List of things i will need for Homebirth

Kayleigh Lou

Reaction score
I can not wait to start buying things ready for our home birth but then it hit us...what will we need? Weve have opted for a Home water birth so i know a pool is one thing to buy but what about all the lil bits. Ill have all the necessaries for baby so that will be sorted.

Eurgh....where do i start :shrug::shrug:

Any help ladies will be great xxxxx

If you do a little search on here youll find this question has come up many times before!!

My answer is always the same.... You don't NEED anything...you have everything you need to have an easy, wonderful home birth within YOU :winkwink:

Im gonna get some new towels to warm for baby when she is born & some new bedsheets (because there's nothing nicer than getting into nice new bedsheets, and I would imagine that feeling to be multiplied by 100 after giving birth & having snuggles with my hubby & new baby!) and maybe a shower curtain to put down to protect the floor.

That's all Im getting though I think though pretty much :) xx

thats a nice idea about the bedding linzi, i hadn't thought of that

im on the hunt for cheap big bath towels at the mo too because i seem to go through loads of them during labour/birth!!

Yeah me too, I don't want to buy expensive ones really but Id be worried about supermarket value ones would be too rough on her skin.

If you find any let me know!! lol xx

Will do! Ive been scouring ebay to see if there are any bale bargains on there! Ill link you if i come across any :)

Thanks ladies...im sure my midwife gave me a list otherwise i dont know where the idea of a dust sheet came from lol...:haha:

Im thinking towels, Dust sheet (new bedding sounds FAB!!!) and maybe some snacks for those who are there with me???? :shrug:

I dont want to get too much as i can see me not needing it (like those lists they give you for your hospital bag-half of it pointless) And like the first poster said i should only need myself :thumbup:

my hubby bought a dust sheet on Saturday for our homebirth :rofl: I dunno how well it'll work cos it doesn't look very thick. Guess we'll soon find out!

xxx

Yep snacks is good and also making sure you have plenty of milk/tea/coffee etc for guests is a good shout

Have a read through this thread :)

https://www.babyandbump.com/home-natural-birthing/618817-things-have-home-home-birth.html

The Primark towels won an award from Good Housekeeping magazine so I bet they'll be nice and good value.

My tip for the bed of you've not got anyone there to make it up for you while you and OH are enjoying that first hour together: in early labour put new duvet cover and pillow slips on. Then put your fav/new sheet on the bed, then a plastic sheet/inco pads then another fitted sheet you're not fussed about. Then you can use the bed at any point during labour and not worry about the sheets getting messed up. Once baby is here you can whip the top sheet etc off to reveal crispy clean sheet ready to hop into and chuck the fresh duvet and pillows back on the bed :). Yum!

What is the placenta delivered into? Do we need a washing up bowl or something?

(sorry for thread hijacking :dohh:)

xxx

i was looking at tupperwear boxes earlier to put it in so i can stick it in the fridge but i wasnt sure of what size to go for as i seem to have HUGE placentas :/

They usually bring a clinical waste container for it and you just keep it in that or they take it away in the same thing x

oh my!!! i totally didnt think about the placenta!!

eurgh ive gone slightly queasy at he thought of hubby finding it in the fridge!!!! :rofl:

I'm going to get some of the pampers night time sheets for bed wetters to put under the sheet on the bed! They have a plastic backing and are absorbant so the mattress won't get stains if I go on the bed at any point and they feel nicer to be on top of rather than plastic sheeting!!

I'll probably make up my bed with them from about 36 weeks onwards just incase my waters go at night too!!

^^^^^ look at puppy training pads, they can be cheaper than pampers. If you have a Poundland near you look there.

i used 99p shop specials.... i also got a pack of 2 shower curtains from there to use on the floor under my 'nest'

I had the following

Birth pool
Shower curtain to protect the floor plus some old towels so i didn't slip when i needed to get out and go to the loo
A really good, bright, flexible night light so they can stitch you up if you need it.
An oil filled radiator (we don't have any control over our heating so we had it to warm the towels and baby clothes on)
Some of the large incontinence bed pads for the bleeding afterwards so i did not ruin my bed sheets.
Isotonic drinks and sweets for energy
My fave music on my ipod
A sieve.... just incase i poohed in the pool - luckily i did not lol!!!

xx

This isn't really anything you need.. but a might like to have

I found today in B&Q some battery opperated lights (adn you can change the batteries) that change colour. They are so cool!.. and only £1 each.
As it isn't adviseable to have tea lights or candles with oxygen around or GnA as we might go boom.. these are a great to have to set the mood. It changes colour between, green, blue, pink, purple, white, orange, red,yellow and white.

I'm so in love with it - I've bought 5.

Zolo - Colour change LED light
https://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?fh_search=zolo

Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe