July Jelly Beans!! 2014!

Just got back from my 12 week scan. :) Everything is fine! :happydance:

Attachments

• IMG_1919.jpg
    IMG_1919.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 6
That's wonderful Ty. My mother in law lives with us as well right now, I'm thinking she'll be out in March. We cant do anything with nursey til she moves out since we'll be moving my youngest daughter to the room she is in.
Cant wait to hear about your appt tomorrow. Don't be nervous.

Nice scan pic Gidge.

I've got my scan tomorrow. My best friend lost her baby at 5wks and found out today. Doesn't feel right going for mine, I'm not broadcasting it put it that way x

I have been doing some research on ultrasound technology and thought I would share. I bought a doppler like many of you and someone mentioned somethinto me about doppler a being dangerous because they use ultrasound technology and can cause heat to be generated and cell changes in the fetus. With more research I found evidence of harm associated with the picture type ultrasounds as they use a much higher power. Especially a technology called doppler ultrasounds. (not the same as a Fetal heart doppler.) I have decided to stop using my Fetal heart doppler, but I am still going to have my 20 week ultrasound. I had one other ultrasound done at 8 weeks. I had no idea there was any danger until a couple days ago. I just don't want to take any additional risks for ultrasounds I don't need. Here is one article that explains the possible harm. There are many others out there.

https://www.jennifermargulis.net/blog/2013/11/the-possible-dangers-of-obstetric-ultrasound/

Oh no toffee that's not good. Did she find out at her 12 week scan? Or did she find out before? Hugs for your friend xxx

Hi everyone, I've been following this thread for quite some time now but I've never posted anything (I'm new to babyandbump--not even sure if I'm doing this correctly). Thought I'd finally jump in! I'm 15 weeks today and get to find out the gender next Thursday. So.Excited.

I love catching up with everyone's post each day and feel grateful that this little forum exists :hugs:

Ladies who read that article, DO NOT PANIC. Nowhere in it does it give any concrete evidence or list any case studies where children have been born with issues that have been found to have been caused by ultrasounds. What that article quotes is a RESEARCH paper discussing a THEORY, not proven science. Yes ultrasound can be used for a number of purposes where cells are changed or destroyed, that's what ultrasound is, it's high frequency sound. However, at the levels used in an ultrasound scan there are no proven risks or ill effects to mother or baby.

I understand you personally have made a decision about ultrasounds Julybaby and thats your prerogative, but I just don't want ladies to read that article and panic that they're harming their babies when there is really no hard evidence to suggest that xx

Ladies who read that article, DO NOT PANIC. Nowhere in it does it give any concrete evidence or list any case studies where children have been born with issues that have been found to have been caused by ultrasounds. What that article quotes is a RESEARCH paper discussing a THEORY, not proven science. Yes ultrasound can be used for a number of purposes where cells are changed or destroyed, that's what ultrasound is, it's high frequency sound. However, at the levels used in an ultrasound scan there are no proven risks or ill effects to mother or baby.

I understand you personally have made a decision about ultrasounds Julybaby and thats your prerogative, but I just don't want ladies to read that article and panic that they're harming their babies when there is really no hard evidence to suggest that xx

I 100% agree with you. I don't think there is any concrete evidence. I did not mean to alarm anyone! I am still going to have my 20 week ultrasound and any others if they are medically necessary. I was more just commenting on the fact that I didn't know ultrasounds were even potentially harmful! My personal decision, and I am absolutely not saying others should come to the same conclusion, is that I am not going to have extra ultrasounds or use my doppler. I'm probably being overly cautious. I'm going to ask my Ob her opinion on the matter at my next appointment and I'llpost what she says. Maybe it's all overblown theories, but who knows. There was one Fetal rat study actually demonstrating harm. But we are humans not rats... :)

Julybaby - hand held dopplers pose no threat to the unborn child - yes doppler ultrasounds cause heating in the local area and so it's not a great idea to be having too many of these..

