Looking at an elective c section.

modified

Reaction score
My mum is terminally ill with cancer, lives with me and I am her sole carer. She'll also be my birthing partner.

Because of this, I've been set up with an appointment with a consultant on August 1st to speak about induction, elective section and dates to ensure she's in a "well period" (after chemo treatments) to be there. Mum and I have to come up with a few dates that would be best. She has chemo on the 1st and again on the 22nd so we're looking at between August 8th and 15th - preferably closer to the 8th but not sure how quickly after seeing the consultant that things can get moving.

I'm leaning heavily towards the section. Having a date in hand will be stupidly helpful in every area of life in regards to my mum and getting alternative help and assistance for her and for me for the first couple of weeks after birth at least.

I suddenly feel so overwhelmed! This is what I want and I know it but... if I'm honest, I don't know much about it! I want to go into this consultant appointment completely and 100% comfortable with my decision.. so here's where you ladies come in! Anyone had an elective? Could anyone tell me as much about it from before, during and after as possible?

Thank you :hugs:

(although all of this could be up in the air as I've also been referred for growth scans with suspected IUGR and will probably get that date tomorrow so.. who knows really!?)

I've had a vaginal and an emcs, but I've assisted in elective csections when I worked. The elective caesareans are usually very calm, everyone is happy and excited about the baby arriving. You will be given a spinal to block sensation from your boobs downwards, they will test to make sure you can't feel any pain, they will insert a urinary catheter, then they start cutting. From first incision to baby coming out is very quick 5-10 minutes. They usually drop the screen so that you can see them pulling the baby out of your belly. They will then take the baby to get cleaned up (it's in the same room) and checked over. In the mean time you will be getting sewn shut. After that they will bring baby to you. Your arms will likely be strapped outwards so you wont be able to properly hold the baby put she can be put on your chest or your mum can hold her while they finish closing you. It will take about 30 minutes to close you, and then you get taken to delivery where you will be able to hold and breastfeed baby. The spinal will take a few hours to wear off so you won't be able to walk. From my own experience (although it was emcs) I was able to get up with help about 12 hours after the csection but it HURT. I couldn't turn in bed, I couldn't get up to change a nappy, when baby started crying I couldn't get up to pick her up. It was extremely frustrating but after a couple of days I felt much better and by day 6 I was out and about driving and taking care of my toddler too.
By comparison with a vaginal birth I was up 20 minutes after having her to take a shower and pretty much skipped my way back from delivery room to the ward. They both have their pros/cons, hope you get the birth you want and that your mum is well enough to fully participate.

Hi there I had an elective c-section with my DS and it was a really nice experience :) It was booked for 39 weeks exactly (they didn't book until 32 weeks and I was desperate to know so that was annoying, although they said it would be around 39 weels) and the day before I went in to have my pre-checks done, got given some antacids to take and got tagged up and met the anaethesiologist to be weighed and discuss it.

On the day itself I had to arrive at 7am on the ward! It was the ward that I got taken to post-labour and c-section with my first kid so there were babies everywhere which was cute :) I was checked in, handed over notes and then I had visits from the surgeons, the anaesthesiologist again and some random woman (IDK what her job was) who were all really reassuring. I was told there were three planned c-sections a day. 9 am, 10.30 and 12 (roughly depending on emergencies) and told I was second so to get into my oh so awesome surgical robe, stockings, dressing gown etc. I hung around on the bed and then they turn up and literally it happens so fast! Before you know it you walk up to theatre.

The anaesthetic is first, and the canula put in (the kind man numbed my hand first so I honestly felt nothing!). My OH was sat on a stool kind of in front/to the side and I was led to the bed where I was bent forwards onto a nurse as they did the spinal. Honestly didn't feel it at all, not the locals, nothing and then I was laid on the bed which is tilted to the left (I think?) and they prep theatre whilst the anaesthesiologist checks how it's working. Also got stickers put everywhere and they get the little crib ready for baby. I had the option of my own music but rejected it.

Baby was out really fast and then was weighed (my baby had to be seen by a doctor) but then was back with us. We had the option to cut the cord and watch, but refused. My hands were free so I could touch and hold him a little as they stitched me up. I was moved back to my ward bed and DS was tucked up beside me and wheeled to recovery where they helped me to breast feed and skin to skin until my stats were fine and I was taken back to the ward.

By lunchtime I was sat propped up, still numb but I could hold him, help dress him etc. I got out of bed at around 4pm for a shower and walked there. My catheter was removed then. From that point I was up and fine, I kept on top of my pain meds and so coped. DD visited at 5pm and I could hold her and kiss her on the bed. OH went home at 8pm and I was able to do the nappy changes, get in and out of bed. It hurt but it was bearable definitely, I could move etc, pick up baby from the crib beside me. Only coughing hurt or turning over in bed. I did this weird like spin/ bum shuffle to get out of bed without stretching the wound. Also pressing a pillow to it helps. I really made myself keep moving on small walks and I think it helped lots!

I stayed in the entire next day and checked out on the Sunday, although they did say I could stay another day if I wanted, but personally I'd rather stay in my own bed! By the Sunday (2 days post op) I could walk around the hospital to the car, carry the baby with me, get up and down (slowly) and care for my toddler with some help for lifting her. By around a week after I was feeling much better :) Hope that helps!

Thanks for sharing your experiences ladies, we will soon be Ttc number 3 and s/he will arrive by elective section. Both my previous births have been traumatic- DD1 was a 'calm' emcs but then my uterus collapsed, I lost a lot of blood (4pts!) and was unconscious for 2 hours after her arrival. I was poorly for days after. DD2 was a successful vbac but my uterus collapsed again after, lost lots of blood and I was rushed to theatre and had a spinal. Again I was quite poorly for a few days.

I'm not put off having number 3 but I am worried about the section, I just desperately want to enjoy the first couple of hours of being with LO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->