• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Luxuries in prison?

It's hardly fair to resent someone for studying to improve their prospects.

on this though hun the only reason why they are studying is because theres only so much tv to watch and only so many weights to lift, so its either that or nothing isnt it. i have lots of things to do with my time but i still get bored x

you have absolutely no clue have you.:dohh:

they arent studying cos there's nothing to do, why are you making such asumptions. maybe people dont want to have a life in jail maybe they want to do better with themselves.

there's plenty of slobs who haven't been in jail doing naff all as wall :nope:

they arent studying cos there's nothing to do, why are you making such asumptions. maybe people dont want to have a life in jail maybe they want to do better with themselves.

There's no need to get nasty about it. :shrug:

If people don't want to have a life in jail, they are quite capable of doing (and paying for) a college course and bettering themselves that way.

There's no need to get nasty about it. :shrug:

If people don't want to have a life in jail, they are quite capable of doing (and paying for) a college course and bettering themselves that way.

nothing nasty about what i said but you are making assumption with no facts to back yourself up.

your seeing things extremely black and white from where i'm standing.

Not everyone in prison comes out with oodles of qualification so those that do must've chosen to work on it in order to make things better when they come out. They will NEVER lose that stigma of having been in prison. If a £15k salary is the best they can ever hope for perhaps in their whole life (with the exception of that bald guy on daytime TV who started out on the housebreak show and is now everywhere including the One Show!) then they should be able to get the qualification to enable them to do it. Do a job, pay some taxes, live a life that is not that of a criminal. I'm sorry but I think it's crackers to not want prisoners to improve themselves. There is plenty of punishment in having your liberties removed for the duration of the sentence (as you say soft sentencing is a different argument altogether). Should one mistake mean someone should be punished for the rest of their lives?

I disagree.

With what? Everything?

With most of it, yes.

Like I've said, I have no problems with people (criminals, anybody) wanting to improve themselves, but I don't see why it should be handed to them on a plate. It's practically saying "oh dear, you broke the law...never mind, come and stay here for a while...we'll look after you, feed you, give you a TV and a garden and a games room and a gym...you can even get some qualifications whilst you're in here...and guess what, it's all FREE!!" There is no sense to it at all. My brother in law says himself that it was practically a holiday camp inside (at the lower security prison he spent the majority of his sentence at...the higher security one he started out at he hated lol).

I do understand the need for rehabilitation in some circumstances. But for those, like my BIL, who have only committed one crime, their lives are significantly better now they're out of prison than before they went in. Before prison, he would not have ever considered going to college. It was too much like hard work. In prison he did the courses because he had nothing better to do, and because there were rewards inside for studying. I just don't think it's fair the advantages he's had/been given/now has simply through breaking the law (and killing someone in the process).

What a ridiculous thing to say! The way you paint the picture, each con walks into jail with a qualification handed to him/her?! Actually very few inmates gain qualifications whilst inside, so i think it is a positive when some choose to do things to better themselves and better their quality of life upon release. It is in no way handed to them on a plate-they have to work just as hard as anyone else.

Don't forget that many people who end up in prison have gained very few qualfications at school or college so it is actually very positive for them to progress. An increase in self-esteem, an increase in confidence, an increase of finding employment upon release, increase of turning life around and less risk of re-offending.It costs far less money to help educate offenders who turn their back on crime than it does to keep them in jail-so surely commen sense suggests that if they are helping themselves there is less chance of them returning to a life of crime?

And surely it is a positive that your BIL's life is better now than when he went inside?! You want it to be worse?

^no not always but it does happen.

And I don't think a lot of criminals are making money off of their "stories" Do you know how many people are in some sort of detention centre? This is a ridiculous statement. Maybe a couple sensationalized "celebrity" serial killer or something like that, but I cannot really see how an everyday person in jail would be making money off of their "story"

What if someone was effed over by society? Had shitty parents, lived in a shitty area, went to a shitty school, had to drop out young to help their family, teen pregnancy, etc, couldn't get a job because they had no schooling or skills or proper clothes for an interview, stole something to feed themselves or their family? That sadly is a common story for a lot of people. Or the only people giving them any sort of chance is another criminal?

Or what Helen said, didn't pay their taxes, had a dirty property and didn't have the money for junk removal, etc and ended up in jail? They should be in there starving eh? They should be given an even WORSE chance when they come out. A criminal record and still no skills. Really really likely that they are going to have to resort to crime to make ends meet. We give people no chance. :wacko::wacko::wacko:

There are so many different types of people in detention centres. I think a lot of people just think they are extremely horrible people, when really a lot are people who either made a mistake, a bad decision, or had a bad life.

