• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Just started planning our wedding ...... a few questions

LittleLady04

Mum of 4
Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

Before I officially start my wedding journal I wanted to get your opinions on a couple things I have been thinking about.

I'm really tempted to have a New Years Eve wedding but I'm worried this will work out a lot more expensive. Has anyone looked into this before? Or having one? If so, how did you find the prices of reception venues in comparison to a normal Saturday wedding. If we don't do it on New Years Eve then it'll probably be in September on either a Saturday or weekday. My Dad wants to have the reception at a golf course next to the sea but he's worried it won't be so nice in December. He and my df like the idea of a Sept wedding.

I'm not sure whether having a wedding breakfast is really us. I'm thinking of getting married at 3pm and then skipping the breakfast, have photos and a light buffet available till the evening guests arrive. But when/how would you do the speeches? When people are snacking on the buffet? Do you have to have speeches? I'm not sure it would feel right without them.

The problem I would see with a New Year's Eve wedding is a lot of your suppliers would be closed for the holidays. Things like cake, flowers, hair, make up.

Nope, changed my mind! Decided against New Years Eve, thanks Lozzy for pointing out what may be difficult to arrange.

Think we'll go for either 5th or 6th September. Gonna contact reception venue and get prices for both a Friday and Saturday before we decide.

But still don't know what to do about speeches! Any ideas are welcome :)

My sister only had an evening reception. And they had a DJ who had a mic and he announced that it was time for speeches and they did them about an hour and half after the start time to make sure everyone who was coming was there and then they just stood at the front with the DJ and did the speeches xx

Just to add, I think even though we're having a wedding breakfast, we might do the speeches that way anyway as we're not having many people at the breakfast (just siblings/parents/grandparents) and we both have massive extended families so I think it would be nice if everyone could hear the speeches so we might leave them until later anyway x

Were getting married at 2pm, having a hot buffet then just sandwiches and chips in the evening. Were also having Bucks Fizz instead of champagne, make it as formal or informal as you like xx

We had our wedding booked for NYE this year and we have just cancelled it all, we have had it booked for 2 years and when booking it I booked it as 31st December 2013, now people have seen that its NYE there putting prices up which I can expect but it's getting ridiculous. DJ was £175 he now wants £900 I actually laughed at him to be told, ok ill do it for £800 but I'm bringing most of my family. Catering was £600 they now want £2,500!

With us now having to save up for IVF it has made so much sense to not have it NYE and at another date, we want to get married around 2:30 -3:30 and the have a hot buffet with a cold buffet for evening.
We're yet to set a date but I'm going to view the room today :)
Good luck in planning for your big day!! Xx

That's what I was afraid of Michelle. I think we'll definitely go back to our original plan and have it in September just gotta decide between the Friday or the Saturday.
I love the idea of a hot buffet and a cold buffet, we'll definitely be doing that :)
Just need to decide where to have the reception, finalise the date and book the church.
We're having Parents, Grandparents, Uncles, Aunties and Cousins in the day so we'll incorporate the speeches in around the hot buffet.
Thanks Ladies xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"