Let's share educational tools for our kids and their friends

RDev

Reaction score
Let's all share everything we find that educates kids about families with same sex parents.

I want to share something I found that helps us a community, an ebook to teach children to accept all types of families. My 5 year likes it because it reads to him and helps teach him to read. It's called Families Come in Many Different Shapes, Sizes, and Colors in the app store.

The more we can all strive for a diverse education among our children, the easier their futures will be. As a gay parent I struggle when faced with ignorance, let's teach children to accept all types of families. If we all contribute to this cause, our children will grow up in a more loving and accepted world. :hugs:

What a great idea. I have come across a few links to resources that I haven't actually physically seen but do look quite good...

To start with I found this book as a guide to selecting children's books https://www.abc-clio.com/product.aspx?isbn=9781598849608

Hiya, theres some great books on Amazon. Im going to get a few different ones. Sorry cant remember the names of them. x

I can't attest to this book yet exactly, as it's still being printed- but I'm expecting my copy to arrive mid-june...

Anyhow, it's called "What makes a baby" by cory silverberg. it works for ALL families and leaves a few blank pages in the middle where you can insert your own specific family creation techniques to whatever degree you wish...

a blurb from the site....
"What Makes a Baby is my response to the fact that books about where babies come from leave many of us out. They tell a nice story (mommy + daddy + intercourse = you!) but the truth is that more and more of us are acknowledging the help we get to bring children into our lives. That help might be a doctor, fertility clinic, adoption or foster agency; it might be a turkey baster and a friend; it might be a sperm donor or a surrogate. What Makes a Baby helps parents tell children a story about where they came from that isn’t just true for them, but true for everyone.

Crafted for children roughly from pre-school to 8-years-old, What Makes a Baby is written and illustrated to include all kinds of kids, all kinds of adults, and all kinds of families - regardless of how many people were involved, what the orientation, gender identity, or other make up of the family is, or how it came to be that way. It's a social justice approach to sex education. Like all picture books, it's meant to be read to a child and gives the adult reader the opportunity to fill in as much detail as they would like."

I think what helped for me (especially since I lived in a very, very caucasian city in the midwest) was that my mom bought me a good mix of dolls and barbies (as good as you could get in the 80s and early nineties) so I had African American, Asian, and Caucasian toys and there was never a big deal made out of it. We also went to Native American church services and Sudanese services which I think helped me understand that people are people, sometimes different groups do things different ways, etc. Also, having Sudanese food and fry bread was a blast in comparison to my bland midwest diet.

As I have just mentioned in a reply about dealing with kids questions is....I would like some books that have SSP in it...but where it is not the main focus of the book.

I have seen a couple of books that directly tackle the questions some kids get about their 2 mummies or 2 daddies.

But what I really want is a book about the seaside/fun fair/birthday party where the parents just happen to be SSP...so that it is just normal :) I have noticed that more childrens books (especially ones that are school reading schemes like the "Kipper" books) where characters are of different origins or have disabilities...but not seen any SSP yet!

Any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->