low iron / infusions

F

FierceAngel

so my iron ferritin level has now dropped from 4.4 to 4.1 and now 3.5 :(

ive been on 3 iron tabs a day for 8 weeks and they are making me worse - not increasing levels and making going to the toilet horrendous regardless how much oj i consume!!!

now its looking like im going to need transfusions.. anyone had experience of this?

I haven't experienced this yet, but my midwife today has told me it's looking like I may need iron infusion too. My ferritin is 4 now and I've also been on iron tablets for 8 wks. She says I have to carry on with the tabs for now, but if I don't get my ferritin up it's an iron infusion. I've got about 4 weeks to get them up, so not long! I have a history of blood transfusions after birth, so not looking good! She told me that I have to have it in hospital, takes up to 5hrs and may have to stay in. She's also warned me that it's not a comfortable experience, and up to 30% of women have some type of allergic reaction! Scared me a bit, So I'm gonna start taking spatone too, every1 is recommending it, so I'm gonna pick some up from boots.

this happened to me with my son. my levels went down to 4 so they gave me a transfusion. i was fine until the second bag was put on and my arm felt like it was crushed. i had had a reaction to the blood. apparently say they give you 5 bags of the same blood you can still have a reaction to any one of them. but this isnt always the case so please dont get frightened.

if you need a transfusion its better to have one because you dont want to be in a situation where you give birth and lose too much blood that would be alot worse if your low as it is.

spatone is good that helps bring up the levels or floradix is good too. if you eat meat keep up red meat intake and things like spinach and broccoli.

hth. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"