• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Luxuries in prison?

I see that this thread is still going strong this mornin lol.. Maybe you do have a point ShanandBoc about the free dental/medical etc whilst others are on waiting lists but whats the alternative? You cant be-grudge them such care really. I wouldn't call it a 'luxury' as such. They are unable to pay for prescriptions due to circumstances, just as someone on the outside who is unemployed/on a low income. Thats just the way our country is. Its not specifically directed at 'people in prison get free this/free that/blah blah'. They NEED to be treated so they ARE basically. As for the playstations and internet. People I know that have been in prison never had internet. A few had games consoles bought for them from people on the outside. They couldnt be played on randomly through the night etc, only at set times. By then, they were coming to the end of their sentence anyway, had basically been re-habilitated ready for the outside.. behaviour was good etc etc. They weren't allowed for the majority. Its hard in there. Someone I know got his gf to send in a keyboard and he learnt to sing and write music. Its not a luxury to have a hobby.. something to get you through. They'd go crazy sitting in a box all day doing nothing. They'd come out worse than they went in :/

I never said they shouldnt get medical or dental care.....but when the elderly and sick in the outside world have to wait for treatment i dont think its right. They should be put on a waiting list like everyone else.

My gripe is they get 'better' care and in a way like they are being rewarded for doing the wrong thing.

If you are on a low income or unemployed you still have to pay for prescriptions, you are still on the public waiting list....so why not when u are in jail, why give them special treatment ifkwim? :flower:

ahhhh see think that's another country thing cos round here i could pick up the phone and see a dentist tomorrow, we get it free while pregnant and the following yr too, i bet you don't get that over there either do you.

we have to pay national health service NHS fee's through our wages usa and other places pay separate.

Here they do get immediate treatment in jail but very rarely in the public health care system.....So why should they? When law abiding citizens do not.
Shouldnt make a difference whether you are in jail or not.

I never said they were 'competing' as such, but they do get 'better' care......There was a big report on it here not long ago.

Wow i never said they should be left to die? But others have to wait, why shouldnt they?

I dont understand why people put words in peoples mouth that they never spoke! Are u reading things that i cant see?

I see that this thread is still going strong this mornin lol.. Maybe you do have a point ShanandBoc about the free dental/medical etc whilst others are on waiting lists but whats the alternative? You cant be-grudge them such care really. I wouldn't call it a 'luxury' as such. They are unable to pay for prescriptions due to circumstances, just as someone on the outside who is unemployed/on a low income. Thats just the way our country is. Its not specifically directed at 'people in prison get free this/free that/blah blah'. They NEED to be treated so they ARE basically. As for the playstations and internet. People I know that have been in prison never had internet. A few had games consoles bought for them from people on the outside. They couldnt be played on randomly through the night etc, only at set times. By then, they were coming to the end of their sentence anyway, had basically been re-habilitated ready for the outside.. behaviour was good etc etc. They weren't allowed for the majority. Its hard in there. Someone I know got his gf to send in a keyboard and he learnt to sing and write music. Its not a luxury to have a hobby.. something to get you through. They'd go crazy sitting in a box all day doing nothing. They'd come out worse than they went in :/

I never said they shouldnt get medical or dental care.....but when the elderly and sick in the outside world have to wait for treatment i dont think its right. They should be put on a waiting list like everyone else.

My gripe is they get 'better' care and in a way like they are being rewarded for doing the wrong thing.

If you are on a low income or unemployed you still have to pay for prescriptions, you are still on the public waiting list....so why not when u are in jail, why give them special treatment ifkwim? :flower:

ahhhh see think that's another country thing cos round here i could pick up the phone and see a dentist tomorrow, we get it free while pregnant and the following yr too, i bet you don't get that over there either do you.

we have to pay national health service NHS fee's through our wages usa and other places pay separate.
lucky you its like a month where I am. Very full dentists here and less dentists.

dragonfly i had to cancel my dentist appointment yesterday as my son is poorly and my next appointment is in 3 weeks time and that was the quickest!

I have heard of people waiting up to a year or longer for dental surgery, unless they can afford to pay top dollar for private care

Whats the right way to do things then? Lock them up in a box with no gym, no way to let off steam, no stimulation i.e., learning, activities, pool, other 'luxuries' that people keep bangin on about. Nothing. Just slop for food and water and a hard bed. No free health care or dentistry. Nothing. Then those people can be released into 'your' society and expect to live a normal life with no crime? I dunno bout you but I'd be petrified if our society was full of ex cons who had suffered the extremes that people in this thread are suggesting 'should' be the case. They would be mentally unstable, unhealthy and frustrated individuals with nothing new about them than when they went in there.. infact, they'd be worse off through being held captive with no stimulation and no progression for xyz amount of months/years that they were in there. Not really fit for release in that case. They are NOT animals you know... Prison is a way forward. A chance for change.. I agree some do change, and some don't. But its better that some do than all don't. If you treat people like animals they will act like animals. Yes they have done wrong and yes they should be punished. They ARE. They are locked up most of their waking day. An hour or 2 out of 24 to be allowed to watch tv or play on the xbox is hardly what I call a luxurious lifestyle. You need to look at the big picture.

wouldnt even treat an animal like some suggested to do to humans.

note: I have no compassion for rapists, murderers or pedos and the likes I am not referring to them. Also no new identities for them either but thats a whole other topic.

no i have no compassion for pedo's or cold blooded murderer's i really couldnt care less what they do as long as they cant touch my family, in their case i feel jail is to protect our society because those kind of people esp pedo's cant be helped its like trying to change someones sexuality. impossible...

