Let's talk food

motherofboys

Reaction score
What are you guys all having this year?
We've decided to get a Gammon, turkey crown and a small bit of lamb too. We usually have 2 different meats but only half of us eat lamb and we normally would get a ham for boxing day as well so just decided to do all 3 and the left over Gammon will keep for boxing day.

Not sure which alternative pudding we'll have yet, again only half of us eat Christmas pudding so we always have a couple of choices.

We usually have honey roast parsnips but I'm thinking about adding carrots to it this year as well.

We usually have a turkey crown with potatoes, red cabbage, sprouts, carrots and maybe parsnips although neither boy likes them. As for desserts I think maybe profiteroles or possibly just vanilla icecream with chocolate sauce and sprinkles.
I am still unsure if SIL and MIL will be coming or if we are going there at some point :shrug: but it depends on that what there will be for boxing day.
Last year we went to a restaurant for xmas eve and that was so so nice and I hope we can do that again this time.

We normally have 2 turkeys and a ham with the usual trimmings. For dessert we’ll have a couple of options not sure which yet.

DH and I were speaking about food yesterday. He said to just get a large chicken plus a small joint of beef or lamb, as its only us four and his cousin.....but I like turkey so we will see whats available

We always have roast potstioes, honey roast parsnips and carrots, tenderstem broccoli, swede and maybe peas plus stuffing and Yorkshire.

Desert is usually a cheesecake of some sort. I'd love to make my own but I'm useless with deserts....and food in general

Oh I couldn't cook to save my life and that includes desserts! Luckily all that is OH's job or we would spend boxing day in bed with food poisoning :haha:

I have made my own cheesecakes in the past but it's so expensive for the ingredients compared to just buying one, and tbh I prefer a lazy Christmas if I can :haha:

Oh yes, we get a lot of pre-prepared stuff too. Nick loves cooking but I want him to be able to relax too. He does insist on his own roast potatoes though and they really are a highlight of every Sunday roast, I do admit! : drool:

Yes we are the same, there's some things you can't compromise on but everything else I'll take the short cut. John often does the Christmas Dinner, or we'll do a bit each, but again I don't want him to lose his entire Christmas day to cooking

We will either have turkey or chicken with gammon, roast potatoes, honey roast parsnips, stuffing, carrots, broccoli, Yorkshire pudding, cranberry sauce and gravy. For starters probably a prawn cocktail and dessert cheesecake.

Meat wise we will have
Chicken (can’t justify a Turkey for the 3 of us plus we all like chicken)
Gammon (will cook this Christmas Eve and will do for leftovers for picky bits too)

Mash (I always buy pre made don’t have the patience to do that on Christmas with everything else haha)
Roasties
Yorkshire puddings (will home make these)
Sprouts/broccoli for those who don’t like them
Carrots
Parsnips
Swede mash
Cauliflower cheese (also buy pre made there’s only me and h who like it)
Stuffing
Gravy I buy pre made for Christmas
Pigs in blankets

we don’t have a starter, will have trifle for dessert
Drinks Buck’s Fizz for me and j20 for the kids it’s the only time I buy them!

It’s pretty much always just the 5 of us at Christmas because we travel so much.
So this year we are having;

•Turkey Breast
•Hubby wants to smoke Ribs
•roast sweet and regular potatoes or mashed
•stuffing
•Mac and Cheese
•carrots, green beans
•gravy
•cranberry sauce
•dinner rolls

Dessert;
•Pumpkin pie ( :sick:Hubby and son like it)
•Apple pie
•whipped cream
•homemade hot chocolate

very unhealthy but hey it’s Christmas lol

I'm feeding 6 of us this year.

I never bother with turkey. I'm getting an extra large chicken and 2 gammon joints to have leftovers.

Veg wise I'm doing roast potatoes, steamed sprouts, carrots and broccoli, peas, honey roasted carrots and parsnips, cauliflower cheese.

Then the sauces and gravy and of course yorkshire puddings.

Dessert wise I'm not sure because thomas isn't a massive dessert fan. I'll probably do a couple of options, cheesecake, bannoffee pie etc. We don't like Christmas pudding.

Then the usual stuffing, pigs in blankets

I must be one of few that just doesn't like gammon. That said can't remember the last time I actually tried it.....

I must be one of few that just doesn't like gammon. That said can't remember the last time I actually tried it.....

We love it and it's such a cheap way to make sure you can have lots of leftovers for boxing day.

Breakfast - pancakes and crumpets

Meat - chicken and gammon. I want lamb but the girls don't like it and OH isn't keen
Veg - carrots, broccoli, cauli, cabbage, roasted parsnips, sprouts
Extra - pigs in blankets, stuffing, cauli cheese, yorkies, gravy, mint sauce, cranberry sauce

Dessert - cupcakes, gateau and trifle

Tea - left over meat, cheese, crackers, mini sausage rolls, nuggets, tortilla chips, salsa/dips, carrot and cucumber sticks, cakes, pizza etc. I try to do a mini spread and carry over to boxing day

We had turkey, pudding and a few other dishes. We never cook a lot of meat because it can really poison you. I often get poisoned but I also Buy Motilium Medication which helps me feel better. I think there are people like my family who don't cook many kinds of meat for Christmas or other holidays

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"