Long follicular phase and short luteal phase - what to do!?!

MrsHY

Reaction score
Hello everyone
I'm new here and this is my first post. I just kind of want to tell my story and see if anyone has any words of wisom/advice?!
We've only been TTC for 3 months, but as I have PCOS (diagnosed in 2005 when I wasn't having any periods at all, prescribed metformin in 2006 and periods restarted, literally as if by magic) I decided to start charting straight away.
Over the past couple of months I have seen good signs that I am ovulating (seen those old egg whites and temperature has risen), but I'm ovulating late (day 20) and then getting dark brown spotting 5 days later, which lasts for 4-5 days, then my period. So, I think I'm dealing with a long follicular phase, and short luteal phase.
I'm now having acupuncture, am just about to start reflexology, and am taking agnus castus tincture (said to shorten the follicular phase) and vit B (said to extend the luteal phase) daily.
I guess I'd like to know whether anyone's cycle is similar to mine, and whether you have addressed it with any other treatments, either natural or chemical?
Don't get me wrong - given 18 months with no periods at all in 2003-2005 I'm overjoyed even to be ovulating... but given I've come this far I'd really like to know what else I can do to reach an even higher level of 'normality'!
Thanks everyone - even if you've just read this I feel better already!
MrsHYx

Hi MrsHY! This is my 8th cycle ttc. I have been using OPK's for about 4 months now. I try to temp but I'm not so great at that. I always seem to forget. Anyways, according to my OPK's I was only having 8-9 day LP. I was getting a positive OPK on cd 23 and af would show up on cd 32. I didn't have spotting, just a short LP. I started taking b complex vits and vitex about 2 cycles ago and last month OV'd on cd 18 and af arrived on cd 28. So not a lot better but it shortened my cycle and I had a 10 day LP. This month I'm on cd 19 and just got a pos opk. I am hoping my LP will keep increasing! how long have u been taking the vit b and vitex?

Thank you so much for replying! :flower:
It sounds like you are making great progress with the Vitex and Vit B!! I've only been taking both since around day 10 of my last cycle, so I've still got a way to go. My period this month was really bizarre - 7 days of light spotting, then nothing (and I got all excited thinking it might be a pregnancy) but it started properly today.
Can I ask if you take the Vitex throughout your cycle or do you stop once you know you've ovulated? I've heard conflicting advice.
Thanks again for replying... x

Hi MrsHY,
Have you been to the Dr about the spotting? You might get some hormonal tests done. I heard spotting and short LP can be a symptom of low progesterone.

Thank you so much for replying! :flower:
It sounds like you are making great progress with the Vitex and Vit B!! I've only been taking both since around day 10 of my last cycle, so I've still got a way to go. My period this month was really bizarre - 7 days of light spotting, then nothing (and I got all excited thinking it might be a pregnancy) but it started properly today.
Can I ask if you take the Vitex throughout your cycle or do you stop once you know you've ovulated? I've heard conflicting advice.
Thanks again for replying... x

I take 1200 of Vitex before OV and 400 after. Like you, I've heard conflicting advice as well. I've just heard it can help increase progesterone and that's something you really need during the LP to help the eggy stick. Ive also heard some women even take it for the first 3 months of pregnancy, but I will definitely stop when I get a BFP.

Progesterone cream + the B6 xxx

Where do you get the progesterone cream? Is it a certain kind? And how do you know how much to use? I'm 2 dpo and am thinking about getting some. Any info would be really appreciated :)

Look it up on ebay and at the bottom of the page a load of suppliers come up. I've bought a pump action bottle of it and it gives you the required dose of it. If you went to the doctors, they would prescribe it for you for a short LP. You start using it from ovulation and carry on using it til 10 weeks pregnant or til AF begins. Good luck hunny and carry on taking the B6 as the doctor would prescribe these too at 50mg xxx

If you don't fancy trying the progesterone cream and B6? Another good one to take is Maca root which stabilizes hormone imbalances, its well known for being very good for fertility and is easy and cheap to buy xxxx

Thanks Stouffer - good idea - it's been a while since I had my bloods done.
Thanks jojo1972 - good idea re the progresterone cream too! I'll look it up this evening. Am going to see the GP on Saturday so hopefully she'll have some advice, prescribe me some progesterone cream and/or refer me given my PCOS history.
Will let you know what I'm told/given!
x

Hiya,
I get spotting at around 6DPO and my LP is only 11 days and I am sure that is affecting my chances to conceive. I am taking B-vitamins to increase my LP and it helped reduce the spotting from 6 days to 4.5 days so I have upped my dosage this month. I have also taken soy which increases progesterone but I will not know if that's worked until about a week from now.
A high sugar diet and lack of exercise can also lower progesterone levels so I have tried to eat healthier and exercise more.
I hope it helps xxx

Happyshopper - what dosage of vit B do you take? And how do you take the soy? Will a soya latte every morning do? :haha:
x

Happyshopper - what dosage of vit B do you take? And how do you take the soy? Will a soya latte every morning do? :haha:
x

So I know u weren't asking me but I take b 100 complex. I know a lot of people start with 50mg and u can go all the way up to 200mg a day but I just decided to start with 100mg and haven't had any problems. How much do u take?

Last month I took a vitamin b complex but I started to take Tescos multi-vitamins for Women which has loads more of vitamin B. So far no ill effects except bright yellow pee. There is a huge thread on soy https://www.babyandbump.com/ttc-groups/271211-soy-isoflavones-natures-clomid.html . I took 80mg on days 3 & 4, 120mg on day 5 and 160mg on days 6 & 7. I'm not sure if I would recommend it yet as its delayed my ovulation but its had loads of positive results. Also, I don't know if affects your PCOS.

I've heard soya can lower fertility if taken all the way through the cycle so maybe just restrict soya lattes to the first 5 days of the cycle xxx

Thanks kadan82, your input is just as welcome:D:D
I'm taking 100(mg?) a day at the moment - have also heard that 200 is ok so may up my dose if nothing changes with my luteal phase this cycle.
Have also just ordered a complex B vitamin to go with it - but that only adds on another 10.
May stick with the Vitex and vit B before adding in soy - think I just need to be more patient and give these things time to work!!!

Thanks kadan82, your input is just as welcome:D:D
I'm taking 100(mg?) a day at the moment - have also heard that 200 is ok so may up my dose if nothing changes with my luteal phase this cycle.
Have also just ordered a complex B vitamin to go with it - but that only adds on another 10.
May stick with the Vitex and vit B before adding in soy - think I just need to be more patient and give these things time to work!!!

Yeah I've always read that it's not good to take B6 by itself without other B vits because of absorption issues so its definitely best to take the b complex that has it all in it. If my LP isn't much better this month I will probably go up to 150 mgs a day. Also I've heard that you shouldn't take vitex and soy together so if I don't get my BFP in a few months I will consider discontinuing the vitex and giving the soy a try!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->