LEGAL HELP needed! regarding ending of tenancy

WhiteDove

Reaction score
Hi girls,
I had a terrible week!
we wanted to move in a bigger flat, we payed the deposit and one month rent to the agency.
the contract is made for one year with break caluse on 6 months.
last sunday when we moved our things(we were outside), a girl came out with a dog that barked havily on us, she took him inside and came back with a Pit Bull that barked havily us well. Me and my husband were very frightened.
The owner of the dogs uses the elevator, as I would cos the flat is on 5th floor so there is no way I can live there!!!
we moved to some friends since that night
we explained the situation to the agency but they don't care, they said we signed the contract and that's it.
Can I end the tenancy agreement earlier without having to pay for the rest of teh contract?

Ur best bet is to try CAB and get them to look at the contract

I would think there would be a cancellation clause in it to say for a period of 21 days or 14 days that you could cancel the conract - just like you would have with any contract

Not very helpfull but have a look at the small print and see if there is anything there to say you can cancel - all esle fails get CAB to fight your case!! :)

I found this for you - advice for landlords and tenants

https://www.tenancyagreementservice.co.uk/

In a nutshell,no I'm afraid. Your best bet is to head to the Moneysavingexpert forum,they have loads of landlords and people on there who would be able to give you some great advice,but from knowledge,as you've already signed then you're liable for the first 6mths,then you'd be able to hand your notice in. You may be able to persuade the landlord to end the tenancy early if you offered to pay advertising costs/rent up until new tenants were found.
Sorry its not a happier answer,hope you manage to sort it out :)

Are there any restrictions on keeping pets in the flats ? If so, the other person could be in breach of their lease....

You could leave but you would be liable to pay the 6 months rent up until the break clause i expect.

I know here in Canada, pets are allowed no matter what, even if a lease is signed saying no pets.

That said, you could use the argument that you didn't realize there would be an animal in the premises and you are extremely allergic. That can be used as a reason to break a lease (here anyway)

i had to move, i only gave a months notice, the landlord required the month to advertise the building again, i didnt have to pay anything extra and they were fine with it, at the end of the day they cant make you stay there, especially if youre concerned about your safety

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->