• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Luxuries in prison?

Yeh they would, you cant just lump them in all together :)

Whether you are in there for minor offences or not tho, i still dont see why tax payers should be paying for them to have 'luxuries'

btw i dont consider job training / education as a luxury, i think it should be available to all before release (if they are going to be released of course) to give them the best chance of blending back into society and getting a decent job and in turn less chance of them re - offending x

I'm genuinely curious to what luxuries you know inmates get, not what you think they get? Other than tv...

Game consoles, internet, TV, free medical and dental, full gym etc. Remember jails are different in different countries, im sure you dont know what every jail is like?

tv is a privilidge for good behaviour here, every inmate has to stay drug free and comply,
free medical and dentist, i dont think its fair to let people die of illness or their teeth rot out, how can you try rehabilitate someone on pain, once my oh got to an open jail and was earning a proper wage he didnt get free prescrptions or dental
the gym is a gym room here a few weights and a few cicuits to do, nothing hi-tech. there's no internet in the jails he's been in. and my friends a officer she said the same goes in most of the catorgorized jails in this country.

games consoles have to be bought with the money in their account so have to be worked for.

its the little luxeries in life my oh missed silly things you wouldnt think of like walking on carpet, sitting on a nice sofa, seeing friends and fairly when you wanted. tv and a few bars of chocolate is no consolation for freedom of liberties.

i dont think the prison service is perfect, but i appreciate why they give certain awards. if you just treat people like shit the moment they walk in the gates by being horrid to them and not caring they'll walk out full of hate and probably worse than they were before.
i believe in knocking someone down i.e put in jail, and then built back up to see the error of their ways. reward good behaviour, punish the bad, cos if you dont behave in jail you get punished. and eventually you'll end up back in a high cat jail, serving your full sentence.

I do agree with what you are saying to an extent, but thats not the case over here which is what i have knowledge of. You have to understand, that what your OH experienced, is not the case eveywhere in the world in every jail

Im not saying they shouldnt get medical or dental care at all......but when the rest of the population is on waiting lists, sometimes for years in pain, yet in jail you recieve immediate care, then that is unfair imo

I see that this thread is still going strong this mornin lol.. Maybe you do have a point ShanandBoc about the free dental/medical etc whilst others are on waiting lists but whats the alternative? You cant be-grudge them such care really. I wouldn't call it a 'luxury' as such. They are unable to pay for prescriptions due to circumstances, just as someone on the outside who is unemployed/on a low income. Thats just the way our country is. Its not specifically directed at 'people in prison get free this/free that/blah blah'. They NEED to be treated so they ARE basically. As for the playstations and internet. People I know that have been in prison never had internet. A few had games consoles bought for them from people on the outside. They couldnt be played on randomly through the night etc, only at set times. By then, they were coming to the end of their sentence anyway, had basically been re-habilitated ready for the outside.. behaviour was good etc etc. They weren't allowed for the majority. Its hard in there. Someone I know got his gf to send in a keyboard and he learnt to sing and write music. Its not a luxury to have a hobby.. something to get you through. They'd go crazy sitting in a box all day doing nothing. They'd come out worse than they went in :/

It's hardly fair to resent someone for studying to improve their prospects.

on this though hun the only reason why they are studying is because theres only so much tv to watch and only so many weights to lift, so its either that or nothing isnt it. i have lots of things to do with my time but i still get bored x

you have absolutely no clue have you.:dohh:

they arent studying cos there's nothing to do, why are you making such asumptions. maybe people dont want to have a life in jail maybe they want to do better with themselves.

there's plenty of slobs who haven't been in jail doing naff all as wall :nope:

yes, yes i do have a clue :growlmad:
i think you starting to be quite rude now. different opinions dosnt mean i have no clue! im not speaking for the whole entire world, im talking about the people i know and know of. Just because your OH has been in prison dosnt mean that my points are any less valid than yours, im sure you have said your not in the UK and your OH didnt go to an english prison and you call me black and white? :dohh:

If they wanted to better themselves they would of been in college in the first place getting new grades.

while im here, i think this free education thing whats getting thrown about is why should i have to pay for me to further myself where as i could do a crime and get it for free.

