LH surge/+opk and ovulation in older women

kosh

proud new mum!
Reaction score
hi all,
i was wondering if anyone knows if there is any correlation between older age and the time between getting a +opk and the real ovulation time. in other words, do older women ovulate sooner/closer to the +opk (say 12-24hs later), or do they ovulate later (say 36-48 or maybe even later)? or there is no trend?

i'm asking because i'm trying to get a better idea of when i do actually ovulate (i do not temp). i'm 40.

i'm a bit surprised because i got a positive opk on monday morning but i only just now got ewcm (over 72hs later)??!

any ideas?
thanks!

hi all,
i was wondering if anyone knows if there is any correlation between older age and the time between getting a +opk and the real ovulation time. in other words, do older women ovulate sooner/closer to the +opk (say 12-24hs later), or do they ovulate later (say 36-48 or maybe even later)? or there is no trend?

i'm asking because i'm trying to get a better idea of when i do actually ovulate (i do not temp). i'm 40.

i'm a bit surprised because i got a positive opk on monday morning but i only just now got ewcm (over 72hs later)??!

any ideas?
thanks!

Good question Kosh, I just wish I had an answer for you.
I am 37 myself and would be interested in hearing anything on this.
Anyone???
:hugs:

not sure hon - I dont do opks anymore as my LH is too high so I just get perm positives as have pcos - it was soo frustrating getting positives for 3 weeks or more!

Hope someone has the answer for you x

Have you had a negative test after the positive test? The theory is in some women LH levels are always high so the tests will show as positive or near-positive - I believe this is in women with PCOS, and in perimenopausal women. I am hoping not the latter for myself (or for you!). I have just received my OPK in the mail so I did a test 5 dpo and it was almost positive. I will wait until next cycle before trying again so as not to drive myself mad with theorizing.

I would try to confirm the OPK result with temping so keep on BD'ing until you see that temp rise! Baby dust!

aye I just always got positives I just stick to BBT now - positive opks every day is expensive, time consuming and so frustrating! :)

babydust to everyone - Im out this month as AF is on her way today

I know this may sound really silly but are they definitely positive positives? I am putting in my current cycle below - the 4th one down is the positive - where the test line is darker than the control line. I get approx 50 tests for $15 so very very cheap.

I get the temp rise the very next day after the positive so I think the surge itself is short with O shortly after but I have plenty of notice that it is coming as you can see, the very first one that I didn't include was a pure white strip no second line at all

I am 43 in a few weeks and been using opk's and charting for a while and this cycle was the first time I saw a "real" positive and been slapping myself now knowing the positives from the past weren't if you know what I mean, hence the reason I ask the question and am sharing the pics.

https://forum.birth.com.au/members/miss_c-albums-operation+bring+back+ziggy-picture22751-opks.jpg

theyre really good pics Miss C - I can see what you mean - v hard to tell! perhaps with me it was always picking up nearly positives?

What are you using Kosh?

Im 44 and i normally get a strong positive a day or two before ovulation. The lines start getting darker about 3 days before the positive one and ill have sometimes 2 days of dark positives, sometimes even a positive when i have actually ovulated. Ive been TTC for a bit under 2 years and that has never changed for me really.

I love this question, as I was pondering the same for a while. The first time I tried using opk's I never got a positive, even testing twice a day on 7-9dpo. Either that cycle was annovulatory or my surge is very quick!

I would always get a +opk for 2 days and would OV within 24 hours of the 2nd + (I was 36 at the time) I was tracking my CM and temping, so that I could be certain. We would only have sex once a month on the day of the first + opk and it only took us 2 months to get pregnant.

Im 38 and I find I seem to ovulate 12-24 hours after my positive ov test. last month I had a little spot of blood and usually I get cramping. My FS said most women are 24 hours later. I dont think theres any link to age and the timing.

I use the digital smiley face tests, as I find the ones with the lines Im not always sure if they are a positive or not, and often you dont know until they start going lighter and then it could be too late! a lot of people dont get really dark double lines.

Usually I get the smiley face around CD17. well last month I found myself really wet down there CD13 and so BD'd. that night I got my smiley face! I dont tend to check CM but that was so noticable and it was a day before I got that spot of blood from (I think) ovulation. So not sure if you getting it 72 hrs later means you ovulated later, as mine was the day before.

What are you using Kosh?

i was using tesco opks, but i got a CBFM for next cycle
i would get +opk for 2 days and then the lines go lighter gradually until they turn negative

Usually I get the smiley face around CD17. well last month I found myself really wet down there CD13 and so BD'd. that night I got my smiley face! I dont tend to check CM but that was so noticable and it was a day before I got that spot of blood from (I think) ovulation. So not sure if you getting it 72 hrs later means you ovulated later, as mine was the day before.

I really don't know what that was, as my opk was negative by then (I think!).
that's something else that's bothering me - for the last 2 months my ewcm seems to have almost dissapeared!

that's something else that's bothering me - for the last 2 months my ewcm seems to have almost dissapeared!

Me too Kosh, my EWCM seems to have had a holiday since New Year's eve (funny how you remember days like that exactly innit?!) Hello? Where have you gone??:shrug: I was so sure of it that I've not bothered with OPK's but am going back to them this month. So you reckon Tesco one's are quite good? I was using clear blue, but they ain't cheap!! Lots of luck xXx

So you reckon Tesco one's are quite good? I was using clear blue, but they ain't cheap!! Lots of luck xXx

I think they are fine, but I decided to invest in a CBFM anyway! I've got some spare Tesco's opk so I'm planning to use both next cycle in order to compare them. I let you know!

I use tescos opk's and they are spot on with me...i used ones originally from homebargains and wilkies and never got a positive on those. I even opk'd with both a tesco and a wilkies one with the same urine. Tesco's came up positive and the cheapie one didnt.

yeah Ive never really been able to figure out the CM stuff, it all seems the same to me unless I get really wet. Im often quite wet from Ov-Period as well, and you are supposed to be drier then. so perhaps its not a good indicator and dont go by it! the ov tests I think are pretty good, although you can get a surge and not ovulate which is annoying. I also had 2 months where I never got my surge, it was so annoying but I think I was testing too late. It seems back on track now. good luck!!

Good question. I was finding that I regularly got the opk + on the same day as I O'd (according to my charting) which was really pissing me off as I felt I wasn't getting a warning at all. Then I started doing 2 tests a day 3 days before I was expecting to O and found that I often got a positive very late at night - which meant that in the past, several hours had already gone by the time I tested and I was getting the + more towards the end of the surge.

The day before yesterday I did 3 tests (All smiley face ones) the results I got were:

1330 = Neg 1930 = Neg 2315 = Pos

If I'd just done one a day at 1330 I would have been 14 hours past the beginning of the surge by the time I got it. (incidentally, I did do another one at 1330 the next day and it was still positive and turned negative that night) - It's worth experimenting.

I use tescos opk's and they are spot on with me...i used ones originally from homebargains and wilkies and never got a positive on those. I even opk'd with both a tesco and a wilkies one with the same urine. Tesco's came up positive and the cheapie one didnt.

Hi Serendippy - how you doing hun? Not seen/heard from you in ages, you okay?flower: Thank you for the advice on the OPK's, I've bought some Tesco one's and am on CD13 so getting ready to use them when I get in from work tonight. Was VERY interested to read on their blurb that you shouldn't test with first morning wee (other's don't say this) - which I've always done before, maybe that's where I'm going wrong!! I'll let you know how I get on with them. Take care xXx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->