LH surge/+opk and ovulation in older women

Good question. I was finding that I regularly got the opk + on the same day as I O'd (according to my charting) which was really pissing me off as I felt I wasn't getting a warning at all. Then I started doing 2 tests a day 3 days before I was expecting to O and found that I often got a positive very late at night - which meant that in the past, several hours had already gone by the time I tested and I was getting the + more towards the end of the surge.

The day before yesterday I did 3 tests (All smiley face ones) the results I got were:

1330 = Neg 1930 = Neg 2315 = Pos

If I'd just done one a day at 1330 I would have been 14 hours past the beginning of the surge by the time I got it. (incidentally, I did do another one at 1330 the next day and it was still positive and turned negative that night) - It's worth experimenting.

Wonderful info for those looking to use OPK's! I tried them in January and was so confused by the lack of a positive test, but upon further research found that I was going to have to use more than one a day as well. With 3 there is no question that you have found when your surge begins and are better able to time when you should ovulate.

Hi

I am 35 and this month used OPK's for first time - my cycles used to be 30 days spot on now they are all over the place so this really helped. I was doing 2 a day - Monday both were negative, Tuesday am was postive Tuesday evening was positive and Wednesday morning positive but Wednesday evening negative again - we BD's Monday Tuesday and Wednesday using Pre Seed so I have everything crossed it worked for us :dust:

Hi

I am 35 and this month used OPK's for first time - my cycles used to be 30 days spot on now they are all over the place so this really helped. I was doing 2 a day - Monday both were negative, Tuesday am was postive Tuesday evening was positive and Wednesday morning positive but Wednesday evening negative again - we BD's Monday Tuesday and Wednesday using Pre Seed so I have everything crossed it worked for us :dust:

Fingers crossed Clucky that you get your BFP very soon!
:hugs::hugs:

I'm 39 and usually ov the day after my first peak. I use the CBFM and the odd digi one as I found the internet cheapies were very inconsistent. It is true that quite often the lh surge is in the evening so my ic tell you to check twice a day. If you just do fmu you could miss it that day.

Usually I get the smiley face around CD17. well last month I found myself really wet down there CD13 and so BD'd. that night I got my smiley face! I dont tend to check CM but that was so noticable and it was a day before I got that spot of blood from (I think) ovulation. So not sure if you getting it 72 hrs later means you ovulated later, as mine was the day before.

I really don't know what that was, as my opk was negative by then (I think!).
that's something else that's bothering me - for the last 2 months my ewcm seems to have almost dissapeared!

Me too Kosh, my EWCM seems to have had a holiday since New Year's eve (funny how you remember days like that exactly innit?!) Hello? Where have you gone??:shrug: I was so sure of it that I've not bothered with OPK's but am going back to them this month. So you reckon Tesco one's are quite good? I was using clear blue, but they ain't cheap!! Lots of luck xXx

Hi Kosh and Jax

I'm also suffering from a noticeable absence of ewcm since my m/c late November last year. My cycles returned to normal immediately despite m/c being quite late at 12+ weeks but have struggled to see much at all - sorry, TMI. I am taking vitex and EPO prescribed by my herbalist but last month I supplemented with gallons of water, grapefruit juice, robitusin, green tea, blah, blah. No difference at all, much to my annoyance, so this month, in a spirit of telling myself I'm more relaxed about the whole thing (whatever you say!) I've stuck to only my prescription with lots of water. I also know that just because you can't SEE it, doesn't mean it's not there, it's just that I've always seen it in the past.

Also......for the record, I'm 2dpo in my first cycle using CBFM and the main benefit for me is that, unlike opks, you have to use FMU so none of this 'don't drink, don't pee' for 4 hours in the middle of the day which I found terribly inconvenient while using opks, as well as it not encouraging you to keep your fluid intake up. Sadly, circumstances conspired against us somewhat and we ended up dtd only on the morning of my second peak reading as we missed the first peak day so don't think we actually maximised its potential this month. Something to look forward to next month I guess xx

I am almost 39 and have been charting and using OPK since Dec.. I usually get a single LH surge on CD 16 or 17, but do not ovulate until CD 19. I was wondering the same thing and looked at the fertility friend charts to see if there was an age correlation...Did not notice one.

I also do not have much EWCM so we use ProSeed...There is definitely an age correlation there.

I just wanted to mention that I used EPO (evening primrose oil) and by the second month of use had a noticeable increase in EWCM. I hear drinking grapefruit juice works as well, but I never tried that. Natural EWCM will increase your chances more than preseed. I got pregnant the month we didn't use preseed.

I got pregnant the month we didn't use preseed.

thats interesting, my FS told me not to use preseed as she wasnt 100% convinced any lubricant was sperm friendly and said most of the claims are put out by the company. I think she even said to use egg white!! but so many people have had success with it on here, Im just following what my FS says. I find the morning I get my positive ov test Im very 'wet' down there, but Ive never really looked closely or understood all the different types of cm.

