~*Mamas of Reflux Babies*~

My 16 week old is currently having a massive flare up. His case wasn't too bad as it was just managed with anti-reflux milk, keeping him upright for half an hour after feeds and propping his cot but the last few days have been hellish. Its now a struggle every feed and he's so miserable :cry:. He can't sleep well at night either - he has one stretch that is ok but after his night feed he only sleeps in half hour spurts and is very restless.

You might have seen my other post about antibiotics possibly making it worse. It's so hard to figure out what is causing what!

I'm going to take him to the doctor tomorrow to see if we can start some other meds for him. We tried Gaviscon previously but it made no difference.

Not really sure what the point of this post is - just needed to vent I guess!

Have you tried an extensively hydrolyzed formula? This means the cow milk protein is highly broken down. It could be that your kiddo has an intolerance. My kiddo got better with the anti-reflux formula but then he got worse and worse. Nothing we did was helping. Turns out he had CMPI and until we gave him a formula with broken protein, he simply couldn't digest it. Not saying it's the same for yours, but I think all babies with reflux need to have that eliminated as a culprit first. If it's CMPI, it gives you a new way of treating the reflux. If it's not CMPI, then you know for sure it's time to move onto stronger meds. However, you can only know for sure once you know if it is or isn't CMPI and this is getting overlooked way too much. You could ask about this at the appointment. :flower:

I really hope your kiddo feels better soon. Hang in there, mama :hugs:

Thanks, I'll look into that. Do you know the names of any of the milks?

Dr gave him ranitidine so I gave him his first dose today and he immediately threw up. And the screaming, arching, gulping started up. My baby barely ever throws up. I don't think any of it stayed in. Has this happened to anyone else?

I do think the antibiotics are the cause of this flare up which makes me wonder if probiotics are the answer but seems little point in giving them while he's still on antibiotics- they'll just get killed off!

Aiden was diagnosed with CMPI today at 8 months old. Waiting for a referral to a dietician. Was told to cut out diary from his diet which I already started to do myself a few days ago and already his eczema is loads better. Still on the anti reflux milk and ranitidine until the Dr speaks to the dietician though.

Has anyone else's meds suddenly stopped working? Over the last 3 days all symptoms are suddenly back :( He is on ranitidine. I have an appt with an Osteopath tomorrow. Sad times :(

Has anyone else's meds suddenly stopped working? Over the last 3 days all symptoms are suddenly back :( He is on ranitidine. I have an appt with an Osteopath tomorrow. Sad times :(

Ranitidine is very weight sensitive. Could be worth getting lo weighed again incase the dose needs increasing. We had to do this numerous times, eventually he was put on the maximum dose.

Was going to sAy the same.
Nothing worked like omeprazol for my boy, hes on max dose split on 2 x a day and it helps for the most part (theres alwYs flare ups)

Thanks, Girls. I missed BabyClinic since we were at the Osteopath so will try take him next week

Have you tried an extensively hydrolyzed formula? This means the cow milk protein is highly broken down. It could be that your kiddo has an intolerance. My kiddo got better with the anti-reflux formula but then he got worse and worse. Nothing we did was helping. Turns out he had CMPI and until we gave him a formula with broken protein, he simply couldn't digest it. Not saying it's the same for yours, but I think all babies with reflux need to have that eliminated as a culprit first. If it's CMPI, it gives you a new way of treating the reflux. If it's not CMPI, then you know for sure it's time to move onto stronger meds. However, you can only know for sure once you know if it is or isn't CMPI and this is getting overlooked way too much. You could ask about this at the appointment. :flower:

I really hope your kiddo feels better soon. Hang in there, mama :hugs:

Hi Nela,

Do you thicken the pepti formula? Dr has now prescribed it so today we are changing from anti-reflux milk to aptimal pepti. It's not a great time for change as he has an awful tummy bug but HV said it might be better to change the milk straight away. I tried giving him the new formula this morning but he only took a few gulps then refused so I tried him with his anti reflux milk as I don't want him getting dehydrated but he refused that too. Up until this morning his tummy bug hasn't effected his milk intake so I'm not sure if it's the bug or the milk taste/consistency?! Did you use gaviscon with it? X

Heya Sezz,

Just straight Pepti for Nathan. It can be that he will refuse due to the taste change. Did they say that you could perhaps do a gradual switchover? I know I combined comfort and Pepti for a while and then put him on straight Pepti. Maybe that would help him get used to it. Sucky timing with the tummy bug but hopefully he'll do much better with the new formula. :hugs:

I have to tell you all... I previously posted our meds weren't working anymore but we were going to see an Osteopath... well... freakin' miracle! Meds are working again with no increase in dose. Booked for another session on Thursday :)

Heya Sezz,

Just straight Pepti for Nathan. It can be that he will refuse due to the taste change. Did they say that you could perhaps do a gradual switchover? I know I combined comfort and Pepti for a while and then put him on straight Pepti. Maybe that would help him get used to it. Sucky timing with the tummy bug but hopefully he'll do much better with the new formula. :hugs:

I've not been given any advice about how to switch. I tried again at 11am but he wouldn't drink it so tried the anti reflux milk to see if it was because of being poorly that he wouldn't drink...he drank the lot. I might try mixing it to do a gradual change. Really need to keep him hydrated with how quick everything is going through him 😞 he's eating solids again today though so hopefully that's a good sign he's feeling better.

