Meeting doula's before your pregnant?

lozzy21

Mummy to Niamh
Reaction score
Is this a silly idea? I'm thinking about next time and what I want and I'm thinking about having a doula. I had a horrible time with my LO which left me with PTSD that I'm now in control off. I don't want to leave it untill I am pregnant to sort my support network out because I don't want my anxiety to come back while pregnant and overshadow what should be an amazing time.

I also would like the support to discus what the NHS would want and if it's really neccissary from the start of my pregnancy and not be worrying about it untill later on in my pregnancy.

Do I sound crazy?

Not daft and I've met a woman who has done exactly this. She had a traumatic birth with her second and meeting doulas and the NHS mws were part of her journey towards ttc. She got things 'in place' as much as she could so she felt ready to take the next step towards ttc. If you're in the Facebook group (it's closed so only members see any posts) then post in there as there are a few people who have done just that :)

Thanks, glad to know I'm not daft lol. I'm on the northern doulas Facebook page, is that the one you mean?

That's not silly at all. Remember doulas are doulas because they are compassionate and want to help women not only have a good labour in general but to help women have better labours than before.

BTW I have not added a ticker but I am around 5-7 weeks pregnant right now (I have no clue...) and have already booked my doula. Let me say, it is a HUGE relief particularly for a woman like you and me who have had traumatic previous labours.

With my last one (the MC) I was so fraught with anxiety and fear. The instant I booked my doula and was cleared for the birthing clinic or home birth, that fear was mostly relieved. I think meeting your future doula will be a great wonder for you - do it!

No the Home Birthers & Hopefuls Facebook group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/184258181610097/

Aliss congratulations, I'm glad your feeling positive.

Thanks MM.

Not a silly idea at all. I interviewed my MW before I was even TTC with #2 and knew I was going to hire her prior to birth.

I actually wondered this too since we would like to go with a doula. I asked one of my best friends who is a doula (but sadly not close to where we live) and she said she doesn't get many women who contact her before they are pregnant, but she would be super impressed and happy if they did. It would give more time to let the relationship develop and help her to start to plan her schedule for the coming year a bit.

Not silly at all, as a PP said, it gives you time to find one your comfortable with and gives you more time to build a relationship

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->