MC stats - just 1?

lucy_lu10

Mum to 2 boys
Reaction score
It seems from the majority of people's posts (and other stories that I've read in books and online...not to mention women I've talked to) that the girls who have had miscarriages in life usually only experienced a single one. I myself have had one in the past (at 6 weeks) but in my observation, it almost seems to be the 'norm' to have 1 miscarriage at some point in time. I don't mean to sound depressing here (I'm trying to stay really positive with this pregnancy!! :)) but statistically, is it more common to only ever have 1? I know some girls have none and some have multiple mc, so is there a normal average?

Some of my friends have shrugged with this pregnancy when I explain my concerns and said "nah you've already had one when your body wasn't used to the change so you're good now". Of course I like to believe that but is there any truth to that? Thanks!! :)

I have had one suspected mc before I had my daughter. I had my daughter and went on to have 3 confirmed mc and another that wasn't a confirmed pregnancy (so just very early) I have since gone on to have a son and now a surprise pregnancy which we will fin more info out about tomorrow afternoon

My doctor told me that With having my son and having a mc (even tho it was a mmc) that i was normal. That I was still in the okay 50/50 range.
He explained it in a Mother Nature kind of fashion saying that she has to take her course on something that we cannot controll. She senses something isn't balanced and steps in- and that the baby was too special to be here (meaning something would of seriously wrong with the baby if it was born).
I personally don't think there is a normal number for anything that we can't control. And a 1st tri mc is something we cannot.
Bottom line if you loose a baby- You have an amazing angel watching over you every second of your life. <3

I don't know, but I've been told the same by friends. I hope it's true as I've then had my one and I'll be ok this time! My mum and my sister both lost their first pregnancies too.

I've heard the same, even my GP said sometimes it is as if your body is doing a trial run. I've had one MC and the GP said to try and again and not worry you should be fine. I hope so, it made me feel better at least x x :flower:

Statistically, you've more chance of having a successful pregnancy than a MC. Thats the only stat you need to hear!

Statistically, you've more chance of having a successful pregnancy than a MC. Thats the only stat you need to hear!

Thats the best stat i've heard! I'm pregnant with my second (my daughter is now 13 years old) and I'm finding I seem to be much more concerned about this pregnancy than I did last time, weather I just took it in my stride because I was quite young (19years) I'm not sure.

I love the B & B forum but I'm not sure if its making me more nervous reading the worries and heartfelt stories of the ladies who are having problems. I know that everyone needs to have a place to share their worries - perhaps I should just avoid these threads?

I'm 6 weeks pregnant and so far I've not had any cramps or spotting, just comings-&-goings of various typical pregnancy symptoms, tiredness, sore boobs, bloating, bit of weight gain etc, but still can't seem to help worrying that something is wrong and my first scan seems so far away, not got a date yet but have been told it'll be around 12 weeks.

I'm off work today, feeling run down, huge stye on my eye, its so painful, got to collect some drops from the docs this afternoon. Blurghhhhhhhhh.:-({|=

Anyway....I know I need to start thinking positive and stop worrying!
Here's positive thinking to all the ladies who are worrying too much, happy and healthy pregnancy to you all X

This is excellent advice. You need to think positive. The statistics for mc during each pregnancy are the same (sadly about 25% of confirmed pregnancies). I had 2 in a row yet I'm a very healthy 24 year old. But look at me now . . . 32 weeks! The statistics are in your favour for a healthy pregnancy xx

Hey Lucy,

My first pregnancy ended in a miscarriage and I'm now pregnant with my second now and I am trying to stay very positive and relax but its really tough. One of my friends had 2 miscarriages and then had two successful pregnancies with no complications whatsoever. So I think a lot has to do with Mother Nature and somethings just aren't meant be.

hi i have had 1 miscarrage and 5 children and 7 months pregnant .Due in june.

Hmmmm M/C can be about more than just 'Mother Nature' stepping in... there could be underlying issues that are causing them and they need to be investigated and possibly treated.... I have lost all 4 of my babies, but this time I am on a load of drugs and so far so good... I have good days and sad days and lots of hope... at the end of the day statistics are just number and you can make numbers say anything you want...

You have to just go from how you are feeling and what your medical carers tell you.

:happydance: This made me smile. I like the positive vibe on here. :thumbup: I guess it is hard to get actual statistics since there are soooo many variables concerning MC. I also take the view that they happen for a reason and that something probably wasn't right with the developing embryo from the get-go. I'm feeling positive about this pregnancy (especially after having a super easy/uncomplicated pregnancy with my son) and am trying to enjoy each day as it comes. :)

I have never had a mc this is first pregnancy, and no one in my family has a history of mc's. I don't think there is any pattern to them, think it is just something that happens sometimes.

i totally ruined my first tri last time worrying about there being no heartbeat or even no baby when I was scanned. This time I'm much more relaxed. The worry is still there but if its not meant to be, its not meant to be. I appreciate that its hard for a baby to grow properly and there are lots of factors that CAN go wrong but the chances are, they wont :)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->