem to be almost as effective? I just have to be patient and wait to see Dr Denker on Friday. Easier said than done! :wacko:

Hi Ali - sorry to hear that you have elevated NK cells but its good that there are options to combat the situation (although more money!)
Be good to chat to your doctor about it on Friday. I am sure he has a plan in mind for you!

Hi All :hi:,

As promised I am going to post the results from my NK cell testing and the discussion with my FS.

1) Why are my NK cells elevated?

They are elevated because they are. There is no answer, at this point in my life they are elevated, but that doesn't mean that they will be for life. He used the democratic party and the republican party and their defense budgets as an analogy. Right now my immune system is high like it would be under a republican administration, but in a few more years it could be low as in a democratic party administration. Having an elevated NK cell count is normally a good thing as it fights the common cold, and flu and cancer. However for some women it also means it will kill your embryo.

2) What is your recommended plan?

We went back and forth on this. The test they did to determine if my NK cells were elevated included suppressing them with IVIg and Intralipids (the 2 options for suppressing NK cells) to see if my body would respond appropriately. My body did, and with the IVIg they dropped from 12 down to 8, and with Intralipids they went from 12 down to 9. Both would be satisfactory as we want the number to be under 10. The recommendation is to do an infusion before transfer, and if you end up pregnant do 3 more infusions (1 per month). The IVIg infusion costs $3000 per infusion and the Intralipids cost $1000 per infusion, not covered by insurance (of course). So my FS's recommendation (and actually my initial thought as well) was to do the first infusion with IVIg, and if I get pregnant to follow up with the Intralipids for the last 3 infusions.

3) Should we do further testing to ensure I don't have any uterine/entometrial issues?

He brought up a test that is brand new to the US, in fact he said I could very well be the first person to do it in the US. This is something that has been widely done in Europe and they have had great success with it. They are branching out to the US, and are setting up a lab in Miami, FL. My FS is going to be one of the Dr's that are working with them and continuing the testing in the US. I asked about what the procedures are and he said that we would do a trial cycle. So we'd just monitor everything and create the exact same environment for the transfer, but not actually do the transfer. During the cycle there would be 2 endometrial biopsies, timed around the implantation window. This would do 2 things. First it would determine the length of my implantation window (normal is 4-5 days), and second it would determine if there were any abnormalities that we would have to deal with. I asked him about cost as this sounded expensive. He said he would run all of the testing through my insurance, and they would cover it, except for the testing of the biopsies. He said that he would work with me and the company that is doing this testing to come up with a discounted rate since this is a new type of test in the US market. So I would have to pay a few co-pays, and the medications necessary for a FET, along with the discounted rate for the testing of the biopsies.

So the full plan is this:

1) Call when I get my next period.
2) Go in and have base ultrasound on day 3-4 of my cycle
3) Be monitored via ultrasound and blood work to detail my cycle, and when the time comes do the biopsies (this is an in office procedure) not a big deal.
4) Get the results from the biopsy, and use the results to ensure we don't have endometrial issues and to pinpoint the best day of my cycle for implantation
5) Wait for my next period to arrive
6) Base ultrasound on day 3-4 of my cycle
7) Monitored via ultrasound and blood work until transfer day
8) Transfer
9) Wait to see if it takes

As things stand now, I should have my FET somewhere in late March, and then my due date would be mid-December.

Hope all of you ladies are doing well!!!!! :dust:

@Ali, that is really great that you and your DR have a plan of action to overcome the problem with your NK cells. Fingers crossed that the treatments will help make your FET cycle a success and that you will get your BFP!! Good luck hun!!! :dust::dust::dust:

Wow Ali - that sounds like a lot to take in. How cool that you have a solid plan now and that you have an idea of what is going on! FX that this is what you need to get your BFP!!!:hugs:

Ali, I'm glad you and your dr have a plan!

No update on me yet. I believe I've started to feel some side effects from the methotrexate, nothing major, just some abdominal pain and a very sore throat. Had another beta yesterday but dr said that number might go up. I wont get that number until tomorrow. Another scheduled for Tuesday. If that number isn't 15% lower than Saturday's number, I will have to have surgery. :(

Hope everyone else is doing well!

FX you won't have to have surgery Lucie. :( Still so sorry you are going through this. :hugs:

@Lucie, I am so sorry that you are going through this hun and that the process has been so long and drawn out on top of your loss. Big hugs to you hun!!! :hugs::hugs: I hope that you can avoid surgery!!! :hugs::hugs:

Lucie,

I hope things work out for you! So you can start again ASAP. Hopefully it doesn't come to surgery! :hug:

Lucie - I'm sending lots of prayers your way. Fx that you can avoid surgery.:hugs:

No update on me yet. I believe I've started to feel some side effects from the methotrexate, nothing major, just some abdominal pain and a very sore throat. Had another beta yesterday but dr said that number might go up. I wont get that number until tomorrow. Another scheduled for Tuesday. If that number isn't 15% lower than Saturday's number, I will have to have surgery. :(

Hope everyone else is doing well!

I am so sorry Lucie :hugs: I pray that you don't need surgery :hug:

Ali- I am glad your FS has a plan!! I think you should take dexamathasone along with the infusions. It is a pill form steroid and it gave me 0 side effects. I started it when I started Lupron and continued it until 5dp2dt. Women with endometriosis bodies will naturally have a harder time accepting an embryo. But dexamathasone has now been proven to help in all women with implantation problems and where odds that their body will reject the embryos for some other reason.

I am so excited for you!!! :)

Ali- I am glad your FS has a plan!! I think you should take dexamathasone along with the infusions. It is a pill form steroid and it gave me 0 side effects. I started it when I started Lupron and continued it until 5dp2dt. Women with endometriosis bodies will naturally have a harder time accepting an embryo. But dexamathasone has now been proven to help in all women with implantation problems and where odds that their body will reject the embryos for some other reason.

I am so excited for you!!! :)

I was thinking about that as well, they often use a steroid in addition to the infusions to help improve your chances. I'm going to ask him about that when we chat next. The endometrial biopsy should tell us more as well, as to whether I need any further drugs.

How are you doing?

That sounds like a great plan Ali!

Lucie - I am so sorry; keeping my FX'ed you don't need surgery.

Quick update on me. Saturday's beta went up to 5400, Today's was 6100. Dr. was finally able to see something on the us. It's on the right, but he can't be sure if it's in the tube or my abdomen. I'm going in for a lap tomorrow to remove it. :(.

Lucie :( GL with the surgery... I HOPE they do not find anything in your tube. If he doesnt find anything in your tube will he do d/c?

Mo, he won't be doing a d&c because there is nothing in my uterus. He thinks it's in my tube, but can't rule out it being in my abdomen. At this point, I'd rather it be in my tube, as he said he'd have to do larger incisions if it's in my abdomen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->