making bottles

yep 30 mins after boiling is about the right temp to make them with...
when i get up in the morning i boil kettle & stick steraliser on. 30mins later i make up 5 bottles, leave them on the side for a bit then stick em in the fridge. when she needs them i just bung them in the micro for a few seconds and they are ready to go. then at bedtime i make up one and put it in the fridge for the first morning feed...

they keep in the fridge made up for 24 hrs, although personally i dont leave them more than 12 hrs....so as long as you always remember to make them in advance there should always be one ready. i also keep a stock of cartons for emergencies when she needs a random feed and theres no bottles ready...

ah im so confused now? if i boil the kettle it will take ages to cool surely? i duno what i should do..

Do what you feel comfortable doing. Everyone has different opinions on how to do it :thumbup:

I personally boil the kettle and leave it to cool for 20-30 minutes, make 4 bottles, leave them to cool on the side then stick 'em in the fridge, then when I have 1 left I make 4 more. When Kacie wants a feed I stick the kettle on and warm it up in a jug. I know its a pain trapsing downstairs in the middle of the night, but oh well :shrug:

when i get up in the morning i boil kettle & stick steraliser on. 30mins later i make up 5 bottles, leave them on the side for a bit then stick em in the fridge. when she needs them i just bung them in the micro for a few seconds and they are ready to go. then at bedtime i make up one and put it in the fridge for the first morning feed...

they keep in the fridge made up for 24 hrs, although personally i dont leave them more than 12 hrs....so as long as you always remember to make them in advance there should always be one ready. i also keep a stock of cartons for emergencies when she needs a random feed and theres no bottles ready...

I mainly do this too but I use boiled water and powder at night. We have recntly started to use the microwave to heat the feeds from the fridge during the day, which is a lot quicker than using the kettle and a lot more reliable than the bottle warmer (I can never get that damnd thing right! :growlmad:). I actually have a spare microwave and I'm so tempted to pop it upstairs but I'm happy and Earl's had no problems. He has all his feeds (except his bedtime bottle) at room temp so there's no real need to heat, just to take a chill off.....oh and I pop the water bottles, while they're hot, into a cool box (from my Lindam day and night) so that they maintain a bit of temperature as my house is COLD!!

Sorry if that's complicated lol :dohh:

I make a flask of boiled water so I always have hot water ready then make up the feeds as and when he wants one, cooling them in a jug of cold water after the powder has been added. Takes a couple of mins so usually change nappy whilst we are waiting. You will get to know your babies hunger signs and routine so she shouldn't be left waiting long. And use a carton at night.

oh a flask at nighttime is a good idea, i could keep that in my room instead, i wake just before she does when she needs a feed anyways and then would have time to change nappy etc while it cools. Other than that im gonna get a bottle warmer for my room and heat the water then add powder and during the day im not sure yet i might just make them as i need them or make a bunch in the morning and then heat. *THINK* im getting my head round it! lol.

I do the exact same - make enough bottles for the next 12 hours, dunk in cold water - shove them in the fridge and heat in microwave when needed, about 30secs for 180ml

I do it differently to most, i steralise the bottles and at the moment he is having 4oz so i boil the kettle add 3 oz to each bottle and take his flask of boiling water up, when he wants a feed i add the last oz of boiling water and add the milk so its the right temp, saves going down stairs and boiling the kettle!!

https://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500001801&productId=1500582259&langId=-1&engine=froogle&keyword=Fisher-Price+Bottle+Warming+Flask&_$ja=tsid:11527%7Ccc:%7Cprd:3990643%7Ccat:Baby+Feeding+Products

:thumbup:

Is it ok for me to be putting boiled water in bottles and taking them to bed with me at night in thermal bags and adding powder when needed and feeding.

I dont re-heat them or anything, i just add formula to room temp sterilzed water ?

Its just such a pain getting up in the night. He doessnt seem to have problems

Is it ok for me to be putting boiled water in bottles and taking them to bed with me at night in thermal bags and adding powder when needed and feeding.

I dont re-heat them or anything, i just add formula to room temp sterilzed water ?

