Losing the plot...am I doing something wrong?

Kittique

Reaction score
My daughter is now 5 months old. Background: Exclusively breastfed, had bad reflux since birth, suspected CMPI (why: bad reaction when I gave 1 bottle formula, eczema all over, bad colic and gas) I cut out all dairy until about 11 weeks, now I eat only small amounts like cheese no milk/yog/ice cream etc. She is on omeprazole to control it, tried weaning her off it but she started coughing and hacking so she still needs it. From about 7/8 weeks to 14 weeks she slept 10-5/6am most nights..falling asleep on her own in the cot. Amazing. At 14 weeks it all just stopped and for the last 6/7 weeks she just does not sleep anymore.

She will never settle until 9/10pm even though I have tried earlier, we have a routine, I feed her etc. She just lays there screaming (high pitched squeal not crying) until she finally dozes off. She will sleep for about 2 hours then she will wake again and won't go back to sleep until I feed her which is fine, only she will wake up and cry as soon as I put her in her cot again, or toss and turn for hours until I either hold her until she falls asleep or feed her again. Last night I did this for 8 hours straight and I haven't slept a wink. Then at 7am she was wide awake squealing again.

I offer her a dummy which she sometimes uses, sometimes not.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to go completely dairy free again?

During the day she will nap fine in the AM (hour or so after she wakes) though the duration is inconsistent sometimes 20 min, sometimes 2 hours never any pattern to it. Then she will nap again in the afternoon in the same way. I sometimes have to feed her to sleep to get her to nap otherwise she will just cry and cry getting herself into a state.

I haven't had more than 2 hours consecutive sleep in nearly 2 months. I am lucky to get 4/5 hours sleep at the moment and it's really starting to affect me.

Edit: Expressing doesn't seem to work for me either. I can only ever seem to get 1/2 ounce after expressing for over 30 minutes and it makes me sore. I have to express about 5 times a day to get enough for 1 bottle, it's exhausting. Even then I can do it for 20 mins and not even a drop comes out!

Another edit: At 12 weeks a tongue tie was discovered by a lactation consultant as I saw one as she was feeding every hour throughout the day until coincidently, 14 weeks.. She had her tongue tie cut around this time, to be honest I did not notice much of a difference only she stopped clicking as often when feeding, as she used to do that a lot and her day time feedings spaced out a little and she drained the boob more. Can't see how this could tie in with the night problems though, but thought i'd add.

Maybe your LO just needs some extra comfort at night? Perhaps she is starting to be more aware of surroundings and the shadows make her afraid?

As for the eating, could she be ready for some rice cereal? Maybe she is getting ready to have something that digests a little slower

I agree she could need more. Have you.thought about weaning and how you.want to go down that route, baby led? Etc.

You are not.doing.anything.wrong unfortunately sometimes babies cry making. Us mummy's feel useless. Crying is a way of communicating
she is finding her voice. Have you.heard about sleep regression. It happens often when babies reach certain milestones and as pp said become more active/alert/aware of.surroundings.

As their brain develops they have more active times of learning
Sometimes this.being very Un socialable and being on a night when u want her to be the least active.

The sleep regression does get better and a better night routine will emerge.

As for bf- I'm sori I have no advice
I was naff at feeding
so ur a warrior for carrying on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back