Last minute plans for home birth!

Minime8

Reaction score
Being baby number 8 for me, I have been told from the start I wouldn't be allowed a home birth but I happened to see a midwife the other day who told me they can't TELL me they can only advise me. Long story short, she is coming round on Wednesday to discuss the finer details when I will be 38+1! I am excited to finally be able to have my first home birth and would be interested to hear any experiences about others, especially Mum's with lots of babies and risk of post natal bleeding?

On another note, I had to have a growth scan on Tuesday as I was measuring 7 weeks behind on fundal height but they are fine with the results of the scan which have given her weight as 5lb 7oz at 37 weeks. Does this seem OK?

Oh, also I am having a sweep on Wednesday too due to severe SPD - Anyone had one at 38 weeks and it veen successful?

Hope you're all well. I don't post here much but I do read lots!

No experience with home birth but good luck on that end! Hope it works out :) baby's weight seems a tad small though? Maybe he/she is just a smaller baby but it's good they are giving growth scans to monitor. My dd2 was born at 37.5 and weighed 7.5 pounds xx

No experience with home birth but good luck on that end! Hope it works out :) baby's weight seems a tad small though? Maybe he/she is just a smaller baby but it's good they are giving growth scans to monitor. My dd2 was born at 37.5 and weighed 7.5 pounds xx

Thank you!
I think the weight can be either side of the estimate can't it so I'm not too worried. I've never had a massive baby, my biggest was 7lb 8 and he was 4 days late. My smallest was 6lb 5 x

My first was born at 37+4 and was 5 lb 12! Good luck with the home birth x

Yay fantastic news! I love the duty of care clause your MWs have there, and its so refreshing to actually hear directly from one that they can't prevent you from accessing a homebirth (many women are bullied into believing they aren't allowed, but in the UK they are obligated to send a mw to anyone who asks them to send one even if she hasn't been approved for a homebirth)
There is a homebirthing section of the forum where you may get more replies. I know *very* few women who have regretted a homebirth though so I'm sure you will love the experience. I am having my first homebirth this year as well, having wanted one my whole adult life.

I wouldn't be worried about the baby's weight, especially if they aren't concerned. If cord function looked fine that's the important thing - humans all just come in lots of shapes and sizes, whether they're in utero or a child or an adult ;)
My first was measuring 6 weeks behind at 40 weeks and I was sent for an emergency growth scan (even though I had been consistently measuring 3-4 weeks behind the entire pregnancy and I had dropped that week) They didn't give me a weight estimate but they said she looked small but healthy and they weren't worried. She was born 10 days later weighing 8lbs so a very healthy weight.
My second I was told was measuring really small at 40 weeks too - again I didnt get a weight estimate but they said most of the measurements they took fell in the 35-37 week range. She was born 5 days later weighing 7lbs. So ya take the ultrasound weight estimates with a grain of salt

I asked about resource for home birth- I was told if it's not there you need to go in/worst case they'd have to send a paramedic- If there's no free midwife there's no free midwife

This is my first baby and I plan to have my baby at home too. I can't say they've been overly supportive but then they've not said I can't have one either. I'm 32 weeks and she wants to book me in for it and discuss it at 34 week apt

I am having second home birth and can't wait. I do have very supportive midwife care in my area and home births are very popular here.

This website is a great resource.. https://www.homebirth.org.uk/

Hello! I'm also currently contemplating homebirth :) I'm not a grand multip (YET!), but this is number 4 so I am getting closer. My baby is also measuring on the small side (was at the 6th percentile at 30 weeks, 7th percentile at 32 weeks, and I'm waiting for the results from my 34 week scan). Your baby would be in the 8th percentile BTW given the estimated fetal weight you were given. Technically speaking, anything below the 10th percentile is considered abnormal though it is very possible for baby to simply be constitutionally small (but totally normal) as opposed to having an underlying pathology causing the poor growth.

Anyways, I am also at an increased risk for a delayed postpartum hemorrhage. I have Von Willebrand's Disease (a bleeding disorder) which elevates that risk. The hormones of pregnancy cause my blood to 'normalize', however once the placenta is born my VWF levels will start to decrease which subsequently elevates my risk of hemorrhage (yay me....). I didn't actually discover I had a bleeding disorder until after my last birth, so previously it wasn't a consideration and I did have a lovely birth at home. I've never hemorrhaged postpartum, though my bleeding does tend to hover on the heavier side of normal. Well, it's definitely on the heavier side than normal.

My midwives are fairly support thus far, though I will have to sign a release stating I'm aware of the risks. Quite frankly the bleeding risk is the least of my concerns (still a concern, but it's playing a fairly minimal role in my decision for a homebirth). Because of my specific circumstances my risk of hemorrhaging will essentially be the same as the general population at the time of delivery, but will be elevated by 24 hours postpartum and will continue to elevate with each passing day for the first 2-4 weeks. So essentially, if I were to go to the hospital to give birth, my risk of having a bleed wouldn't actually be elevated until it was time for me to leave. And since I'm certainly not going to stay at the hospital for weeks, why bother going at all?! It has been decided however, that if I do decide to go through with the homebirth that I will get a saline lock (IV started) just in case to be on the cautious side.

It's actually baby's size that has me the most apprehensive about going through with the homebirth. I don't tend to make small babies, my others have been over 8 and 9 lbs, which makes me suspect that there might actually be a pathological reason for this baby's inadequate size. Thus far, all of the ultrasound findings have been normal, and baby's growth has been consistent, but there is a niggling worry in the back of my head. I still have a few weeks to go, so essentially I am playing it by ear. If baby continues to grow consistently and does not start dropping or stops growing altogether and if the doppler readings continue to be normal, etc I will probably go through with the homebirth. But if there is even the slightest indication that baby is compromised in any way, off to the hospital I go. IUGR babies aren't really something to fool around with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->