Jehovah's Witnesses

I am not religious and no amount of preaching or "trying to show me the way" will ever make any difference...

x

I love the thought that the Bible was telling people the world was round, and free-hanging from the beginning. Where did the idea that the world was flat come from?

maybe she is referring to the original topic? I see no preaching either just different point of views.

maybe she is referring to the original topic? I see no preaching either just different point of views.

I think so as well. No preaching here, just exchange of info and opinions :)

:) Its not about trying to win anything, its about presenting the facts and then everyone makes their own informed decision.

And i agree dragonfly so many 'religions' have nothing to do with the bible at all.

Im glad this has been such a friendly debate, with such difference of opinions this would usually qualify as one of BnB's top 5 thread topics that get closed haha x

No I didnt mean that, I wasnt even reading what you where all saying as it baffles me :blush: its not an argument I know its a discussion. But no point on me saying I dont believe and you saying you do we wont get anywhere :flower: its quite a personal thing to I always thought, I do believe in stuff others dont and despite my family thinking I am the devil and my son is the devils spawn for not introduce religion to him when he was born even though standing in church dosnt make you any more of a Christian than standing in a garage makes you a car,. And they dont do either,. I just dont have it in my life.

How very true :D What a wonderful quote :hugs::hugs:

I have nothing against JW's, but I don't let them in my house and I don't listen to them at my door either. I tell them I'm Jewish, not interested in converting (which I can't do anyway since I'm Jewish by birth) and generally they don't come back.

I am very open about religion and other's beliefs but I really think that...My house, my personal space. I dislike cold calling of any kind and to me, this falls into that category.

i always remember one morning, I was home alone, and it was like 7.30 in the morning, I had been doing a twilight in the hospital, so only had come home at 3.30am, and had to get up at 8am to go to uni... and there was a really loud knock at the door. I literally jumped outta bed, could have swore it was police or something. looked out my bedroom window and saw a silver car in the drive.
I was so nervous going down the stairs, couldn't find the door key, was shouting through the door 'hold on'... fell over the washing basket going into utility to get spare key off the hook... went to the door...
'Have you said Hello to God this morning?'
I will admitt, I was so cross, I retorted, 'at 7.30 in the morning I haven't said hello to anyone!!!'
They almost ignored that and proceeded to tell me about the wonders of God, and how they where here to save me, and lead me to the correct path in life.
I explained that in truth if I had known it wasn't the police I wouldn't have opened the door, as I had been working twilight. They tried to tell me, that God sends us messages in a hope that we interpret them correctly.

I understand that it is part of the JW faith to save as many as they can, and that this is their duty. But, a bit of common sense goes a long way. Like when I told them I was happy in my catholic faith, they didn't seem satisfied. I simply put it, 'sorry, my uncle is the P.P. and my granny would have a heart attack if I left the faith... try next door! Good morning, and God Bless'
and closed the door, and went back to bed!

The next time they came to deliver the WatchTower was the same man, with a different woman, and was like noon, I was pregnant and showing. He asked about my husband! :haha: I admitt I felt a little judged, and lied that my fiancée was my husband... :blush:

I think the way they approach you has a lot to do with how you respond xx

They have not came back here since my dog barked at them lol. One of my Best friends is actually JW, we never speak about the religion side though. We are just very close and respect it but agree to disagree lol

I think there are alot of witnesses who are different in the way they talk to people on the door and when and how they knock.

I'm a Jehovahs Witness and i dont like trying to force it on people. if i knock on ones doors and they say no i wont carry on. to me No means No!

I think this thread is a good thread cos it shows peoples views and i find it good to read.

if for any reason u want to ask me something ask me.

thanks becci x

I often have mormons come sit next me on the bus!
I offten sit there and just nob and agree with them

We used to get a couple that would come to the door first thing on a Saturday morning. After you've spent all week at work the last thing you want is someone banging on the door at stupid times!!

Once she said to me "are you ok?" I said " I would be if you hadn't woke me up, please stop calling we don't believe."

she didn't come back again :rofl:

my mom taught me to just open the door, then shut it again in their faces. They were so persistent and kept coming back :haha: that was when i was a kid. sorry but i hate people waking me up on a freaking Saturday morning to force some stupid believe on me. that's just my opinion. here, i don't even open the door if i can guess it's them.

We havent had them where I live in our block, but they do go to the high rises - brave fools! They are nice helpful men and they did once help me up with my shipping and the buggy, up 2 flights of stairs - and not once did they try to teach me anything.

I did once work with a JW girl, and you would never have knows except that at xmas her parents fobid her from coming into work as we had decorations up, and also she was not allowed to come on the night out as it was classed as celebrating christmas. That actually upset her and she did cry about that which was a shame as really no one in the office gave a hoot about the religious meaning it was just a meal and a dance.

My dads side of the family are all very much church goers and my grandfather was a Grand Master and my mums mum was a female version, and that seems to have put them off religion. I don't know what to believe, I think about it all, and the enormity of either situation scares me too much when I think if there is a herafter or not. Cos I just want to stay here :(, I don't wannt be there without my Bug and everyone else.

People do need something to follow though, to believe in as it probably provides more comfort/hope to many than it does heartache to a few.

Ooh this is an old thread..

Personally, they dont bother me as such. Freedom of speech and all that, and i know a few people who used to be JW and some who are still JW.

I let them speak, and finish what they have to say. Then i say my bit... about being an atheist, and believing in science and evolution and that the bible to me is just a book. Like lord of the rings or harry potter. The mention of harry potter usually makes them go away it was only recently i realised its the witchcraft element of it that upset them :dohh: If they can say their bit, i can say mine.

Im always polite though.

i have nothing against them talking to me. but they aways ring the bloody doorbell when sophias asleep. if one more random person rings my doorbell while sophias asleep i will go to the window above the door and chuck a bucket of water over there head, unless im waiting for a delivery then i will answer

wow this is an old thread that i have only just seen but i have to comment as i am a jehovahs witness myself.

I dont try to convert anyone, if someone says no to me it means no and i would never push anyone, iv found this thread really interesting actually to see what other people also believe :)

if anyone wants to ask me any questions please inbox me xx

When they knock i end up standing there listening to them and come away with the little magazines the give out. lol I'm too polite to just shut the door like other people do. I must admit, i did have a flick through the magazine and then recycled it. At least it went to good use. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
over35tryin
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->