May's Munchkins 2015

My hospital sounds like yours Kate. Most of those things happen automatically at our hospital too. I am getting so excited!! I can't wait to see our little one.

I don't know what my hospital's typical procedures are because I was only in my hospital room 15 minutes before I started pushing with #1. Most of the delivery stuff my OB always does but in the event my OB can't deliver me, I want to have all my wishes written down somewhere so I don't forget anything. My first birth went completely "according to plan." We shall see how this one goes! One thing I know is different about my birth plan compared to typical practice at my hospital is the expectant delivery of placenta (basically to deliver the placenta naturally without pitocin or any pulling). Otherwise, I think it more depends on your OB/midwife and L&D nurse as to what they commonly do during labor, birth, and post-delivery.

What I wouldn't give to be able to give birth at a birth center though! Ahhh.. that's my dream. None available in my area though. I'm lucky I got the go-to natural OB in my area. The hospital seems pretty hit or miss but one of the better options I have. I live in a not very natural birth friendly area so I have to push for several "out of the norm" practices.

My hospital doesn't do delayed cord clamping or giving baby straight to the mom. They take and clean them and do the tests first. With dd I just went with he flow. This time if all goes well I will have delayed cord clamping and baby straight to me!

Everything else about the hospital is great and baby never leaves my room!

Wow, lots of birth plans organised!!
I'm by no means ruling out having an epidural! Just would prefer to not have the big needle in my back! However if my pain tolerance is not great I will be asking for it!
Our hospital as far as I know does delayed clamping and gives baby straight to mum for skin to skin. They call it the 'golden hour' so unless there is a prob with the birth they dont take baby for any checks or measurements for the first hour so mum and dad get time to bond with baby, first feed ect. I dont think they do anything to bring the planceta on either unless there's been any problems with the birth.
I really hope I get to have the experience I want being as I'm defiantly gonna be on the consultant ward and no it the midwife ward! I just dont want a room full of drs checking me while I'm trying to have a nice calm labour just because my weight is borderline on the higher side! Grr!

MrsMandy - most deliveries I have been there for the doctors/nurces don't really bother the Mom a whole lot unless their is good reason. Like my frind's labor was just kinda dinking along but nothing stressfull so they just kinda left her to it. They would come in every hour or so and check her monitor print out but it was very laid back. (she had an epidurral so she couldn't move around) She was overweight but no reason for her to be high risk other than that. Hopefully yours is like that! (but hopefully without the eppidurral cuz that is what you want)
With DS2 I got pre-e so they were all over my room pretty much the whole time. BUT they didn't really stress me out. Probably the eppidurral in action though! I was laughing and joking with the nurses and doctors. They kept telling me I had 30 min to get baby out once it was pushing time and I kept laughing and telling them it would not even take 5!! LOL And it didn't!!!

Hi all! I don't post often. SO happy we are all very close:cloud9:. As far as pain management goes, Im doing an epidural again for the third time. Third time is a charm:winkwink:. I dont really have any particulars, like delayed cord clamping or placenta delivered on its own. I have looked in to it but decided that its fine whatever way my DR does it. Epidural or natural as long as our babies are healthy, I think thats all that matters. All I want is a healthy baby girl named Koreena at the end:cloud9:

Koreena :) I like that!
I agree, that is why I don't really have a lot of plans for durring the labor part, just after. I don't know if it had anything to do with it what so ever, but DS1 could not have immediate skin to skin contact and because I didn't know any different and no one told me I didn't even try to breastfeed him until he was like 2 hours old and we were never able to get the breastfeeding thing down. DS2 was able to nurse right away and I was able to breastfeed him until he weened himself at 8 months. IF it had anything to do with it (the doctors said it very well could have but also could have turned out the same either way) then I don't want something like that to get in the way this time!

Koreena :) I like that!
I agree, that is why I don't really have a lot of plans for durring the labor part, just after. I don't know if it had anything to do with it what so ever, but DS1 could not have immediate skin to skin contact and because I didn't know any different and no one told me I didn't even try to breastfeed him until he was like 2 hours old and we were never able to get the breastfeeding thing down. DS2 was able to nurse right away and I was able to breastfeed him until he weened himself at 8 months. IF it had anything to do with it (the doctors said it very well could have but also could have turned out the same either way) then I don't want something like that to get in the way this time!

Thanks!! I definitely want the immediate skin to skin and they offered last time and I was like no, just clean him up. Needless to say I wasnt able to breastfeed either. Im definitely going to breastfeed this time!:winkwink:

At my hospital, about30 mins after birth, you are moved to a recovery room. I guess they haven't heard of the golden hour!!

With dd the placenta came out with her. I hope it all happens at once again!

OMG with DS2 they had me all super medicated because they thought I was gonna have to do a emergency c-section (if I couldn't get him out in 30 min) so I didn't feel any urge to push at all.... I just put my hand on my tummy and pushed when I felt it tighten. After DS2 came out the placenta didn't come immediatly and my Dr. was like well lets just see what happens. So after I got done breastfeeding him and they took him to do all that testing stuff THEN I felt the urge to push.... I told the doctor and she was like "must be time for that placenta, go ahead and push" and the Doctor in his Residency got all ready to help me birth the placenta. Well.... I forgot that you don't have to push nearly as hard for the placenta as you do a baby and I gave it a big ol "push out the baby" push and SPLAT!! All over the poor Doctor-In-Training-Guy... :rofl: He was the same Dr. that was the victim of the Kool-Aid Man insadent... hope the poor guy didn't change professions!!! :rofl:

Hahahaha, good to know not to push as hard if placenta doesn't come right away!

Guess their are no universal delivery methods when it comes to hospitals. They kinda do as they feel unless you press the issue when it comes to your concerns:wacko:.

Omg gals, Dr thinks my pelvis is separating. Like I need more things to go wrong. :cry:
I'm in soo much pain, I tried to go grocery shopping on Monday and I was doubled over ready to go to the hospital when spd occurred to me. When I sat and relaxed it stopped, plus I saw my Dr the next morning.

I don't even want to move it really hurts :(

Omg gals, Dr thinks my pelvis is separating. Like I need more things to go wrong. :cry:
I'm in soo much pain, I tried to go grocery shopping on Monday and I was doubled over ready to go to the hospital when spd occurred to me. When I sat and relaxed it stopped, plus I saw my Dr the next morning.

I don't even want to move it really hurts :(

Oh seperating!? That sounds really bad. Praying the pain subsides!! Will they take the baby early if it gets worse?

Oh meagan! I hope they can give you something to help? My mum had a separated pelvis and she said how horrible that is. Hope you feel better soon and get some rest. :hugs:

oh no, Meagan I am so sorry! That is horrid. Maybe they can get you a belt or something to help?

Thanks gals, Dr didn't really say much about it other then she suspects it.
She made a comment about the baby being much bigger at 35 weeks but didn't really explain why she said that.
I'm basically in do nothing mode. If it's still bad I'll discuss what it means in 2 weeks when I go back :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->