I just wanted to mention that I used EPO (evening primrose oil) and by the second month of use had a noticeable increase in EWCM. I hear drinking grapefruit juice works as well, but I never tried that. Natural EWCM will increase your chances more than preseed. I got pregnant the month we didn't use preseed.

I am looking into EPO, but I have problems swallowing large pills....so I am trying to find it in liquid form. I guess I should also try the grapefruit juice...yuck...

The grapefruit juice is great, I find it makes a big difference. It must be pink grapefruit and 100% juice not from concentrate - it's actually quite refreshing and not quite as bitter as the normal yellow grapefruits, and I have a very sweet tooth!

I just wanted to mention that I used EPO (evening primrose oil) and by the second month of use had a noticeable increase in EWCM.

i´ve heard of EPO - how much do need to take?

The grapefruit juice is great, I find it makes a big difference. It must be pink grapefruit and 100% juice not from concentrate - it's actually quite refreshing and not quite as bitter as the normal yellow grapefruits, and I have a very sweet tooth!

i should not have a problem with this, i love grapefruit and i usually have half for breakfast! how much do you drink?

I just wanted to mention that I used EPO (evening primrose oil) and by the second month of use had a noticeable increase in EWCM.

I took 1000mg a day, but only take it up until OV and then stop. Some find 500 mg a day to be enough.

From what I've read, 1500-3000mg per day. I bought 500 mg capsules and I take two with each meal (though sometimes I forget at lunch). You only want to take EPO between menstruation and ovulation as it can cause uterine contractions, which you don't want in early pregnancy.

I'm so glad I was told about this thread. I definitely needed to see that this was not just happening to me and it was age related.

I'm 40 and on CD16 with NOTHING but lows on the CBFM (first month using). I'm doing OPKs as well because I'm so freaked out that I'm not Oing. I had a light line the other day, but it was lighter yesterday (I'm certain my urine was diluted though). FF has me set to O on CD18, so I thought I should at least have a high reading on the CBFM by now. Maybe not? My temps are also stable so far this month.

Last night and today, I've started feeling some twinges, which has be even more worried that I AM Oing, and the CBFM is missing it. So, if any of you feel your O, does that mean that the twinges are the egg dropping or that it will drop soon?

I really need to get a handle on how all this works before I make myself completely INSANE. I just really want this to work for us, and I'm freaked about my age. Ugh!

EDIT: Did an OPK, and this was the result. Not quite positive, but darker than yesterday. Hopefully, the monitor will register something tomorrow.

https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/6056/photo7ch.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So, if any of you feel your O, does that mean that the twinges are the egg dropping or that it will drop soon?

i do feel the twinges around Ov now (i didn't use to before my MC). last month it was rather painful actually. i really want to think that that IS Ov!

I really need to get a handle on how all this works before I make myself completely INSANE. I just really want this to work for us, and I'm freaked about my age. Ugh!

i'm exactly the same. i was rather relaxed last year when we started TTC in sept'10. but now since i turned 40 last month I am panicking I will stop Ov soon. I am driving myself mad! :nope:

I'm so glad I was told about this thread. I definitely needed to see that this was not just happening to me and it was age related.

I'm 40 and on CD16 with NOTHING but lows on the CBFM (first month using). I'm doing OPKs as well because I'm so freaked out that I'm not Oing. I had a light line the other day, but it was lighter yesterday (I'm certain my urine was diluted though). FF has me set to O on CD18, so I thought I should at least have a high reading on the CBFM by now. Maybe not? My temps are also stable so far this month.

Last night and today, I've started feeling some twinges, which has be even more worried that I AM Oing, and the CBFM is missing it. So, if any of you feel your O, does that mean that the twinges are the egg dropping or that it will drop soon?

EDIT: Did an OPK, and this was the result. Not quite positive, but darker than yesterday. Hopefully, the monitor will register something tomorrow.

https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/6056/photo7ch.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us

hi shelley just thought id join this thread and give my input, for a start they say 40 is the new young, there is time for you to get pg yet , i have never used opk`s in the past and always believed i ovulated around day 14 of a 28 day cycle this has been all my ovulating years and i am 43 and gpt pg first time when i was 19 then it was just a case of having sex loads n not really knowing anything about ov or cycle lengths ect, however when i was trying for my 6th i looked up ov ect and found all the information but still didnt use opks so when i got to my 4th month trying i thought i had ov pains around cd16/17 so thought i might just try :sex: a few days longer and that month i got pg, i have been trying for number 7 i am 43 number 6 came at age 42 , anyway after my 3rd month i thought i would try some opks and found my +opk came on day 16 early afternoon and later that day i had some serious ov pains confirming ov later than i had ever thought , anyway 2days after af due i tested and got my bfp , so i would just like for you to have lots of pma there is no way you are too old so please don`t give up and sending lots of pma :dust: and good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->