Curiously, are u suggesting that pedo's have no control over their behaviour?

Everyone has a choice, everyone knows right from wrong.

Thats like saying someone who was born with a tendancy to get angry easily or a tendency to steal, was born that way and have no choice, therefore have no control on acting it out

Obviously i detest these individuals, but they chose to behave the way they did....

Just because you have certain feelings or desires doesnt mean you have to act on them??!!

its been proven that pychopaths and pedophiles brains and hormones are different levels, i definetly dont think they are "normal"

everyones born with different tendencies, it like me saying to a gay guy, "right you cant be with a man you have to be with a woman," he can physically do it but you cant change how he thinks.

alot of scientists have had theories over the yrs unless you were called freud lol

That is private care here. They just so many to do. they can fit you in in an emergence pain appointment as I had a few of them.

I would never want them to be treated like animals :nope: and i think they need to be educated and think thats a good thing :thumbup: but do they need tvs, etc no i dont think they do need that, those things are for personal enjoyment, and should they have that sort of personal enjoyment while being in prison.

Have all the things they have without the personal enjoyments and i think it would be fine. Innocent people everyday live with out them so why cant people who have done wrong not have without :flower:

Its one of those arguments that will go on and on, i have mixed views on a few things on this.

Whats the right way to do things then? Lock them up in a box with no gym, no way to let off steam, no stimulation i.e., learning, activities, pool, other 'luxuries' that people keep bangin on about. Nothing. Just slop for food and water and a hard bed. No free health care or dentistry. Nothing. Then those people can be released into 'your' society and expect to live a normal life with no crime? I dunno bout you but I'd be petrified if our society was full of ex cons who had suffered the extremes that people in this thread are suggesting 'should' be the case. They would be mentally unstable, unhealthy and frustrated individuals with nothing new about them than when they went in there.. infact, they'd be worse off through being held captive with no stimulation and no progression for xyz amount of months/years that they were in there. Not really fit for release in that case. They are NOT animals you know... Prison is a way forward. A chance for change.. I agree some do change, and some don't. But its better that some do than all don't. If you treat people like animals they will act like animals. Yes they have done wrong and yes they should be punished. They ARE. They are locked up most of their waking day. An hour or 2 out of 24 to be allowed to watch tv or play on the xbox is hardly what I call a luxurious lifestyle. You need to look at the big picture.

wouldnt even treat an animal like some suggested to do to humans.

note: I have no compassion for rapists, murderers or pedos and the likes I am not referring to them. Also no new identities for them either but thats a whole other topic.

no i have no compassion for pedo's or cold blooded murderer's i really couldnt care less what they do as long as they cant touch my family, in their case i feel jail is to protect our society because those kind of people esp pedo's cant be helped its like trying to change someones sexuality. impossible...

Curiously, are u suggesting that pedo's have no control over their behaviour?

Everyone has a choice, everyone knows right from wrong.

Thats like saying someone who was born with a tendancy to get angry easily or a tendency to steal, was born that way and have no choice, therefore have no control on acting it out

Obviously i detest these individuals, but they chose to behave the way they did....

Just because you have certain feelings or desires doesnt mean you have to act on them??!!

its been proven that pychopaths and pedophiles brains and hormones are different levels, i definetly dont think they are "normal"

everyones born with different tendencies, it like me saying to a gay guy, "right you cant be with a man you have to be with a woman," he can physically do it but you cant change how he thinks.

alot of scientists have had theories over the yrs unless you were called freud lol

clearly theres something not righht there if they are pedos and mirderes they do not think the same as us. I watched a program in America where they had a study on rapists, removed their genitals still didnt actually stop them from raping with some other instrument. everyone should be held accountable but your not right if you can do heinous things like that.

lucky you its like a month where I am. Very full dentists here and less dentists.

gosh really your in the sticks though arent you, we have about 4 in our high st,
doctors is about 3 days in some surgerys ours is that day if emergency or the day after, we cant make advance bookings unless requested by a doctor. the system works pretty well

Here they do get immediate treatment in jail but very rarely in the public health care system.....So why should they? When law abiding citizens do not.
Shouldnt make a difference whether you are in jail or not.

I never said they were 'competing' as such, but they do get 'better' care......There was a big report on it here not long ago.

Wow i never said they should be left to die? But others have to wait, why shouldnt they?

I dont understand why people put words in peoples mouth that they never spoke! Are u reading things that i cant see?