It just goes to show how people live.. in their own little bubbles. Talk about sheltered lives! For those in prison, the fact that they are an 'inmate' is only one thing about them. It doesn't mean that they are BAD to the core. I am sure most have many traits about them that are exactly the same as the next man. You can still be a good person and be in prison. It once again depends on your crime. I totally agree with BlackBerry25. Until you have been in their shoes, don't judge. Im sure if you were stuck in a hard place not knowing which way to turn.. made a few mistakes etc through circumstances beyond your control/seeing no other alternative/due to a terrible child hood for instance... the helping hand and rehabilitation process reaching out to you would be muchly appreciated. And yes its no excuse (bad childhood) but until you have lived through something, you don't know how you will react. We ALL make mistakes. Its a difficult one cuz we know there are some people that do crime as a living and do not give a shite about anyone or anything. They do not deserve anything. As I said before though, that sort tend not to take advantage of the help provided anyway. And as for luxuries, if they are behaving on the inside and sticking to the rules provided, why not let them watch a bit of tv. It aint hurting you/me/anyone else is it.

(Im talkin bout petty crime again.. not the serious stuff)

^no not always but it does happen.

And I don't think a lot of criminals are making money off of their "stories" Do you know how many people are in some sort of detention centre? This is a ridiculous statement. Maybe a couple sensationalized "celebrity" serial killer or something like that, but I cannot really see how an everyday person in jail would be making money off of their "story"

What if someone was effed over by society? Had shitty parents, lived in a shitty area, went to a shitty school, had to drop out young to help their family, teen pregnancy, etc, couldn't get a job because they had no schooling or skills or proper clothes for an interview, stole something to feed themselves or their family? That sadly is a common story for a lot of people. Or the only people giving them any sort of chance is another criminal?

Or what Helen said, didn't pay their taxes, had a dirty property and didn't have the money for junk removal, etc and ended up in jail? They should be in there starving eh? They should be given an even WORSE chance when they come out. A criminal record and still no skills. Really really likely that they are going to have to resort to crime to make ends meet. We give people no chance. :wacko::wacko::wacko:

There are so many different types of people in detention centres. I think a lot of people just think they are extremely horrible people, when really a lot are people who either made a mistake, a bad decision, or had a bad life.

I didnt say everyday people in jail are, or that everybody did, please dont put words in my mouth its very annoying! I said criminals so obviously ones who have been released. Believe me it seems to be happening alot in Aus and gets glorified by mini series (Underbelly for instance) being made from their lives, magazine and current affair interviews

I also mentioned Ian huntly and what they were suppossedly gonna pain him for getting bashed in prison......and how many crims walk free or get light sentences.

I wasnt making a general sweeping statement , simply pointing out that it does happen....

And i do think that crims in jail should be given the opportunity in jail to better themselves through education etc and given a chance (most anyway) Please read my posts

I did read your post, but I did not see the point in making a comment on something that happens so rarely.

This should be moved to the debate section, lol.

i look at the situations the same as her. they do get alot handed to them. i have a friend who her hubby is in prison and he has a cell phone and lap top that the gaurds snuck into him, my other friends bf gets to draw and do whatever. they even have the chance to get a ged or degree while there in there. they have gyms some can have dogs or cats they have jobs where they get money and be out of there cell its crazy. but then in some other states they have to sleep out side with a big tent covering every1 and have to dig out things for farmers or for the cemateries and stuff like that its hard work! so here it all depends on what state ure in and how they run there prisons

I did read your post, but I did not see the point in making a comment on something that happens so rarely.

I definitely agree and it has now been moved.

I can make a comment on whatever i like.

Sorry didnt realise u were the post police lol

Ur just trying to be argumentative

i can assure anyone in the uk there is no sky in our jails

my oh says there are no luxeries in jails, unless you earn money to spend on chocolate once a week, but he had to spend money on toiletries and tobacco so didnt have any left for things like that.

he said there's not a so called gym, its a gym room with a few weights, it was all the same in the six jails he got moved around in
Here we automatically get 60 channels on terrestrial; all of which are available in the prison. You don't get a TV in your cell, but you get it during the day in communal areas.

And here, as long as you pull your weight, you earn, I think 50p per day (or something like that). You each have an account, and your family can top it up whenever, and you can spend it in the tuck shop whenever you fancy something. So basically, if your family top up your account, you're laughing.

