• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Ladies who have given birth before>> What advice would you give for first timers?

charxxx

Mum & Expecting again
Reaction score
Heya everyone!

Right I'm feeling slightly guilty for the "honestly how does giving birth feel" thread! :wacko:

Sooo.. I decided to do a post on birth BUT in a nicer way! Just to help put first timers at ease and to give them advice on how to cope with labour rather than how nasty it feels and how scary it all is because at the end of the day everyone is different and I think if people had of just given me some good honest advice before hand then I would of known what to expect kind of and the advice would of been really helpful too! xx

to feel prepared is to have time to gear yourself with as much info as possible that way you feel more in control. Talk with your midwife about worries and take partner to ante natal classes.
In my honest opinion i sometimes think birth plans can be quite rigid make sure you have different options and things for hubby to do. The lead up to due date spoil yourself take long baths, do your nails, hair and a other treats to make yourself feel better!
When its happening dont panic its all natures way for you to meet baby!! At the time it seems horrible but soon as it over you forget hence you have another!!!

My only advice would be to:

a) Go with the flow. Trying to stick to a birth plan or preconceived idea of how your labour will go will stress you out.

b) Breathe! Learn breathing techniques. I wish I had and sure will this time.

Heya everyone!

Right I'm feeling slightly guilty for the "honestly how does giving birth feel" thread! :wacko:

Sooo.. I decided to do a post on birth BUT in a nicer way! Just to help put first timers at ease and to give them advice on how to cope with labour rather than how nasty it feels and how scary it all is because at the end of the day everyone is different and I think if people had of just given me some good honest advice before hand then I would of known what to expect kind of and the advice would of been really helpful too! xx

look,it's not the nicest thing in the world(birth scene) and it is the worst pain you can feel(but this is why i opted for epi twice and will do again) but the feeling that moment after giving birth or rather after the last push-it's the best thing you'll ever experience.not only because the baby is here,but because you'll be your normal self once again from that second on...so for the first timers-i know it's scarry a bit but every other time is nothing compare to carrying 9 months :)))))
there's no advice really because it's natural thing no matter you do...just think this-what is this 24,12,8,6,2 or whatever hours comparing to 9 full months...:kiss:

Heya everyone!

look,it's not the nicest thing in the world(birth scene) and it is the worst pain you can feel(but this is why i opted for epi twice and will do again) but the feeling that moment after giving birth or rather after the last push-it's the best thing you'll ever experience.not only because the baby is here,but because you'll be your normal self once again from that second on...so for the first timers-i know it's scarry a bit but every other time is nothing compare to carrying 9 months :)))))
there's no advice really because it's natural thing no matter you do...just think this-what is this 24,12,8,6,2 or whatever hours comparing to 9 full months...:kiss:

thanks for sharing this - it puts it all into a much better perspective!! :thumbup: xx

I know this is kinda on the subject...
Would you guys suggest a birthing class? Is there more you can learn there then reading in a book/online? What other classes would you take?

try not to panic. Thats my main one, i panicked and it really didnt help. take a spare long nightie in case you have a section as you wont be able to wear bottoms for a while

My advice is to go in with an open mind because things dnt always go as planned, but make sure your firm with the doctors because u need to advocate for u and baby.

My advice is to go in with an open mind because things dnt always go as planned, but make sure your firm with the doctors because u need to advocate for u and baby.

VERY good advice! :) As is everyone else's xx

a) Go with the flow. Trying to stick to a birth plan or preconceived idea of how your labour will go will stress you out.

This would be my only bit of advice really - plan not to plan and that way u won't be surprised or upset if things don't go the way you'd expected!

Even second time around it could be an entirely different experience so I shall go into it with an openmind :)

Pack a robe,

Pack comfortable clothes for going home. I thought I was going to me a tiny skinny mini again over night and felt ridiculous in the tight shirt and tight stretchy pants I packed:dohh:

Look into a tight panty girddle that comes up high, like below your breast- you can try spanx or even if you don't mind spending a bit more buy one of those post-surgery compression garments. It will help as your uterus moves back into where it belongs.

