• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

making bottles

purpledahlia

Mummy
Reaction score
ok so im pretty new to making up bottles, ive just got home and last night used the spare hospital ones i had,

So ive sterilised 5 bottles, now can i put the cooled boiled water into them and put the lid on.. then as and when i need it add the milk?? is that ok? or do i need to sterilise each one then boil kettle cool water and add powder each time..

bit confusing,

i have avent IQ 24 steriliser..

x:blush:

Yeah thats what I do, I keep the water in them ready for whenever he wakes for a feed, add the powder - warm it and feed him.

You always get alot of different answers off people but alot of people do what you said x

yeah its a bit of a minefield when your not sure, i didnt really understand it all or how to sterilise but i got that and did 5 bottles, shes used one, so think ill re-do it all then put the boiled water in and have them just sitting ready. so can i just take the powder upstairs for nighttime and add it in my room to the ready filled bottle of water to save me coming downstairs?

Yes you can hun :) Some people make them up and store them in the fridge, some make them fresh and some do them the way you do. I cannot imagine making them completely fresh - when a baby is hungry you don't have time to boil a kettle, mix the powder in, and then cool it to the right temp.

:hugs: It will all become second nature to you after a few weeks hun. The way YOU think is right, thats the way you should do it

k cool thanks, gonna sterilise, boil kettle, add water, lid on and keep, as and when ill add powder. Put some powder in a sealed container and can keep it upstairs with two bottles and then add in the night to save me coming downstairs. :D

i would of bn more organised but i was gonna BF but that didnt work out, but all sorted! x

i just had my baby as well, and i was gonna breast feed but i felt he was not getting enough cuz he was not latching on properly.

I take three bottles of sterilzed water to bed in a thermal bag and a container of seperated milk, it saves so much time and its quicker.

k cool thanks, gonna sterilise, boil kettle, add water, lid on and keep, as and when ill add powder. Put some powder in a sealed container and can keep it upstairs with two bottles and then add in the night to save me coming downstairs. :D

i would of bn more organised but i was gonna BF but that didnt work out, but all sorted! x

Thats exactly what I plan to do!

Just having a nosy in here for tips :flower: x

the only thing about storing the water in the bottle then adding powder is that technically the water should be above 70 degrees when the powder is added to allow it to kill any bacteria that might be there.... cooler water cant do this.
we make 5 in the morning, for the day ahead, then one at bedtime, for first thing in the morning...steralise bottle, boil kettle, wait 30mins then make up bottles.. cool on the counter then put in the fridge. when they are required we just stick them iin the microwave for a ew seconds to take them to room temp, (40secs for a 9oz bottle) and off u go!
it does mean getting out of bed at night while shes still feeding so often, but its only for a few mins, and better safe than sorry?

i always made mine up in advance (although they dont recommend this now it was fine 6 years back lol) the only thing is i never left them out to cool down but chucked them in a pot/bowl in the sink with cold running water and they were cool and ready to put in the fridge within minutes
also used a jug of hot water to warm them up, not micro in case of hot spots

oh and a night i took up a carton to save the hassle of having to make a feed lol

the only thing about storing the water in the bottle then adding powder is that technically the water should be above 70 degrees when the powder is added to allow it to kill any bacteria that might be there.... cooler water cant do this.
we make 5 in the morning, steralise bottle, boil kettle, wait 30mins then make up bottles.. cool on the counter then put in the fridge. when they are required we just stick them iin the microwave for a ew seconds to take them to room temp, (40secs for a 9oz bottle) and off u go!
it does mean getting out of bed at night while shes still feeding so often, but its only for a few mins, and better safe than sorry?

I have bought a bottle warmer so that I don't need to go downstairs to microwave! It was only a fiver from ebay, takes about 3-4 mins but I figure the bottle will be ready by the time I've changed the nappy.

Not exactly the best person to be giving advice since I'm baby-less as yet...but I've been doing a lot of research :blush:

yeah we tried that... 3-4mins quickly became closer to 15mins, so microwave it is now! i did joke about getting a microwave for the bedroom at one point!

So is it better to once all 6 bottles are sterilised to just make them with powder and store in fridge?? the hospital told me do feed it at room temperature?? i cud get a bottle warmer for my room... shes feeding like 3 times a night and wud be too much going up and down the stairs with her and my scar all that time, need a way of doing it in my room really. if bottle warming is the better way then cud do that..

I make them up and store in the fridge as well because I more comfortable doing it this way, as NIfirsttimer said, the water needs to be hot enough to kill any bacteria in the powder.

I make 4 in the morning, cool in a big bowl of water and pop in the fridge, when I need them I use the Tommee Tippee bottle warmer to heat them, although I only heat them enough to take the chill off, he has them at room temp as well. Takes about 4 mins from the fridge.

When he was still feeding in the night I used to make up 2 bottles to take to bed with me at about 11pm and put them in a thermal bottle bag which kept them warm for ages.

I suppose the way they tell you to do it now is probably the safest way to do it, it really isn't practical, you'd never be able to leave the house! I think they just say this now to get you to breastfeed.

We make the bottles with the water and store them at room temp, but when she wants feeding, we reheat the bottles and then add the powder, so the water is hot when it's added.

That does mean going downstairs for the kettle, though.

So is it better to once all 6 bottles are sterilised to just make them with powder and store in fridge?? the hospital told me do feed it at room temperature?? i cud get a bottle warmer for my room... shes feeding like 3 times a night and wud be too much going up and down the stairs with her and my scar all that time, need a way of doing it in my room really. if bottle warming is the better way then cud do that..

yeah i think if you cant make them up fresh for each feed (lets face it.. who really can!!??) then the next best thing is to make them with hot water (over 70degrees) once cool, keep them in the fridge then reheat as required... some people keep a little mini fridge in their bedroom for night feeds, but keeping it chilled in a cool bag might do just as well.. then reheat in the bottle warmer?

I boil kettle fill however many bottles ,then leave them on the top at room temp til needed, warm in micro ,shake it to remove hot spots, add powder , & away we go.

I dont understand the fuss about people not using microwaves coz of hot spots, dont people shake it up? :dohh:

at nights i do the same bar i use a bottle warmer instead of microwave, then add powder,shake & serve lol

i might be wrong but it think its pretty unlikely that a bottle warmer, or a few seconds in the microwave would warm it beyond 70 degrees.. so its still safer to add the powder to water when its recently boiled, then cool & reheat as required..

ah im so confused now? if i boil the kettle it will take ages to cool surely? i duno what i should do..

On the side of our formula tin it says to boil kettle and let cool for 25-30 mins then add powder.

We store ours then in the back of the fridge and warm when she wants them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"