May's Munchkins 2015

I KNOW right!? It was terrible. We left 24 hrs to the minute from when baby came cuz I couldn't stand it anymore.

This woman's mother and fob(maybe) stayed ALL NIGHT. They talked all night. She had family in after midnight bringing her take out!! She left her light on all night even after nurses repeatedly asked her to turn it off and then turned it off themselves on my behalf. She'd turn it back on.

I can't go through that again lol

Oh my goodness. I can't even imagine sharing a room after having a baby. That's horrible

Oh wow, just because you are high risk you have to share a room?!?

So with DS, I was kind of "high risk" after he was born, pre-eclampsia and what not. They just kept me in the antenatal ward instead of the postnatal ward for about 24 hours. The room was slightly bigger...more nurses and staff though.

Sharing a room would be awful. I had a hard enough time having no sleep in the hospital, I couldn't imagine having to deal with someone else as well.

I think everything is well here. Nothing to report. I'm feeling baby every day for a bit here and there and I'm getting bigger. I have no more ultrasound scheduled and might not have another :( but I am hoping that I do get to see baby again before she's born in 19 weeks. I am getting a new doctor, so depending on how they do things I may or may not see baby again. It's a good thing because I guess it means things are well in my pregnancy but I really want to see the baby.

I hope you're all well

Wow, sharing a room sounds terrible! I would think high risk would have their own room!!

I am surprised y'all were allowed to leave at 24 hours! We had to stay 48. Usually it's 36 here, but sInce dd was so small we had to stay a bit longer to monitor dd.

When is everyone else allowed to leave? I am hoping to leave earlier this time as hubby will be home with dd overnight so I will be wanting to get back to them!

Imsotired, I hope you get another scan! That's a long time. I will have oe at 30 weeks to check growth since dd was iugr. Then depending on that I may or may not have more.

Sharing a room once baby is born is common practice here in the uk, you get to birth on your own and if your extremely lucky you might get a small side room to yourself but usially you get put on a ward with 4 other women.

Do you not have wards in the US?

Also if your lucky and everything goes smoothly depending on the time of day you give birth you can get a 6 hour release usually it's a 12-24 hour release

Apparently it depends on where you are. Every hospital in Washington that I know of - you do not have to share a room after you have a baby. Heck, a lot of them you don't have to share a room at all ever. And your baby stays in your room unless (s)he needs special medical care.

You don't HAVE to stay in the hospital any longer than you want to. They can't make you. You will probably have to sign a waiver stating you are discharging yourself, but unless they can prove you mentally unstable, they can't keep you. Well, in the US anyway - IDK about anywhere ells.

I think around here, standard is 2-3 days depending on how Mama and baby are doing. I technically stayed 3 with DS1 because he was born at 11:48 at night and they kept us two more nights.... I had to say 3 days with DS2 because my blood pressure was way too high when I had him and I needed to be monitored.

I actually go to a hospital where you labor, deliver and recover all in one huge room. I had two pull out couches and everything. I loved it. But I know other hospitals have separate labor/delivery then recovery rooms. But none here make you share.

I have no idea about our hospital, but I really hope so long as we are complication free and I dont have to have a c-section that we won't be kept in longer than 24 hours! Hubby is hopefully starting a new job in the next couple months and doesn't want to take the mick by taking 2 weeks off really quickly after starting, so is only planning on having 1 week with me and baby if all goes well (obviously if there are complications or I have to have a c-section then he will take longer off work!)

This baby has also apparently gotten bored of kicking and has moved onto rolling and tickling instead!! Not something I'm too pleased about as I detest being tickled and that's no different from the inside - but I'll forgive my cheeky munchkin on this occasion :haha:
I think I'm in for a growth spurt too as not only has baby gone a little quiet but my appetite has gone through the roof!! Good job I had plenty of fruit with me today or I may have eaten my desk!!!

You know what is kinda funny - when my Mom had me (you know, 33 years ago), she had a smoking room! LOL

I shall be arriving at the hospital as late as possible (last time I got to my room 15 minutes before I started pushing.. I'd love a repeat of that!) and leaving as SOON as possible, hopefully right at 24 hours which is the minimum for my hospital for vaginal births (24-48 hours for vaginal, 48-72 hours for csection). Last time I stayed about 26 hours. They wanted me to stay longer (breastfeeding problems) but I pushed to leave. I hate being in hospitals!!

Generally in the US we have a labor and delivery floor (bigger rooms, always singles) and a recovery floor (typically smaller rooms, I've only heard of singles). If you have a csection, you might recover for a few hours in a group room but then you'd be moved to your own recovery room.

I pushed to leave too, but I think the nurses understood what kind of a roommate I had and understood. I stayed a few days with dd1 but I was a first time mom and had my own room. I think 2 nights total including the night she was born and left in the evening after night 2.
I'm dreading this time, I'm going to talk to my Dr see if there's anything I can do to not go through that again. I'll leave immediately if I have to share a room. I don't care what papers I have to sign I'm going home. Lol.

They used to have shared rooms in the US, but insurance would only pay for shared unless there was only private available. They can charge more for private rooms, customers/patients like them better, no fighting with insurance companies over what was available at the time of check in or whatever, win-win (unless you have to pay for insurance...)

I had mostly good experiences with the hospital when I had DS1 and DS2 - but I will be having this one at a different hospital and Hubby (DS1 and DS2 have a differnet father... well the same as each other... just different from this one lol) hates hates hates the hospital. I think that if all goes well we will probably push for the closer to 24 hours option.

I like 24 hours! Gonna go for that this time so dd doesn't worry! She hasn't ever been at night without me.

I like 24 hours! Gonna go for that this time so dd doesn't worry! She hasn't ever been at night without me.

You may want to schedule a night with a Grandparent or something just as a dry run to prepair her. That way if she freaks out you will be able to go get her and even if she doesn't you will be there the next day so she already has an experience of "just cuz I am gone doesn't mean I won't come back" --- My neighbors never had their DS away from them ever and when they had their DD (he was 2) he cried and cried and cried for them ALL NIGHT and I mean all night. I even went over there at 3am to see if I could distract him at all and it didn't even work for a second. THEN when they all did come home he hated his Grandparents because they wouldn't let his Mommy come home to see him. He didn't understand at all why it was necissary and it wasn't Grandparents fault. He didn't forgive them for about a year. Just some food for thought.

I'm a bit worried about leaving DD for so long. She'll be 20 months and has stayed home with her grandparents staying over before but I'm still concerned about it. Though I'm kind of worried about her in general with the whole big sister adjustment.

Its a lot to worry about! My DS1 was 19 months old when DS2 was born. Here are some tidbits that I learned and things that worked for me:

1 - My Mom lived with me so DS1 did not have a hard time staying home with her. Maybe your Mom can stay at your house with DD? (though that is what my neighbors did, and it didn't help their DS at all)
2 - DS1 DID NOT like seeing me in the hospital with an IV in (had to have it in for 24 hours after DS2 was born because of complications. All was well) when he came to visit after DS2 was born. On hind site, I would not have had him come while I still had an IV.
3- Have people say hi to and give hugs to your DD before they see the baby when they come visit. The baby won't know the difference at all. Most people who brought a presant for my DS2 brought one for my DS1 as well and some only brought one for DS1.
4 - Be prepaired for her to get sick of other people doing things for her and to want you to do things for her. Hopefully you get 4 days before you get to that point like I did :)
5 - Know that it is hard and scarry but not at all impossable. I was a single mom by the time DS2 was born and thought I sometimes wonder myself how I did it, the answer is. You just do. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->