No, after bleeding she was referred for a scan. Just horrible :-(

Julybaby - hand held dopplers pose no threat to the unborn child - yes doppler ultrasounds cause heating in the local area and so it's not a great idea to be having too many of these..

I know the doppler sales sites say this. I found that dopplers use 20 units of ultrasound power while picture ultrasounds use up to 720. I agree it's much less, and I agree there were not any studies on hand held Fetal heart dopplers. I'm not sure if they pose no threat though? If there were no studies proving risk, I don't think there were any studies proving safety. But if you find one please post! I'm very interested. If anyone sees good articles on this I would love to put my mind at ease and go back to using my doppler.

Here is a quote I found from Fetaldopplerfacts.org. :
"Most manufacturers of diagnostic fetal doppler heart monitors have always made every effort to use as low an ultrasound power as practical. The level of ultrasound power emitted is not adjustable on a*fetal doppler*unlike that of a sonograph. Prudent use on the mother's part would include minimizing the length of time that she listens to the baby's heartbeat on each occasion."

Oh Toffee that is terrible for your friend.

Welcome Jenny. Where in Texas are you from? I'm in west Texas. Congrats to you.

Oh Toffee that is terrible for your friend.

Welcome Jenny. Where in Texas are you from? I'm in west Texas. Congrats to you.

Thank you! I'm in Austin right now, just moved up here about a year ago from South TX. Soon after moving here, I fell in love, we decided to start a family, and BOOM baby on the way then married. So many life changes in such a short period of time!! :headspin:

I'm also having my nhs on monday and will b 13 weeks I highly doubt she wud tell me the sex then I wudnt need to come for the actual gender scan .. But I will ask lol .. Cos my gynae is my gynae its already pvt? Or do u mean somethin else wen u say private ..

Private as in I have booked it with a third party, not with the hospital. I am paying whereas other scans have been provided free by the NHS :)

Welcome Jenny! :hi:

Lovely scan Gidge :cloud9:

Re: doppler, I have a Sonoline B but am conscious that baby doesn't like it so limit myself to twice a week and switch it off as soon as I find HB, I won't sit and listen to it.

I've had three ultrasounds though (one reassurance, two medically necessary) and need two anomaly scans due to my history. I won't rule out a gender scan but that'll be a in and out in five minutes Babybond cheapo job ;)

I think the REAL danger with dopplers is using them for reassurance later on if baby's movements have reduced. NEVER, EVER take a heartbeat to mean baby is ok if movements have significantly changed (reduced or increased). Always always always get checked out. Babies do not suddenly move less as they 'run out of room' towards the end!
LECTURE ENDS ;) countthekicks.org.uk

Wow, baby bond 'justgender' scan is £39, that's cheap!

Innit! Expect it'll feel a bit like a production line, mind!

Yeah, it does say 10 minutes. However, my letter for my NHS scan tomorrow says approx 10 mins haha x

Lovely to see all the scan photos coming in all those gorgeous looking babies awwww.

I can't wait for this nausea to go!! So annoying!

Welcome Jenny! :hi:

Lovely scan Gidge :cloud9:

Re: doppler, I have a Sonoline B but am conscious that baby doesn't like it so limit myself to twice a week and switch it off as soon as I find HB, I won't sit and listen to it.

I've had three ultrasounds though (one reassurance, two medically necessary) and need two anomaly scans due to my history. I won't rule out a gender scan but that'll be a in and out in five minutes Babybond cheapo job ;)

I think the REAL danger with dopplers is using them for reassurance later on if baby's movements have reduced. NEVER, EVER take a heartbeat to mean baby is ok if movements have significantly changed (reduced or increased). Always always always get checked out. Babies do not suddenly move less as they 'run out of room' towards the end!
LECTURE ENDS ;) countthekicks.org.uk

Good point about being careful about reassurance later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->