Remember jails are different in different countries, im sure you dont know what every jail is like?

hallelujah someone what understands that this is a multi country forum!!!!
:happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance:

on this though hun the only reason why they are studying is because theres only so much tv to watch and only so many weights to lift, so its either that or nothing isnt it. i have lots of things to do with my time but i still get bored x

they arent studying cos there's nothing to do, why are you making such asumptions. maybe people dont want to have a life in jail maybe they want to do better with themselves.

i think you starting to be quite rude now. different opinions dosnt mean i have no clue! im not speaking for the whole entire world, im talking about the people i know and know of. Just because your OH has been in prison dosnt mean that my points are any less valid than yours, im sure you have said your not in the UK and your OH didnt go to an english prison and you call me black and white? :dohh:

If they wanted to better themselves they would of been in college in the first place getting new grades.

while im here, i think this free education thing whats getting thrown about is why should i have to pay for me to further myself where as i could do a crime and get it for free.

i find it rude of you to assume the only reason people study in jail is because there's only so many weights to lifts and tv to watch.

and i've already said it may different in different countries, and unless you've been in another countries jail how can you have an opinion on it.

another assumption i take it

why is that an assumption? its called common sense! when you get sent to prison im pretty sure everyone thinks woohooo im so glad i get my grades sorted now :dohh:

i find it rude of you to assume the only reason people study in jail is because there's only so many weights to lifts and tv to watch.

and i've already said it may different in different countries, and unless you've been in another countries jail how can you have an opinion on it.

exactly so what you still going on about it for ?!:dohh:
iv never once said to you no blah blah blah this is how it is.
I really dont think iv said one thing thats rude TBH.

Sounds like some people think these prisoners should be aloud to have nice things, its prison!! were people are going to get punished for no one but their own actions! ok maybe a couple are really innocent but you cant base the whole prison system on a few that are wrongly accoused..
No excuse, i know people who were brought up in bad conditions, they could have gone and commited crimes and could have made the excuses of having bad childhood, but nope all these 4 people have led decent lifes and worked very hard, one of them has a mental illness, but even that hasnt caused her to commit crimes! their are people who have mental illnesses that havnt got any care or help which they have gone on to be sentenced for something which is why its important people with a mental disorder are cared for, but if your all mentally ok then whats the excuse?

Whats the right way to do things then? Lock them up in a box with no gym, no way to let off steam, no stimulation i.e., learning, activities, pool, other 'luxuries' that people keep bangin on about. Nothing. Just slop for food and water and a hard bed. No free health care or dentistry. Nothing. Then those people can be released into 'your' society and expect to live a normal life with no crime? I dunno bout you but I'd be petrified if our society was full of ex cons who had suffered the extremes that people in this thread are suggesting 'should' be the case. They would be mentally unstable, unhealthy and frustrated individuals with nothing new about them than when they went in there.. infact, they'd be worse off through being held captive with no stimulation and no progression for xyz amount of months/years that they were in there. Not really fit for release in that case. They are NOT animals you know... Prison is a way forward. A chance for change.. I agree some do change, and some don't. But its better that some do than all don't. If you treat people like animals they will act like animals. Yes they have done wrong and yes they should be punished. They ARE. They are locked up most of their waking day. An hour or 2 out of 24 to be allowed to watch tv or play on the xbox is hardly what I call a luxurious lifestyle. You need to look at the big picture.

Whats the right way to do things then? Lock them up in a box with no gym, no way to let off steam, no stimulation i.e., learning, activities, pool, other 'luxuries' that people keep bangin on about. Nothing. Just slop for food and water and a hard bed. No free health care or dentistry. Nothing. Then those people can be released into 'your' society and expect to live a normal life with no crime? I dunno bout you but I'd be petrified if our society was full of ex cons who had suffered the extremes that people in this thread are suggesting 'should' be the case. They would be mentally unstable, unhealthy and frustrated individuals with nothing new about them than when they went in there.. infact, they'd be worse off through being held captive with no stimulation and no progression for xyz amount of months/years that they were in there. Not really fit for release in that case. They are NOT animals you know... Prison is a way forward. A chance for change.. I agree some do change, and some don't. But its better that some do than all don't. If you treat people like animals they will act like animals. Yes they have done wrong and yes they should be punished. They ARE. They are locked up most of their waking day. An hour or 2 out of 24 to be allowed to watch tv or play on the xbox is hardly what I call a luxurious lifestyle. You need to look at the big picture.

wouldnt even treat an animal like some suggested to do to humans.

note: I have no compassion for rapists, murderers or pedos and the likes I am not referring to them. Also no new identities for them either but thats a whole other topic.

note: I have no compassion for rapists, murderers or pedos and the likes I am not referring to them. Also no new identities for them either but thats a whole other topic.

no i have no compassion for pedo's or cold blooded murderer's i really couldnt care less what they do as long as they cant touch my family, in their case i feel jail is to protect our society because those kind of people esp pedo's cant be helped its like trying to change someones sexuality. impossible...

