Ladies 35+ will you be having all the tests?

skyrocket

Mum to 2 + 1 angel TTC #3
Reaction score
I know we get a lot of tests with the 20 week scan but I wondered about the further tests we can have and whether you would be having them.
I dont know at the moment

Im only 30 but I can say I wont be having any tests. My pg's fall under the high risk category anyway as I have lupus, but I just know that I want my baby regardless. HTH and good luck xx

I will be saying yes to all the available tests I'll be 37 by the time LO is here and have health complications anyway. I just want to be prepared.

I'm 37, with no health complications. I was offered the nuchal fold and blood test for Down's syndrome, which is routinely offered to all pregnant women in our hospital regardless of age. Happily it came back with a low risk result, so I don't feel any need for invasive testing. We're not offered any other tests just because of our age, as far as I'm aware.

xx

I think other than the tests done during the scans I don't think I will have any more. I will love this baby no matter what so what will be will be for me. I think OH will probably want all the tests though so it puts me in a quandry. xxx

Yes is will. I am 40. Had to terminate when I was carrying a baby with a catastrophic problem a few years ago. The decision was made for me really at that point as it was a hopeless situation and there was only one outcome as the baby was dying.

When I was in the clinic at that awful time, there was a youngish couple - they were in their 30's - and they had been told their child had downs. Now I really felt for them as there decision was far far harder than mine ever could be. I don't know what happened with them. But it does make it real (rather than hypothetical) and made u question what we would have done (which we did, at length)

In all honesty, I don't think I could have gone through with the pregnancy really, had I been them. Call it cowardly or mean or whatever. But there it is.

But everyone is different. I admire those who would go through with it regardless in the case of something like Downs. But I know I am not that person.

The downs tests are VERY ambiguous though. All people really want is a straight answer and the tests simply can't give you that. We look to our doctors and midwives for guidance they cannot and will not give on questions like "what should I do". Its all about percentages and what not and its not great. A necessary good or evil, depending on how you look at it.

I just wanted to wish all you ladies luck with your decisions and outcomes!! Fx'd for you all xx

I will be 35 by the time I have my next child and I do plan on having the tests done for that pregnancy but not this one. My bf has a member of his family who has downs and I would just want to be sure.

I have also been thinking about these decisions which I plan to discuss with my OB at my appt on Thursday. My DH and I both agree that finding out something is wrong with our lil bean would need some serious discussion. I know families that cope with conditions such as Downs beautifully but I don't know that we are one of those families. At this point I have no idea of the decision we would make should we have to but I want to be as educated and prepared as I possibly can. Neither of us has any risk factors for any of the conditions but because I'm 35 it is definitely an issue and was actually brought up by my OB at my first appt. She also gave me a flyer on Amnio to look at. I just don't know what we will do at this point.

Just popping over from 2nd tri to say I really struggled with this. In the end we had the triple test before any invasive tests and that came back as a really low risk thankfully but i'm glad I did have it in the end. We would never have aborted but decided in the end we would want to prepare ourselves

I'm 36 and my OH is 40 by the way!

it's a really difficult and emotive subject isn't it, i've agreed that i would have the tests but now i'm unsure. I have alot of health issues and i have a ds who is 4 and part of me thinks would it be fair on him if the baby had problems and could i cope? The other part of me thinks i shouldn't bother with the tests as they can be very uncertain and cause alot of stress for nothing in some cases. I really don't know what to do :confused:

I know what you mean. /i knew a lady who was told her baby had a very very high chance of Downs...she kept the baby and when he was born he was 'normal' (hate that word!)
Makes you wonder how many people end up terminating babies that don't have any problems xxx

I got my test results back for Downs today as 1:8693 which I am very pleased about, I'm aware I could of course be the one but it's just one less thing to worry about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->