Ketones in urine?!

roseyblossom

Pregnant with #2
Reaction score
So as the title says, I apparently have Ketones in my urine. The doctor did a test with fresh urine sample and said yes they are present but he didn't inform if the amount was something to worry about or not. I've been prescribed with some anti-sickness tablets to stop me from throwing up so much, however he did mention if I don't get better in few days i'll be administrated to the hospital to get drips :wacko: so now im a bit worried. I been googling the effects of ketones in urine and it doesn't seem very good, in fact it suggests that it could lead to a miscarriage :cry: I'm so worried I don't really know what to do. Any one else had similar problems like this?

Heya hun, try not to worry, i was admitted into hospital for a drip a few weeks ago after a weekend of very bad sickness! I also had Ketones in my urine but was avised that they should go if i kept hydrated and drank lots of water!
Try not to worry about it and drink as much as you can.. im also on medication for MS (cyclizine) and was advised by midwife that when i couldnt eat drinking lucozade settles the stomach...it really works so i would recommend that! x x x Good luck hun x x x

Oh Thank you very much for the reply. I'm drinking lucozade as we speak. So when they put you on the drips and took you off did they do more tests to see if ketones were still present in the urine? Did they mention the risks of having them and so on, I mean i know that the bottom line is the baby is probably starving because i'm unable to eat or keep anything down :cry: it's such a horrible thing to know

Sweetie, you may be starving, but your baby is not. It's like a little parasite and gets first dibs on everything, including your fat reserves and vitamins. Just drink as much as possible and if you keep being so sick don't be afraid of the drip or of taking meds. They'll help you feel so much better!

Yeah I had it I had ketones +++ they just told me to try and get as much fluids as possible and not to worry to much on food I highly recommend lucozade what a saver also I found softmints helped me too random I know.. Hopefully u will feel better soon xxxx

Hi

Try not to worry too much, i had terrible sickness called hyperemesis gravidarum which is basically severe morning sickness all day. I had loads of key tones and was admitted to hospital and was in for 4 weeks on drips and iv anti sickness because nothing would stop it. I know its horrible but trust me it gets better and in the end is so worth it. Try not to worry yourself by reading things on the net xx

Also dont worry your little baby wont starve you baby takes everything you have which is another reason you wont be feeling too good , its just you that wont be feeling well.

x

Thank you ladies hopefully i'll feel better soon :cry: just don't want my baby suffering at any cost, I may not have yet seen it or felt it move yet but i love my little bean very very much! *very emotional right now*

Aw I understand how u feel cos I remember crying because I couldn't keep my folic acid down but the doctor just didnt seem concerned at all said that baby will be fine. I was late getting morning sickness but it went by 12 weeks. But all I have now is that disgusting taste in my mouth.xxx

Sorry to hear you're going through it at the moment. But try not to worry :)

Yes ketones can be harmful but it would take a serious serious case for it to do damage. Ketones are expersed from the body on your breath and in your urine meaning that you need to drink more. Also eating a high carb food/s will kep your ketones down too. Interms of food, ketones are produced when you're not eating enough carbs causing you to go into ketosis (which is no biggy, a lot of diets are based on this) BUT it does mean that you NEED TO KEEP HYDRATED :)

Try not to worry chick, just keep the fluids down to make you go tot he loo as often as possible.

Also....

Ketosis Sticks (POAS) can be bought from most chemists. These tell you what is a normal level of ketones or if they are high. Will help point out to you when you need more fluids

xxxxx

I had those a few weeks ago, dr told me it was just because my body was low on energy because I hadn't had much food..

My OH had a massive amount of Ketones in his urine a year and half ago he was told his diabetic

Heya hun, when they sent me home i still had some ketones in my urine so i presume its not a really bad thing, they said they would go if i just drink... that was about 4 and a half weeks ago and its all be fine since then, no further tests needed or anything... try not to worry hun, i was in the same boat and it will all work out fine!
Dont worry too much about eating, baby can survive off you, as long as your drinking lots :) Feel free to PM me if u have anymore questions! x x x

Awh thanks god for this hread :) when i went in for my booking in appointment tuesday they tested me then and said i have ketones :( they didnt explain what they were or anything and said it was just becasue of my ms.
I can only keep water down atm and cannot stomache anything else, but i cant seem to drink as much as i think i should be drinking and i dont like lucazade :(

hi hun, I was admitted to hospital for dehydration and had ketones in my urine, they put me on drip until the ketone amount had almost disappeared, gave me anti sickness tablets and sent me home. the anti sickness tablets should help you a lot so you shouldnt be getting ketones again ,(fingers crossed) if you're worried you can always ask to be checked. hope you feel better soon x

I had extremely high ketones in my urine...I looked it up and has to do with excessive vomiting. I've been in the hospital 3 times in the last 2 weeks for IV fluids - they make me feel so much better, especially if I cant' keep water down. I hope you feel better!

Popping in from 3rd tri... I have gestational diabetes and have to test every other morning for ketones because I am controlling my diabetes with diet. Basically what the doctor told me was if there are ketones in your urine, it means that your body is burning fat. Normally that would be a good thing (in my opinion) They are not harmful to us, they can be harmful to the baby if the levels are high. I had a small amount in my urine and they told me to try eating a carb snack late at night and that should help. But unless my levels are in the very high zone, they are not overly concerned about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->