Low hcg of 42 at 3 weeks :(

Sky81

Reaction score
Dear all,
It is my first pregnancy...did some routine (so I thought) blood test this week to confirm the pregnancy and the doctor said that my level was too low (42 hcg) for 3 weeks...two days later still 42...Yesterday the doc left a voicemail telling me I should expecting a miscarriage this weekend :( Very sad...I was also going to announce to my husband the good news for Valentine's day.
I know its only 3 weeks but it it still so hard to accept...
How did anyone deal with such situation?

I feel like your doctor shouldn't have said that!
Hcg at 3 weeks is almost always on the lower side , you would have just implanted a few days ago! Don't worry yourself, maybe you can ask for blood work again next week ?

Thank you! Will ask for another blood test next week.

3 weeks from lmp it's 42? that's pretty high if so but the fact it didn't increase is worrisome.but it's weird it's the exact same. Maybe the dr mixed something up.

From everything I have read, 42 seems pretty good for 3 weeks. I would not count it out just yet sweetie. Fx for you :hugs:.

Thank you ladies :) It's lifting my spirit up a little! fingers crossed!

I would definitely go in for repeat bloodwork. At 3 weeks, 42 is a wonderful number (though it should have doubled so maybe lab mix up?)

My hcg with my 19 month old (currently squirming next to me) was 47 at 4 weeks and my progesterone (unsure if they checked that for you) was 12! The only thing that matters is if the hcg doubles appropriately. We finally fell pregnant with a second baby a week ago and guess what? My hcg at 12 dpo was 41 and progesterone 6 lol. Two days later and it doubles and progesterone jumped up to 14. Since I had an ectopic prior to my first baby and only have one tube I get blood test and scans every few days until an inter uterine pregnancy can be established and every single Doctor I have seen in my practice including my own who is a reproductive endocrinologist say the doubling is all that matters. Did you get a second blood test and if you did what were the results? Have you bled or had any spotting? I wouldn't count yourself out yet unless you have something else worrisome going on. Good luck!

The second blood test said 42 (also)...no cramping and no spotting.In his message the doctor said I should have a miscarriage this weekend.I already called his office for an appt on Monday.

The second blood test said 42 (also)...no cramping and no spotting.In his message the doctor said I should have a miscarriage this weekend.I already called his office for an appt on Monday.

Two sequential test with no rise is usually not a good sign but that being said I read about women who still carried to term. Hopefully this one sticks for you fingers crossed!

my hcg at over 4 weeks (4.5) was 59...

10 days later is was 10,000. all that matters is that it's doubling every 30-40 hours

I don't think 42 is low, but the fact that the number didn't double would be cause for concern. But I find it odd the number was the same. I wonder if the lab made a mistake?

I don't think 42 is low, but the fact that the number didn't double would be cause for concern. But I find it odd the number was the same. I wonder if the lab made a mistake?

I hope its a mistake too...I'll know more on Monday during my doc's appt.

I bet the lab did make some kind of mistake. Just too strange it would be 42 both times.

I found a story similar to yours. I am not sure if it will offer much comfort or not.

Source: https://community.babycenter.com/post/a24984885/possible_miscarriage_and_hcg_levels

It can depend on how far along she is...at 5 or so weeks I started bleeding and ran to the ER in the middle of my sister's high school graduation. There they took my blood and sent me home saying that I was miscarring and to make an apt with my OB. 2 days later I saw my OB and had my levels checked agin and they were the same as when I was at the ER. We also checked for a heartbeat but it was too early in my pregnancy to detect one.

^ I was monitored for a few weeks until we were sure everything was going normal (which they were). Everything turned out just fine for us and I hope the same for your friend!

Here is another story also with a good ending.

My coworker took a positive pregnancy test on friday morning. On Saturday night she started bleeding and on sunday she went into the ER. They told her she was most likely having a miscarriage. They drew her HCG levels on sunday. On tuesday she went to her normal doctor to have her levels drawn again (the bleeding stopped by tuesday). Today she got the results from tuesdays blood draw and her HCG levels were the same as they were at the ER on sunday. The nurse told her she was still pregnant and she is going in to get her levels redrawn soon... My question is... what does it mean if your levels stay the same? Doesn't that mean that the baby isn't growing? I hope and pray this baby survives because it is her first and she is so excited.. but something just seems off about her levels not increasing.

well she went in for a blood draw yesterday and will know tomorrow. I guess between her ER visit HCG level (around 50) and 2 days later it was 60 something... so they did go up but not by much! Fingers crossed!

her levels are up to 103 and the doc gave her the go ahead to celebrate! She is probably only about 3 weeks along and that's why they were low

Here is another story also with a good ending.

My coworker took a positive pregnancy test on friday morning. On Saturday night she started bleeding and on sunday she went into the ER. They told her she was most likely having a miscarriage. They drew her HCG levels on sunday. On tuesday she went to her normal doctor to have her levels drawn again (the bleeding stopped by tuesday). Today she got the results from tuesdays blood draw and her HCG levels were the same as they were at the ER on sunday. The nurse told her she was still pregnant and she is going in to get her levels redrawn soon... My question is... what does it mean if your levels stay the same? Doesn't that mean that the baby isn't growing? I hope and pray this baby survives because it is her first and she is so excited.. but something just seems off about her levels not increasing.

well she went in for a blood draw yesterday and will know tomorrow. I guess between her ER visit HCG level (around 50) and 2 days later it was 60 something... so they did go up but not by much! Fingers crossed!

her levels are up to 103 and the doc gave her the go ahead to celebrate! She is probably only about 3 weeks along and that's why they were low

Im tearing up reading these stories...I want to believe too! Thank you soooooooo much for sharing!

How is it going for you? Are you having any pregnancy symptoms? I want to believe its going to be ok for you. Hold your head up. You will have a lot of time to grieve should things not turn out the way we want them to. For now, stay strong :hugs:!

How is it going for you? Are you having any pregnancy symptoms? I want to believe its going to be ok for you. Hold your head up. You will have a lot of time to grieve should things not turn out the way we want them to. For now, stay strong :hugs:!

Yesterday after the doctor's message was so sad and spent the evening crying but today a little better...praying and trying hard to believe! Thanking you again for sharing those happy ending stories, will try to remain as positive as can be!:hugs:

For the symptoms, so far a little nauseous in the morning, tender br...st, much more bathrooms visits ;) lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->