June Jitterbugs- 2013, 51 babies born 27 boys, 24 girls (145 on the Way)

How do you ladies feel about all the pregnancy don't, are you following them for the most part? For me, I really think that a lot of them are crap, and I really don't buy into very many of them. I do very much subscribe to the notion of everything in moderation, but I think that's true for everything in life, not just in pregnancy. Hence, I still start my day w/my cup of coffee, today I had a lunch sandwich with some deli meats, and tonight I'm having sushi for dinner with a tiny glass of wine (I do measure out 3 oz, and limit it to two or three times a week :winkwink:). It does really bother me when badly-conducted studies get hyped up and added on to the ever-growing list of "don'ts", and suddenly, everyone just adopts them as if they are fact. I think common sense has sadly escaped us, and has been replaced by alarmist and insecurity-exploiting media. :wacko:

When you've been through the emotional trauma of a miscarriage, where you're blaming yourself for what you've eaten how you've manual handled certain things, there is no way i would put my baby at any sort of risk by eating or drinking any of the 'risks'. I do agree that you can be too careful, but unfortunately having a miscarriage in June emotionally scarred me, so no I will not be eating any of the 'don't' foods! Decaff all the way :coffee:

To be honest i agree with the drinking dont and raw fish and nuts and well quite a few but i cant help my cravings with some things like peanut butter lol i dnt do caffeen except a cup of weak tea when ms kicks in as i found that helps. At same time if i went through a mc i would blame myself fully even if it wasnt what i ate ect so fully understand what ppls worrys are.

I'm mostly on the "everything in moderation" side... However I don't drink alcohol even when I'm not pregnant and i always cook my eggs so theres no runny bits at all so those things aren't really a concern for me. Big ones like ibuprofen I steer clear of, but I still have ham in my sandwiches and treat myself to a bit of peanut butter on toast or a can of Pepsi max every once in a while.

I always read up on risks first and the lack of scientific evidence for things such as caffeine and peanuts puts my mind at ease. This might be worth a read re peanuts:
https://www.food.gov.uk/policy-advice/allergyintol/peanutspregnancy#.UJotKIlYCc0

I understand the concern for illness from milkshakes and deli meats but I think it's down to personal opinion as to whether the risk is too great.

I totally Agree with u kbrain. U r allowed 200mg of caffeine daily. Whoever said ur not allowed any? And also nuts is an example of poorly conducted studies. I also thought I'd heard u can't eat nuts but its not true. The used to say to stay away from peanuts only due to possible allergies but now this is what the food standards agency says....
In August 2009, the Government revised its advice to consumers about eating peanuts during pregnancy, breastfeeding and the first few years of life, in relation to the risk of developing peanut allergy in childhood.

The change in advice followed a major review of the scientific evidence that showed there is no clear evidence that eating or not eating peanuts (or foods containing peanuts) during pregnancy, breastfeeding or early childhood has any effect on the chances of a child developing a peanut allergy. Therefore, the Government’s previous advice that women may wish to avoid peanuts during pregnancy and breastfeeding and not introduce peanuts into their child’s diet before three years of age, if their child has a family history of allergy, was no longer appropriate.

The new advice is given in the table below. This advice refers only to peanuts (also known as monkey nuts or ground nuts), and not to other foods that can sometimes trigger allergic reactions (such as eggs, milk, wheat, and other nuts such as hazelnuts, almonds and Brazil nuts).

The Government is currently funding a number of studies on peanut and other food allergies, with the aim of improving understanding of how and under what circumstances these conditions develop. It is hoped that these and other studies will provide more conclusive evidence in the future.

Life stage - Pregnant or planning to have a baby
Advice on eating peanuts - If you would like to eat peanuts or foods containing peanuts (such as peanut butter) during pregnancy, you can choose to do so as part of a healthy balanced diet, unless you yourself are allergic to them or unless your health professional advises you not to.
You may have heard that some women, in the past, have chosen not to eat peanuts when they are pregnant. This is because the Government previously advised women that they may wish to avoid eating peanuts during pregnancy if there was a history of allergy in their child’s immediate family (such as asthma, eczema, hayfever, food allergy or other types of allergy). But this advice has now been changed because the latest research has shown that there is no clear evidence to say that eating or not eating peanuts during pregnancy affects the chances of your baby developing a peanut allergy.
If you have any questions or concerns, you should discuss these with your GP, midwife, health visitor or other health professional.
If you choose to avoid eating peanuts or foods containing peanuts during pregnancy, you can do so by reading the ingredients list on food labels, where peanut must be declared by law if it is an ingredient.
Find out more about what to eat when planning to have a baby or pregnant on our eatwell site.