Your babies older so will know it tastes yuky :p
Mix 3/4cormuka to 1/4 new formula and gradualy increase or you couod flavour with vanilla essence

Hey all hows weaning going?

We are going verrrry slowly but were gradualy getting a no and yes list!
Ive also taken more to baby led weaning! We do a little puree as i want to test for reactions but he also feeds himself.

I made free from everything bread for him and spread with vitealite he loved it :)

Cant have

Rice cereal
Sweet pot
Apple

Pear is questionable so trying again

He can have
Millet porridge
Organix corn crisps
Bread and vitealite
Parsnip
Avocado

:) hes not had loads but feeling more positive as a few weeks ago anything i gave him made him bad

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 2
He has eaten:-

Toast
Bagel
English Muffins
Ham
Chicken Breasts
Flaked Cod & Haddock
Mashed potatoes
Steamed potatoes, carrots, parsnip, sweet potato
Cucumber
Tomatoes
Mango (reflux ruled this out)
Melon (Refux ruled this out)
Banana
Readybrek (kids oatmeal - smooth but with lumps - similar to stage 2)
Tuna
Rice Cakes
Carrot Puffs (a fave)

Plus meals made with the above such as fish pie. We are trying pasta soon though he has had bits from my plate. I make fruit puree for his toast/cereals as he can't seem to eat them in pure form.

Any ideas for dairy free stuff to put on toast? Is marmite ok? So far all I've come up with is mashed banana or humous. Purée fruits seem to make him sick now so that's out.

What a great listyou have:)

Ive been putti g vitealite dAiry free on his toast

You could also use purees as jam...

Sorry you cant do purees, i think theres alot of dairy free spreads, dont see why not with marmite either

He has eaten:-

Toast
Bagel
English Muffins
Ham
Chicken Breasts
Flaked Cod & Haddock
Mashed potatoes
Steamed potatoes, carrots, parsnip, sweet potato
Cucumber
Tomatoes
Mango (reflux ruled this out)
Melon (Refux ruled this out)
Banana
Readybrek (kids oatmeal - smooth but with lumps - similar to stage 2)
Tuna
Rice Cakes
Carrot Puffs (a fave)

Plus meals made with the above such as fish pie. We are trying pasta soon though he has had bits from my plate. I make fruit puree for his toast/cereals as he can't seem to eat them in pure form.

Hi Noo,
I think I remember you saying you use almond milk? Looking for something to cook with and use with porridge. Is it just whole nuts lo's can't have? Will my 8.5 mo be ok with almond milk? Thanks 😊

Ok for a little one to join the party?

I'm not sure how I actually found you now - my third very sleepless night has turned my head into a sieve!

So my little girl is 14 weeks old, for ages we've been wondering if her problem has just been trapped wind, but after reading the very informative first post on this thread, I think we've definitely got reflux. It IS something we considered being the problem and managed to convince the Dr to prescribe us some infant Gaviscon at our 6-8 week check, but as she didn't always act refluxy, we haven't been using it consistently - plus the fact I don't want to have to deal with constipation...

BUT

The last few nights things have got worse, my OH gets her off to sleep brilliantly, but once she wakes in the night, she won't go back down in her basket at all, as soon as I try she gets all gripey. The only way I can manage it (sometimes) is to let her feed (she's breastfed mostly) and if she falls into a deep enough sleep, I can get away with it. Other than that she'll only sleep on me.

Other things that tie in with reflux:-

She is windy - VERY windy
She hiccups a lot.
She sicks up a lot - and sometimes it's projectile. I'm there with burp cloth on my shoulder and it totally shoots past that and lands on the floor :dohh:
She's started cramming her fist into her mouth, sometimes her fingers far into her mouth and makes herself gag.
She sneezes an awful lot.
She is easily overstimulated/gets overtired
She'll cough/gulp and then cry like she's in pain.

But:
She's still gaining weight at a steady pace (on her little growth trend she's still just under 50th centile where she's always been)

She'll happily lie on her back during the day, she loves to thrash her legs about (great for releasing wind)

Is reflux something that is worse at night? When do they grow out of it?

So far I've only been using 1/2 the dose recommended by the Dr, so tonight I'll use two sachets and see if that helps.

Will try and read the whole thread when I get the chance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->