May's Munchkins 2015

I'm a bit worried about leaving DD for so long. She'll be 20 months and has stayed home with her grandparents staying over before but I'm still concerned about it. Though I'm kind of worried about her in general with the whole big sister adjustment.

My daughter will be 2yrs 5 mos. Almost 2 1/2. I have only left her overnight one time since she was born and I thought of her the entire time. I'm definitely going to have a hard time leaving her and I worry about balancing time between her and new baby. Especially because she doesn't quite understand that in a few months, we will be bringing a baby home to stay forever. I'm going to ask my mother or mother in law to stay with her, at our house, when I go to the hospital (providing there is time).

I also want to stay at home as long as possible this time. I had a long labor last time (25 hours) and the hospital, although the nurses in delivery were great and the room was nice, I hated being there. I couldn't sleep. I'm hoping for a shorter labor and shorter time in the hospital, if possible.

The hospital I'm going to (like most hospitals around here) only has private rooms in the maternity ward. The most rooms are pretty small, but there are some larger suites as well. I can't imagine why you should have to share a room when you are high risk, I'd think you need your rest even more?

In our hospital you stay for 4 days after a vaginal birth and for 5 days after a c-section.

I have a lot of friends who liked being taken care of in the hospital and not having to entertain visitors at home, though I can imagine you feel a lot better at your own place where people have to call before they visit and can't just bust in during visiting hours.

I don't get my hospitals logic either, I think it should be the other way around short term stays no risk labours should share a room high risk people shouldn't. It's fucked but it's true :(

I am currently sitting awake at 5am due to the WORST uti I've had in over 5 years. I have 12 years history with them and they use to be bad when I was a teen. I was up 3x tonight to try to pee with little luck and when I did manage to fall asleep I'd dream about it and wake myself up. As soon as I leave the bathroom I feel the same as I did walking in, I am so uncomfortable I broke down crying at 445 to my sleeping hubby. The best I can hope for is my obs office which doesn't open til 9 has a Dr in (mine is on an epic vacation) that can call my pharmacy in a prescription for me without me going in. If not I'll have to go to a walk in and hope they'll prescribe me something without a urine sample cuz at this time I'm not able to produce much and if I am it'll be watered down cuz I'm trying to flush my system with load of water. I'm miserable!!!

Had my 20 week anatomy scan yesterday - definitely team pink (or purple really... I'm not really a pink person!). Thanks for all of the feedback on the name Alice too - it's probably going to stick!

I'm switching over to a birthing center now that we've had the 20 week scan for basically all the reasons you ladies have discussed above! I love that as long as I'm still considered low risk when I go into labor that I'll be able to deliver at the birthing center in what feels like a bedroom atmosphere and can take our little munchkin home 4 hours later!

The hospital I'm going to (like most hospitals around here) only has private rooms in the maternity ward. The most rooms are pretty small, but there are some larger suites as well. I can't imagine why you should have to share a room when you are high risk, I'd think you need your rest even more?

In our hospital you stay for 4 days after a vaginal birth and for 5 days after a c-section.

I have a lot of friends who liked being taken care of in the hospital and not having to entertain visitors at home, though I can imagine you feel a lot better at your own place where people have to call before they visit and can't just bust in during visiting hours.

Where do you live? Like, what country?

Had my 20 week anatomy scan yesterday - definitely team pink (or purple really... I'm not really a pink person!). Thanks for all of the feedback on the name Alice too - it's probably going to stick!

I'm switching over to a birthing center now that we've had the 20 week scan for basically all the reasons you ladies have discussed above! I love that as long as I'm still considered low risk when I go into labor that I'll be able to deliver at the birthing center in what feels like a bedroom atmosphere and can take our little munchkin home 4 hours later!

Congrats on the girl! I'm SO JEALOUS about the birthing center thing. I really wish I had that option here.

Kiss08 - yeah I'm feeling pretty lucky. I grew up in a super small town in Northern Michigan where the only option would be a hospital - BUT it's a great little one and the doctors are a lot more personable and I would have probably known half of the people. I live just outside of DC now and the hospitals are so big and so numerous that they make me feel nervous and like I'm just another number! I do have a great certified nurse midwife at my OB/GYN office who I love, but she isn't allowed to deliver at the hospitals in the area. Switching to the birthing center was a bit nerve-wracking, but they're only 5 minutes from another huge hospital with a Tier 3 neonatal intensive care unit - so it still feels like a very safe option even if it is 40 minutes from our house!

I am often amazed on how "the law" limits how/where a woman can have her baby! I mean, really? Not that I would, but if I want to have my baby in the middle of the woods I should be able to! In Washington we can have our babies at a birthing center or at home, but their are other states in America that it is illegal to have a home birth! ILLEGAL!! I mean, if you really wanted one you could just stay home and be like "oh the baby came too quick" but you wouldn't be able to have a Midwife or Doula there. Unless they were willing to be like "well I was over for a cup of coffee and the baby came too quick! What was I supposed to do???

It isn't illegal to have a home birth in any state I have heard of, but it is illegal for midwives to practice so you pretty much have to do it yourself. I could be wrong though.