I never said you did. I asked
"Should we just leave them to die?". I never mentioned 'you' thinking such a thing babe

gosh really your in the sticks though arent you, we have about 4 in our high st,
doctors is about 3 days in some surgerys ours is that day if emergency or the day after, we cant make advance bookings unless requested by a doctor. the system works pretty well

theres 3 here in town and some arnt even taking new ones on, I had to beg to get my son in mine as they said they where full. Docs you can get an app with next day though or a phone call with the doc hours later if you need it.

I think that some of us here in the UK take for granted how easy we have it. If I need to see a dentist, I just ring.. and I would prob get in to see one within a few days. And if its that bad Id just go up to A&E :wacko: Maybe if I had it as hard as some of you say, I may be a bit more annoyed about others (namely inmates) getting 'faster' service. So yes, definately explains why some of you are concerned about it and see it as a flaw in the system.

The prison service has a duty of care to its inmates, therefore treatment is available should anyone need it. There is a wait for routine dental and health care, but if someone needs emergency treatment then they are entitled to it, as a human being.

We in the UK have the choice of going to A+E or a walk in centre which inmates do not, so i don't think it is any different to be honest.

What a ridiculous thing to say! The way you paint the picture, each con walks into jail with a qualification handed to him/her?! Actually very few inmates gain qualifications whilst inside, so i think it is a positive when some choose to do things to better themselves and better their quality of life upon release. It is in no way handed to them on a plate-they have to work just as hard as anyone else.

Don't forget that many people who end up in prison have gained very few qualfications at school or college so it is actually very positive for them to progress. An increase in self-esteem, an increase in confidence, an increase of finding employment upon release, increase of turning life around and less risk of re-offending.It costs far less money to help educate offenders who turn their back on crime than it does to keep them in jail-so surely commen sense suggests that if they are helping themselves there is less chance of them returning to a life of crime?

And surely it is a positive that your BIL's life is better now than when he went inside?! You want it to be worse?

I never said every single person, I'm merely talking about the people I know.

And I still disagree. I don't particularly want my BILs life to be worse than before he went inside, but I definitely don't expect it to be better. Or better than mine, my partners and most of our friends, who haven't had the luxury of plenty of free time to study for free qualifications and no responsiblities, financial or otherwise.

What a ridiculous thing to say! The way you paint the picture, each con walks into jail with a qualification handed to him/her?! Actually very few inmates gain qualifications whilst inside, so i think it is a positive when some choose to do things to better themselves and better their quality of life upon release. It is in no way handed to them on a plate-they have to work just as hard as anyone else.

Don't forget that many people who end up in prison have gained very few qualfications at school or college so it is actually very positive for them to progress. An increase in self-esteem, an increase in confidence, an increase of finding employment upon release, increase of turning life around and less risk of re-offending.It costs far less money to help educate offenders who turn their back on crime than it does to keep them in jail-so surely commen sense suggests that if they are helping themselves there is less chance of them returning to a life of crime?

And surely it is a positive that your BIL's life is better now than when he went inside?! You want it to be worse?

I never said every single person, I'm merely talking about the people I know.

And I still disagree. I don't particularly want my BILs life to be worse than before he went inside, but I definitely don't expect it to be better. Or better than mine, my partners and most of our friends, who haven't had the luxury of plenty of free time to study for free qualifications and no responsiblities, financial or otherwise.

Well we can agree to disagree then! I certainly wouldn't consider time spent in prison as a luxury especially after having killed someone and having that guilt to carry round for the rest of my life. I enjoy the life i have and have no time to be jealous or resent others for improving their own lives.

I don't want to sound aggressive day_dreamer but I really have to ask - did you not get the chance to further your education after school? I can see why it could be financially difficult now with a family and financial commitments but what about the normal route from school? Perhaps it was a decision you made at the time? I don't know, not making any assumptions, just wondering.

It does come across as jealousy. We gotta be happy with ourselves. What does it really matter what someone else is gaining! They are nothing to do with you in reality. I know I keep bangin on about it but you so gotta look at the big picture. They don't jus commit crime to get into prison to get an education, to better themselves and end up earning more money that 'you'. And, in my personal opinion... good on them for improving themselves to the extent where they can earn that much money and live a good life. Its better that than them to be on our streets committing further crime and targeting 'me'/'you'/'anyone else'. You had your chances to better yourself as peanutbean said.. we all did. If we didnt take advantage of it when it was available to us then thats our own fault. The fact that some inmates take advantage of this is no skin of your nose. We all have our chances. Bitterness towards someone doing better than 'you' is silly. They aint 'you. Concerntrate on your own life. PS: This message is general. Not directed at anyone. I have not read any posts in enough detail to point the finger at anyone in particular. Its just my view. When I say 'you', I'm not targeting anyone. Jus mean, people who feel this way xxxx

you know theres a simple way round the education thing, have them get student loans like the rest of us and it gets paid off out of their wages once they start earning over 15k (this is the UK btw) that way they are not actually paying for it when they cannot earn and its the same as everyone else with regards to paying the loan back. Just a thought.

I do think rehabilitation in prisons is important and I believe education is a large factor in this BUT I do think they should have to pay back for their education like any other person in adult education does.

haha anyone watchin loose women?! This topic all ova again practically x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->