If you don't the whole world trying to peak at you during labor (before you move into delivery) plan before hand who's going to know your on your way to the hospital, who you will tell one the baby is born, and who you will tell once you get back home. Birth is exhausting enough, you don't want to deal with all the visitors.

I didn't have a plan, I didn't want to think about it too much before. It wasn't half as bad as I was expecting, the one thing that surprised me was my willingness to go and punch the woman down the ward in triage who spent the small hours screaming oh no oh god oh no!

I know this is kinda on the subject...
Would you guys suggest a birthing class? Is there more you can learn there then reading in a book/online? What other classes would you take?

I think birthing classes are a really good idea as your with other expectant mums and they can demonstrate the things they advise you to do on the day, I never took them with my daughter and I kinda wish I had as I didnt stay calm I knew basically nothing about labour and birth when I had her..

I would really love to take hypno birthing classes with this little one even if its just to learn a few extra breathing techniques and relaxation tips :) xx

When u push, u need to focus your energy on the push. Don't make any noises and keep tour chin tucked to your chest. If u make noises it takes the energy away from your pushing. I only pushed for 20 mins and everything went smooth. I just kept in mind this couple of tips and they seemed to help. Also, if u can take a class it would be helpful. It just let's u know what to expect. Honestly, the experience was much easier than i thought it would be. People will tell u horror stories but try to block them out. Every birth is different, think positively and all will go well. Good luck! Xo

I hated it. Lol. With that said, the first time u hold ur baby, u 4get all d pain. I heard mothers tell me that and I thought they were lying but it's true. Good luck sweetie. Just breathe and follow the directions given 2 u and u'll b just fine :flower:

Ps. I had the epidural... I am an advocate! ;o)

this is my 3rd time and i would really recommend ante natal classes especially ones that cover breathing excersises as these really help, breathing got me to 7cm the last time with no other pain relief and i am going to go to these classes again this time around to refresh.
The only other thing i would say is be prepared for afterwards, everyone seems to concentrate on the actual labour and birth but no one mentions afterwards - i found it hard to go to the toilet - pouring a cup of water at the same time as you wee relieves stinging, and also, the fear of going for 'the other' is quite normal lol
dont expect to go home in normal clothes - you will prob still need maternity clothes.
I personally felt like everything was going to drop out of me (from down below) when i walked down the corridor of the hospital - again normal and the best thing to stop feeling like that is pelvic floor exercises.
Listen to your midwife and be prepared for things to go differently to how you want/expect them to

I think I got very very lucky.. I had only gas and air for both, went to no classes and relatively quick births... Both times though I felt like I got to a point where I could take no more and it's then that your baby is born!! Ah man it's just so incredible and overwhelming... Hence why we do it alllll again!! Xxx

This would be my only bit of advice really - plan not to plan and that way u won't be surprised or upset if things don't go the way you'd expected!

Even second time around it could be an entirely different experience so I shall go into it with an openmind :)

Totally agree with this, like you took the words right out of my mouth. lol. Just go with the flow and labour is never normally how you would expect it :flower:

this is my 3rd time and i would really recommend ante natal classes especially ones that cover breathing excersises as these really help, breathing got me to 7cm the last time with no other pain relief and i am going to go to these classes again this time around to refresh.
The only other thing i would say is be prepared for afterwards, everyone seems to concentrate on the actual labour and birth but no one mentions afterwards - i found it hard to go to the toilet - pouring a cup of water at the same time as you wee relieves stinging, and also, the fear of going for 'the other' is quite normal lol
dont expect to go home in normal clothes - you will prob still need maternity clothes.
I personally felt like everything was going to drop out of me (from down below) when i walked down the corridor of the hospital - again normal and the best thing to stop feeling like that is pelvic floor exercises.
Listen to your midwife and be prepared for things to go differently to how you want/expect them to

This is really great advice!.. Also not everyone is prepared for the amount of bleeding afterwards so dark baggy trousers and BIG pants are the way forward.. I used to use the pouring water when you go for a wee afterwards aswell and it really does help lol xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"