Lied to my OH to get him to agree to the only boy name I like

jessmke

Reaction score
We are team yellow but I am absolutely sure this baby will be a boy. The problem is I don't like any boy names, I have read hundreds of baby name threads on this site, countless name lists online, and don't like a single boy name that I have come across.

The one and only name that I don't hate is Asher. My OH thinks it's a 'soft' name for a boy and sounds made up, and said the only way he would consider it is if it were a Scottish name because then it would 'go' with our daughter's name (Isla). So I lied and said it was Scottish, and he has now come around and agreed to the name.

What do I do? I have a tough time hiding the truth from people, my conscience always gets the better of me, but I want to use this name! What would you do?

I would talk to him and explain that you lied and why you lied, explain how you feel about all this and how difficult choosing a boy name is for you.

Then I would maybe consider not staying team yellow... You could save yourself a lot of stress by finding out the gender. Imagine if the baby is by any chance a girl! All the stress with choosing a boy name would be gone!

You're gonna have to tell him, if he gets remotely curious about the name meaning and googles it, or someone says something to him then the jig is up! He might come around on his own, my favourite boys name is Eli, don't really like many other and at first DH hated it but for some reason he likes it now and we can use it! Just tell him how much you love it and he might find he likes it now

I think you will just have to come clean and admit to him as it will only come out in the future at some point and it's better that he knows sooner rather than later. If the name has grown on him then he might still decide to use it anyway.

I'm going to slightly deviate from everyone else here, bear with me. I agree that you shouldn't have lied. But you know that yourself and feel bad that you did. I'd say rather than straight up telling him you lied (which I normally would always say is the best option), save the both of you more stress and heartache by just telling him it's not Scottish but not about having lied on purpose. You don't sound like you make a habit of lying so I really don't think he'd gain anything by having that information. So I'd say just tell him that "actually, xyz website says it's of xyz origin, not Scottish at all, like I thought". Then tell him that you love it anyway though and can't see baby being anything else. Maybe he'll still be ok to use it?

If you do need a new boy name, here are a few nice ones that are actually Scottish or connected to Scotland ;-)
Cameron
Arran
Nevis
Angus
Hamish
Jamie
Wallace

He'll almost certainly find out at some point, be it before your LO is born or after, and then it could be a big issue. I'd just be honest and say that you love the name but were misinformed (by yourself :winkwink:) and it isn't Scottish in origin but you think it goes really well with your DD's name and would still like to use it.

It sounds to me like you know you've done the wrong thing by lying and if it's eating away at you now it will surely eat away at you more once bub is born. If your OH were to find out himself after the baby is named it would possibly make it worse than if you just owned up.

There is always the possibility he will still want to use it anyway. Honesty is the best policy in my opinion.

How about Archie? It is similar and doesn't sound as 'soft'. You could use Archibald or Archer if you prefer and use NN Archie?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->