making bottles

bacteria multiply at room temp, they dont in hot hot water (over 70degrees) or in chilled milk (fridge)
technically there shouldnt be any bacteria in the milk, but u never know... and especially when its a large pot of powder thats being opened and closed a few times each day... you never know whats getting in there really.....

everyone has their own way of doing it, and different things suit different people, my HV told me to do it how i wanted, so long as the powder was added to water above 70 degrees (boiled aprox 30 mins b4) and it wasnt left hanging about at room temp for too long.....

i did a fair bit of research into this when i switched to formula, and almost everything up to date that i read backed this advice up....

If there is bacteria present, then adding it to cold / cooled / room temp / slightly warm water will not kill it, and it will be able to multiply

This is how I see it too :)

There should be no bacteria BUT powdered milk is kept in a arton that is opened and shut many time, exposing it to alsorts. Theres no way they could say it bacteria free because its an impossibility :)

I don't sterilize my son's bottles and never have. I wash them in hot, hot soapy water, allow them to dry on a bottle rack, add my purified bottled water (room temperature), and put the lid on. I take 4 bottles with me to my bedroom and when he wakes to eat, I add the powder, shake and serve. He is now 10 weeks old and never once have I had a problem with bacteria or him getting sick.

yep thats the point. No one says doing it that way will make your baby sick, but should there be bacteria in the powder, then he could easily become ill, and since you cant see it, and theres no way of knowing its there, , thats why i personally prefer to do it the recommended way, again its personal choice, but not a risk im personally willing to take

I sterilized my daughters bottles until she was six months. Not I am a germaphobe, I disinfect my whole house almost every day. But, I honestly think that kids these days get so ill because they are never exposed to any germs.

Making bottles is one of those things that people have to decide for themselves. Some babies just don't want to wait for 30 minutes whilst a bottle cools. I know mine certainly didn't :lol:

im allso having bottle nightmare there will never be a right or wrong way i mean ive already got a 6 yr old and id completly forgoton how to a make up a bottle , i do the boil kettle leave for 30 mins add powder leave to cool then store in fridge but seems like alot of people cool them straight away after adding powder and put them in fridge xx

I think it's like everything, it's different depending on where you are. Here almost no one sterilizes, pretty much no one uses boiled water for bottles either :) When Landon was on bottles we just washed in very hot soapy water, I did sterilize but not each time, but just in boiling water a couple times a week. Then when I made up his bottles I ran the tap water until it was warm, filled the bottle, added powder, shook and served lol. I guess maybe there is something different where the water...also varies where you live in the US, some cities don't have as good of water so it would be recommended to boil first, but where I lived there was no need so it made it easier. I made up bottles as he needed them, never in advance. So it only took a minute for the water to warm up from running and I was done.

I sterilise the bottles, boil the kettle, leave for 20 mins then add the hot water to the bottles, add the milk powder, cool and put in the fridge. Then just get one out when she needs it. I make up 6 bottles (24 hours worth) at a time. Always done it like this, and always been fine.

We use soya formula though, I don't know if I would be comfortable making up cows milk formula in advance like this.

I make a flask of boiled water so I always have hot water ready then make up the feeds as and when he wants one, cooling them in a jug of cold water after the powder has been added. Takes a couple of mins so usually change nappy whilst we are waiting. You will get to know your babies hunger signs and routine so she shouldn't be left waiting long. And use a carton at night.

I do the same as above but don't use a carton at night as our little girl is on prescription only formula (nutriprem 2) and we are only allowed 16 cartons a month :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->