I see that this thread is still going strong this mornin lol.. Maybe you do have a point ShanandBoc about the free dental/medical etc whilst others are on waiting lists but whats the alternative? You cant be-grudge them such care really. I wouldn't call it a 'luxury' as such. They are unable to pay for prescriptions due to circumstances, just as someone on the outside who is unemployed/on a low income. Thats just the way our country is. Its not specifically directed at 'people in prison get free this/free that/blah blah'. They NEED to be treated so they ARE basically. As for the playstations and internet. People I know that have been in prison never had internet. A few had games consoles bought for them from people on the outside. They couldnt be played on randomly through the night etc, only at set times. By then, they were coming to the end of their sentence anyway, had basically been re-habilitated ready for the outside.. behaviour was good etc etc. They weren't allowed for the majority. Its hard in there. Someone I know got his gf to send in a keyboard and he learnt to sing and write music. Its not a luxury to have a hobby.. something to get you through. They'd go crazy sitting in a box all day doing nothing. They'd come out worse than they went in :/

I never said they shouldnt get medical or dental care.....but when the elderly and sick in the outside world have to wait for treatment i dont think its right. They should be put on a waiting list like everyone else.

My gripe is they get 'better' care and in a way like they are being rewarded for doing the wrong thing.

If you are on a low income or unemployed you still have to pay for prescriptions, you are still on the public waiting list....so why not when u are in jail, why give them special treatment ifkwim? :flower:

why is that an assumption? its called common sense! when you get sent to prison im pretty sure everyone thinks woohooo im so glad i get my grades sorted now :dohh:

ye your absoutely right there,
they think i cant stand this shit hole lets try make the most of it get something positive out of it and better myself and not come back to this flea ridden pit again.

sometimes when people hit rock bottom you dont have to keep kicking them back down to solve the problem :dohh:

I never said they shouldnt get medical or dental care.....but when the elderly and sick in the outside world have to wait for treatment i dont think its right. They should be put on a waiting list like everyone else.

My gripe is they get 'better' care and in a way like they are being rewarded for doing the wrong thing.

If you are on a low income or unemployed you still have to pay for prescriptions, you are still on the public waiting list....so why not when u are in jail, why give them special treatment ifkwim? :flower:

we dont here in the uk for prescriptions hun if we are unemployed or low income we can get them free or help towards :thumbup:

no i have no compassion for pedo's or cold blooded murderer's i really couldnt care less what they do as long as they cant touch my family, in their case i feel jail is to protect our society because those kind of people esp pedo's cant be helped its like trying to change someones sexuality. impossible...

Curiously, are u suggesting that pedo's have no control over their behaviour?

Everyone has a choice, everyone knows right from wrong.

Thats like saying someone who was born with a tendancy to get angry easily or a tendency to steal, was born that way and have no choice, therefore have no control on acting it out

Obviously i detest these individuals, but they chose to behave the way they did....

Just because you have certain feelings or desires doesnt mean you have to act on them??!!

whos kicking anyone down? thats the thing some people dont think that way, thats the shame about it. we have totally different views on this subject helen and i just think we are going around in circles now. :thumbup:

ETA: and i dont think it helps that the prison system we are talking about differs hugely, so it just going to be back and forth

we dont here in the uk for prescriptions hun if we are unemployed or low income we can get them free or help towards :thumbup:
ah ok thanks.

This is why people need to take into account that we are from different countries in these types of discussions :flower:

We get discounted prescriptions, but not free x

But prison is like a society of its own. They have their own doctor/dentist usually so its not like they are competing for 'your' dentist. I do understand where you're coming from with this but its the only way it can be done under the circumstances really :shrug: You could argue 'why should they have their own' blah blah but its the most simplest solution for the prison service. So its all in one iykwim. They need this health care, so they get it! They do not get 'better' care. How do you work that out? They get the same care as they would get on the outside. Fair play they have a prison doctor but if its a serious illness or treatment that they require, they would be put on a waiting list for the hospital, just as everyone else would. Should we just leave them to die? or give them a health care service? Infact don't answer hehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->