I agree with Helen and Peanutbean. People are so quick to judge and say things that they actually have no idea about. People are in prison for different reasons. Not all inmates deserve to lose their human rights. Some, I agree do. The serial killers, rapists, paedophiles. These individuals should not be given ‘luxuries’ in any way. Basic living is all they deserve. However, people offend for different reasons. Petty crime is a common thing, and reasons behind this are more extent than ‘oh he is just a criminal who does it for a laugh’. People are complex individuals. To tar every criminal with the same brush is stupid.
I totally agree. Here there are a number of people in prison simply because they don't have the paperwork to be in the country. They fled their country due to whatever reason, and they are illegal immigrants, so they go to jail until further notice. They haven't done anything violent, so are hardly the same as rapists and murderers, yet they are treated the same. Ironically, it's the rapists and murderers that request to be put in segregation (away from other inmates) for their own protection that get to use the playstation :confused: However, 99% of people have a reason to be in prison, so in my opinion the 1% that are there accidentally, should respect the fact that they are in a prison, and accept the security measures, i.e. strip searches etc. I would rather be an innocent person in prison and being strip searched every day, than know that the officers aren't being thorough and wondering what weapons etc are in the prison.

And here the strip searches aren't too bad, from what I understand. It's not like the officers touch them or take a good look. They take off their tops, their trousers, and lower their underwear to their knees; they don't even have to take it off. The lowering action means they have to bend their body just enough so that anything hidden in the creases of the bum or groin would fall out. It's not as terrible as people assume it to be; as least not here. And here they don't do a cavity search up the bum or anything, they just make you go to the loo over a grate for a couple of days and hose away the waste to see if you've hidden anything. It's not like anyone's going to put their hand up there. TBH I'd rather drop my pants to my knees in front of a prison officer than have anyone and everyone looking at my bits during labour.

People have said that once a prisoner comes out of prison, he/she has the same chance of getting a job as any one of us? I totally disagree.
I agree with you. Once you've got a record it's so hard to be trusted by a prospective employer. Someone in my immediate family has a record for petty theft (and I mean petty; they stole a can of coke from a shop), yet they have issues being trusted. And I don't see why TBH. Not all law breakers reoffend, and we shouldn't assume they will. Don't we all appreciate being given a second chance? And wouldn't our lives be different if nobody had given us the benefit of the doubt at some point along the way? I think so.

Don't you get differnt grades of prisoners aswell and seperate wings for some? Like some pedophiles can't go into the main prison population because they will get beaten up. So why not judge what they get by the grade and crime.

For example murders, peadophiles etc get the basics. Gym, exercise yard,food,water,clothes

People like helens partner who really shouldn't been in prison but doing community service etc get the luxuries. Training etc.
xx

Yeh they would, you cant just lump them in all together :)

Whether you are in there for minor offences or not tho, i still dont see why tax payers should be paying for them to have 'luxuries'

btw i dont consider job training / education as a luxury, i think it should be available to all before release (if they are going to be released of course) to give them the best chance of blending back into society and getting a decent job and in turn less chance of them re - offending x

In most prisons the worst offenders are separated from the more petty crimes. However, if a petty offender is being bullied or taunted by a fellow inmate, or if he's feeling suicidal or feeling as if he may hurt another inmate, he may request to be put into 23 hour lockdown, either for his safety (if he's being bullied) or because he doesn't want to be reprimanded for bad behaviour when he could have asked for help (in the case of being violent towards someone else), and then he loses all priviledges.

Whether you are in there for minor offences or not tho, i still dont see why tax payers should be paying for them to have 'luxuries'

btw i dont consider job training / education as a luxury, i think it should be available to all before release (if they are going to be released of course) to give them the best chance of blending back into society and getting a decent job and in turn less chance of them re - offending x

I'm genuinely curious to what luxuries you know inmates get, not what you think they get? Other than tv...

Lara that strip search sounds pretty bloody awful to me!

My sister had to have it done upon going in to prison then there would be random searches after visits. I wasn't allowed to hug her which was hard. I was only 11 :cry:

I'm genuinely curious to what luxuries you know inmates get, not what you think they get? Other than tv...
The guy I knew told me he had a playstation 2 in his cell is that a rental thing ?

Anyway I remember watching some programs on jails in America and they where feeding them meet that wasnt even fit for human consumption.

Game consoles, internet, TV, free medical and dental, full gym etc. Remember jails are different in different countries, im sure you dont know what every jail is like?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->