I'm a bit nervous about leaving dd overnight, as well. She will be 18 months when this baby comes. I still nurse her at night, but we are trying to cut down. And she cosleeps with only me bc DH works overnight. We've tried having DH put her to bed and she wants nothing to do with it. I'm hoping she will be night weaned in the next couple months, but she doesn't act like she is ready yet. I'm hoping she will be ok with my mom bc she adores her and my mom is so patient with kids and babies. (She better be after having 7!) :) hopefully I'll go into labor during the day lol and she can spend the night at the hospital with us.

I might be alone in this, but I'm looking forward to a hospital stay and I really hope they don't send me home too soon! Eline's hospital sounds ideal to me. I love the idea that there's some help in the hospital whereas once I'm released, it'll just be me and my equally clueless husband wondering just what to do with the two helpless newborns. ;)

Meaghan, sorry to hear about your UTI. I'm pretty prone to them too and they're the absolute worst. Here's hoping you get the prescription called in without a visit and a pee test!

MltoDC, congrats on the girl. So exciting!

Rubysmommy - Cool that your hospital will let your DD stay the night there with you! Ours won't. They say anyone under the age of 17 (unless it is one of the parents) is a liability.

Meagan, I got tested for a uti today. Pretty sure I have one too. I was barely able to give them any pee, but she said it was okay because they only needed a few drops. So if you do have to test at least theY don't need much.

Ruby, my dd wont let hubby put her to bed either. Ugh. Hopefully in the next few months she wiLl though. We rock her to sleep (she only let's me), then she cosleeps between us. I am hoping to go into labor right after she falls asleep. Then my mom can come just sleep in our bed. I doubt the timing will work out, but I can hope lol.

atx614 - I just realized your kidlets will be almost the exact same age gap as my DS1 and DS2!! DS1's bday is 9-23-02 and DS2's is 5-19-04 :)

atx614 - I just realized your kidlets will be almost the exact same age gap as my DS1 and DS2!! DS1's bday is 9-23-02 and DS2's is 5-19-04 :)

My dd was born 9-29 so almost exactly the same! I know it will be an adjustment, but I am so happy they will be close in age!

I might be alone in this, but I'm looking forward to a hospital stay and I really hope they don't send me home too soon! Eline's hospital sounds ideal to me. I love the idea that there's some help in the hospital whereas once I'm released, it'll just be me and my equally clueless husband wondering just what to do with the two helpless newborns. ;)

Meaghan, sorry to hear about your UTI. I'm pretty prone to them too and they're the absolute worst. Here's hoping you get the prescription called in without a visit and a pee test!

MltoDC, congrats on the girl. So exciting!

Oh Ruby I think I'd feel the same with twins! I think that extra reassurance with two tiny babies would be great.

Thanks gals, xox

Uti took a terrible turn for the worse not long after that post. I quite literally could not get off the toilet. It burned and there was pressure (a symptom I've never had ever either of them). I couldn't get off the toilet I was hysterical it hurt I was scared it was a terrifying experience. Hubby came home and forced me to the hospital, which was miserable I couldn't make it out the house with out thinking I was going to pee myself badly. I started peeing blood as my body was trying to force out droplets I didn't have. It all lasted about 4 hours before it settled to manageable but I'm still at the hospital waiting for a Dr, 6 hours later. I know if it's subsided I don't need iv antibiotics so I'm waiting on a vigorous course of antibiotics. I probably scared my kids to death too getting them out of bed to my hysterics running me to the hosp with dad.

Anyways, sorry for the long story it's been an awful day. I've never had it this bad scared me to death. Baby didn't kick for 4 hours but after a couple glasses of cranberry juice she got active. That was scary too I almost sent my husband home for my Doppler :/

Oh no Megan I am so sorry! The first time I had a UTI bad enough to bleed it scared the begessies out of me and I wasn't even prego!! I hope you start to feel better soon.

I guess I don't know if I'm allowed to keep dd there with me. We don't have any specific visiting hours, so I don't see why she couldn't just be 'visiting'. We are doing the hospital tour on February 2, so I'll ask then.

I hope it gets better fast Meagan!

Yikes Meagan! So sorry, but glad you are at the hospital to get medicine!!

Wow Meagan! I'm happy you are doing alright now. I have never had a UTI that bad.

RubyRedlips, I think if I were having twins, or no other kids at home (I can't remember if you do or not) I'd want to stay in the hospital extra too. In hopes of getting a bit of help and MAYBE some sleep. I say maybe because I stayed 3 nights in the hospital. One I was in labor the whole time and the other two were after giving birth.

I slept maybe a total of 4 hours when I was in the hospital. They never came to take the baby away ( except for one hour the next day after she was born)and she cried and cried unless she was nursing. I would fall asleep nursing her and the nurses came in waking me, saying they didn't want me to do that in case I drop the baby or something (unless someone was there with me). Then when I'd finally quiet baby and try to go to sleep, they'd come in to feel for my uterus, check my bp, do something to not let me sleep or they'd check on baby and wake her. At home I knew I'd have DH to hold the baby while I took a nap. The first week of my daughter's life is a complete blur because I was so tired. I'm hoping I don't have to stay the extra day this time and I get to come home and nap! Plus I don't want to be away from my daughter too long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->