Its as OK as you find it hun :) "Officially" its wrong but so are lots of things we do.

For me, I make the bottles up with powder within 30 mins of the kettle boiling as i am concerned about powder bacteria. I pop them in fridge and warm up when needed. I use cartons when we're out so i don't have to worry about heating or keeping bottles cold in changing bag :)

Its as OK as you find it hun :) "Officially" its wrong but so are lots of things we do.

For me, I make the bottles up with powder within 30 mins of the kettle boiling as i am concerned about powder bacteria. I pop them in fridge and warm up when needed. I use cartons when we're out so i don't have to worry about heating or keeping bottles cold in changing bag :)

This is what gets confusing , I was told not to put bottles in the fridge at all as it increases bacteria or something or encourages it to grow? But to leave them on the top at room temperature?
I so wish i was still breastfeeding, far to much farting around & hassle with bottles *sigh*

I do it differently to most, i steralise the bottles and at the moment he is having 4oz so i boil the kettle add 3 oz to each bottle and take his flask of boiling water up, when he wants a feed i add the last oz of boiling water and add the milk so its the right temp, saves going down stairs and boiling the kettle!!

I also do this :) Also do this when on outings as i've found that shops near me dont have bottles warmers & warming a bottle stood in water takes far to long.
Nicki from here sent me her flask & its been a godsend at either bedtimes or whilst out & about. I have a bottle warmer so depends if he is instantly hungry or can wait for few mins to which i use :)

Where has this bacteria thing come from too? I've never once been told anything about bacteria in formula milk? The way i'm doing it is the way both mw & hv said was recommended now bar using the microwave that is. I don't think officially there is a wrong or right way tbh, Each of us will do it as we find best for us i guess x

I did it differently. I did it how i was told when i had my 12 yr old.
I sterilized then added the amount of boiling water to the bottles left them to cool, then added the powder. Then put them in the fridge. When needed id put them in jug of boiling water.
When i had Nieve in`08 the midwives told me i had to do it as she needed them because of new guidlines. Apparently a couple babies abroad became ill doing it the old way. But like has been said you know whats best for you and LO.
I didnt do it as they said as trying to pacify a screaming , hungry baby at 2am whilst waiting for it to cool would have been awful x

bacteria multiply at room temp, they dont in hot hot water (over 70degrees) or in chilled milk (fridge)
technically there shouldnt be any bacteria in the milk, but u never know... and especially when its a large pot of powder thats being opened and closed a few times each day... you never know whats getting in there really.....

everyone has their own way of doing it, and different things suit different people, my HV told me to do it how i wanted, so long as the powder was added to water above 70 degrees (boiled aprox 30 mins b4) and it wasnt left hanging about at room temp for too long.....

i did a fair bit of research into this when i switched to formula, and almost everything up to date that i read backed this advice up....

If there is bacteria present, then adding it to cold / cooled / room temp / slightly warm water will not kill it, and it will be able to multiply

This is what gets confusing , I was told not to put bottles in the fridge at all as it increases bacteria or something or encourages it to grow? But to leave them on the top at room temperature?
I so wish i was still breastfeeding, far to much farting around & hassle with bottles *sigh*

the whole reason they changed things and say now not to put them in the fridge is becasue people were leaving them out to cool down rather than quickly cooling under cold running water - thats where the bacteria prob comes in coz it breeds like hell when left out to cool whereas if you chill them straight away they are safely stored at the correct temp in fridge for when needed

i am still a fan of opening a carton in the night though, dont think i will ever change on that one

i know.. its a minefield!!! when i switched over i hadnt a clue, and all the info is confusing, but as long as u follow those 2 main things i think the rest is personal choice, and all as good as the next way!
wait till u start weaning! that really is a minefield at first!!!

At least ive got some experience with weaning tho, the family i worked for just had 2 bottles and didnt even sterilise them! just washed then made them up (with bottled water) so bad, but wasnt my baby : / The weaning was fun tho!

I got a bottle warmer this afternoon and i also got a nifty little tub which holds three pre measured powder bits and i just need to pour when i need.. saves me having to remember to take up the scoop and bring back down etc..!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->