Maternity Pay Question

pennies

Reaction score
We're currently TTC #1 so thought I'd turn my attention to our finances and get planning!

The problem is I'm so confused by maternity pay!

My work offers 8 weeks full pay, then on to SMP, however one thing I can't work out, would I get:

8 weeks full pay
6 weeks @ 90%
X weeks @ £139.58 per week

Or just:

8 weeks full pay
X weeks @ £139.58 per week

I can't find anything online that tells me whether occupation maternity pay cancels out the 6 weeks at 90% or not?!

I can't/don't really want to ask my work as I don't want to let on I am trying, but also because they've never had anyone go on maternity leave before (male oriented environment) meaning I'll likely be the first and I can pretty much guarantee that they won't know. We also don't have a dedicated HR person, just one of the guys at work doing that role 🙈

Any help or previous experience of this much appreciated!

this is going back years but it was staggered going smaller and then onto smp.

just had a quick look and its 90% for 6 weeks which sounds rightand then £139 a week. bare in mind you will get child tax credit which is roughly 60 quid a week and working tax credit roughly 20 and child benefit which is 20 once baby is there

Hi. SMP gives you the 6 weeks at 90% followed by 33 weeks at the £139 figure.

If your company offer the first 8 weeks at full pay then this is an enhancement above the basic SMP rate. After the 8 weeks you'd then drop into the weekly £139 rate for the remaining 31 weeks.

Thank you for both of your responses, I had a feeling it would cancel out the 6 weeks at 90%.

I don't think I'd qualify for either child tax credit or working tax credit, so would just be child benefit too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->