A lot of the "don't" are totally hyped up or myths.
It really annoys me when I'm eating something and someone says Oooh u know u shouldn't eat that cos ur preg. Sorry if it sounds like im ranting but pregnancy should be somethjng u enjoy, a happy and memorable time. But some women get scared and stressed out unnecessarily due to these small things Xx

I dont tend to drink tea or coffee anyway, but will steer away from alcohol, maybe a tipple at midnight on NYE but that will probably be it. I'm not a big drinker anyway. As for nuts, Iv also heard the advice on not having them is out of date so if I fancy peanut butter or a handful of monkey nuts I'll have it. The only thing ill miss is mcflurry ice cream and runny yolk haha

Make your own mcflurry... All you need is Soft scoop, smashed up dairy milk/buttons... And a blender lol

Ok maybe not quite the same... :D

good thinking...also our favorite resteraunt is the harvester, we eat there all the time...and their icecream is the same like mcflurry so cant have that either :(

NOOOO! I forgot about that. Oh my. No Rocky Horror ice cream for another 7 months?! Goodness...

What's the concerns with runny eggs?? I have probs had two this pregnancy and had several with previous pregnancies....both children turned out fine!

As for other stuff I'm completely off alcohol and I would never have pâté or any raw fish etc, im not big on nuts, I still have milkshakes from McDonald's and a mcflurry if I have fancied one? :shrug:

X

I think the egg thing Is less of an issue these days than it was 20+ years ago. It's due to the risk of salmonella (same with mcflurries and the risk of listeria).

So in moderation is probably okay?? I always cook it both sides just until its medium, not hard but not really runny?

I had a dream last night that I went for my scan and it was twins, OH face was a picture when I told him and said "yeah it's just a dream tho" :lol: think he was generally concerned though haha, this is the worst first tri I have had in all pregnancies!

5 days :D exited!! I'm sure I caught beans HB this morning on doppler too, only for like 20 secs tho, little monkey! Deff put my mind at rest :D
X

my hubby keeps joking that he thinks im having twins...im scared in case he's right haha

I'd love it :D although we would need a new house and a new car :lol:

X x

yeh and us, we would definitely need a bigger house!! It would be hard work with twins but would also be quite exciting :)

So in moderation is probably okay?? I always cook it both sides just until its medium, not hard but not really runny?

I had a dream last night that I went for my scan and it was twins, OH face was a picture when I told him and said "yeah it's just a dream tho" :lol: think he was generally concerned though haha, this is the worst first tri I have had in all pregnancies!

5 days :D exited!! I'm sure I caught beans HB this morning on doppler too, only for like 20 secs tho, little monkey! Deff put my mind at rest :D
X

Salmonella would be on the shell of an egg if its contaminated. When you crack the egg the white is the only part that could be in contact with the shell so as long as the white is cooked its fine. Contrary to popular belief theres no harm in runny yolks.

How do you ladies feel about all the pregnancy don't, are you following them for the most part? For me, I really think that a lot of them are crap, and I really don't buy into very many of them. I do very much subscribe to the notion of everything in moderation, but I think that's true for everything in life, not just in pregnancy. Hence, I still start my day w/my cup of coffee, today I had a lunch sandwich with some deli meats, and tonight I'm having sushi for dinner with a tiny glass of wine (I do measure out 3 oz, and limit it to two or three times a week :winkwink:). It does really bother me when badly-conducted studies get hyped up and added on to the ever-growing list of "don'ts", and suddenly, everyone just adopts them as if they are fact. I think common sense has sadly escaped us, and has been replaced by alarmist and insecurity-exploiting media. :wacko:

I don't really buy into all the "don't in pregnancy" either. I feel the doctors have to tell you to completely avoid things to cover their own butts as someone somewhere had a bad reaction or didn't understand the meaning of moderation. My doctor told me to only consume organic veggies. Seems too extreme to me. A friend of mine was actually told by her doctor that a little red wine here and there is fine if not actually beneficial. Eons of children were born healthy before all these rules were set up. And today you can still do everything right and have a child with problems. With my dd I had the occasional half-glass of wine with dinner and she is fine. I also drank a diet coke every day (or else I would have fallen asleep at my desk). This time I haven't been drinking as many cokes, but I do occasionally enjoy a runny egg, a deli sandwich, a rare steak, and although I would be ok with the occasional sip of wine I have felt too nauseous to drink anything anyway, and if peanut butter is bad then I am in trouble as I've eaten a ton of Halloween Reese's peanut butter cups. For those who want to abstain please do so you have to do what you feel is best for you and your baby.

Also, why are milkshakes bad for you? This must be a UK thing as here they are made with just ice cream and milk, both of which have been pasteurized.

I would also like to know what the deal is with milkshakes? I haven't heard anything about staying away from those. As for all the rest of the don'ts, I definitely think they have been way exaggerated. I'm staying away from them for the most part anyway because I've had a miscarriage before and I don't want to blame myself should God forbid, anything go wrong, and I know I would. But I really think a little here and there of things are fine. Like many others said, look at our grandparents who didn't know they were pregnant until the 2nd tri and their babies came out fine. I also think some of them are ridiculous. Lunch meat and peanuts? COME ON!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->