Medic Alert Bracelets...

sarah1989

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I was discussing this with my DH tonight, and we are at a slight disagreement.
I would like to get one, and he doesn't seem to think it is necessary.

I have asthma, which for the most part is controlled; hypothyroidism, which is a newer diagnosis and new medication to go along with it (to which I am not sure how my body may react with it long term). I have an allergy to penicillin as well.

The main reason I want to get one is because of the hypothyroidism. It cannot be cured, only controlled, so this is going to be a life long condition I will always have to deal with.

I was reading on-line about conditions that should urge people to get a medic alert bracelet and hypothyroidism and allergy to penicillin were both on it... In my mind, I would rather be safe than sorry, but maybe he is right :shrug:

Is it worth spending the money on, or am I over thinking my conditions? :dohh:

Hi I have a medic alert necklace and it is so worth getting one. If something was to happen to you when your out on your own or something and you didnt have the bracelet your OH will also feel really bad. Go for it hun

We're getting one for Tegan once she's finally got big enough wrists to wear one.. :lol: I think if YOU feel its necessary, you should get one.

I have one for my penicillin allergy and with my blood group on. I carry my card in my purse at all times and wear my bracelet more on holiday or in hospital than day to day.

I'm glad I wore it recently to hospital though as they were meant to put a red tag on my wrist stating I was allergic to penicillin and did they?! Nope! So I'm pleased I had this on.

Absolutely.
I am lucky not to have anything that needs a medical alert, but I am all for it and if I was to become ill I would want one.
Its peace of mind. My dad needs one but right now we can't afford to get it. I wish I could get it for him now.

They save lives. I lost an Uncle and 2 cousins from the same family due to an undiagnoised condition that might have turned differently if they had medic alert bracelets.

My OH begs me to get one because of my epilepsy but ive never gotten round to it. I also have an allergy to penicillian but didnt no that you needed one for that

I was advised by the hospital when I was 18 (after being admitted) to get one for my penicillin allergy as I have an anaphylactic reaction to it, at the same time they told me to put on my blood group. Did as was told and it has proved to be quite useful.

Like everyone else says definatley get one. i have one and carry a card in my purse. xx

I would recommend it. I have a few relatives that carry one. My mom has bee allergy one since she has anapylactic reactions to bees. And my aunt has a diabetes one. My aunt's diabetes one has come in handy as she passed out due to low blood sugar in the middle of the grocery store one day.

I wore one in early pregnancy because I have a friend who nearly lost her baby after drs gave her meds without knowing she was pregnant. After I started showing I stopped wearing it though.

i need to get one, as i have von willebrand disease (similar to haemophilia, but is present in women too) but havent got round to it yet.

i had consultant care in my pregnancy because of it, but they said it wasnt severe, so not to worry - then i had a haemorrhage after giving birth, they said it was more severe than they realised, and it might be useful to get one.

id go for it - it cant hurt can it? better safe than sorry imo :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->