Low milk supply?

MrsCeder

Mum to Amelia 6/6/13
Reaction score
So the last 2 days my 4 month old has been having very few heavy, wet nappies. She is feeding a lot recently and for a long time.

She is ebf and usually has lots of wet nappies, usually every couple of hours. Anyone experienced this?

This is what is happening to me. She has been so fussy at the breast and is so cranky and not napping properly because she is so hungry. Used to feed every 3 hours and is now hungry every 1.5... She never seems to be getting enough.

How few is 'very few'? I've read in a few places including in an NHS leaflet on BF that after 6-8 weeks they tend to pee less frequently than they do as newborns which can make it seem like they are peeing less in volume when they are not. If you're still getting 4-5 decently wet nappies a day this is fine. Also have you changed nappy brand or size? Some nappies are vastly more absorbent than others xx

Wow 4-5 wet nappies a day? My eldest (in a disposable) She would have a night nappy, change at 8 or 9am, change at lunch and then a change before bed so only 3 nappies in a day most days. They weren't sopping wet at all or that heavy. She did get through the normal 10-12 a day as a newborn though!

I just thought they wee'd less as they got older?

My DD2 only gets through more nappies as she poos 3 x a day (still!)

Could it be the 4 month growth spurt? It's a pretty tough one, usually, and quite common for women to think they don't have enough milk (which is why so many stop breastfeeding at four months).

No change with the nappy size or brand. She only has a heavy wet nappy over night really. A few days ago it was full within an hour or two, now it's not even full after 4 hrs?! She seems happy & content but definitely feeding more!

Wow 4-5 wet nappies a day? My eldest (in a disposable) She would have a night nappy, change at 8 or 9am, change at lunch and then a change before bed so only 3 nappies in a day most days. They weren't sopping wet at all or that heavy. She did get through the normal 10-12 a day as a newborn though!

I just thought they wee'd less as they got older?

My DD2 only gets through more nappies as she poos 3 x a day (still!)

They do wee less 4-5 was a guesstimate as mine always wee more than average regardless of age. The main thing you need to look for is that the wee is clear or light yellow if it's dark yellow or brownish and has a strong odour then this could be a problem xx

I think my girls may wee less than average, their wee is always very pale.

Yes it is clear, today she has had a few wet nappies so hopefully things are getting better :)

If her pee is clear thats good, as really yellow foul smelling urine is a sign of dehydration. I think its just a growth spurt:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->