membrane sweep? 38 weeks

kezza943

Pregnant-2nd Trimester
Reaction score
Hi everyone, im 37+3, im going back to the hospital on friday 31st for a membrane sweep, does anyone know how succesful they are? and do they hurt?

thankyou!
xxx :hugs:

My sweep is on the 31st too. They say that 50% of women will go into labour within 48 hours. Those arent bad odds.

It's supposed to be effective if your body is ready to go into labor. I had mine on Friday and my bloody show yesterday, but not much else. I've heard some people say it felt like a regular exam, or they didn't feel it at all. For me it was one of those most painful things I've ever experienced, and I was in tears by the time it was done. I will definitely never do it again! I hope you're one of the lucky ones though! :hugs:

fingers crossed that it works for us!! not sure why i asked if it hurts....im pretty sure labour is going to be a whole lot worse haha, how many cm do you have to be dilated for them to be able to do the sweep?xxx

Well it reaffirmed my desire to get the epidural, haha! I was only 1 cm when I had mine, so I think as long as they can get up in there they can do it. :)

I was 2cm when I had mine with my daughter. But as already said, as long as they can get in your cervix it's possible.

I think the 50% figure isfor overdue ladies which doesnt even mean much as if your overdue your going to go into labour soon anyway.

Hi everyone, im 37+3, im going back to the hospital on friday 31st for a membrane sweep, does anyone know how succesful they are? and do they hurt?

thankyou!
xxx :hugs:

I had one a 38 weeks. I am now 38 weeks 4 days and am still pregnant. I have been losing my plug (with some blood) since Friday... so that's exciting... The actual sweep hurt A LOT and I have a high tolerance for pain.
Doc wants to do another one at 39 weeks but I am not sure if I want him to... I am still feeling sore.. lol

Been almost 4 days since I had mine. It hurt, but was bearable...

Will probably try again this Thursday. If it avoids going over and getting induced, I am willing to try again...

I'm suppose to get a membrane sweep on Wednesday, hopefully I'll be in the 50% but then I have my babyshower on June 1st.

I have one scheduled for Wednesday. Not sure if I want it to be honest.
I am hoping for a VBAC so the consultant ordered the midwife to book them in for weeks 39, 40 and 41.
If I want the VBAC do you think I have to have the sweep? Or can I decline? I know they don't want me going past my due date, maybe I could decline the 39 week one and just have one if I get to 40+ weeks?

I had one last week and lost some more of my mucous plug but other then that nothing. I did have cramps for the next two days but didnt lead to anything else. I was 2cm dilated, 50% effaced and my cervix was centered. She really thought I would go but nope still pregnant. As for pain I have a high tolerance but can say it was painful and I did grab the table. As I didnt really want her to think it hurt but she knew. I go in again this tuesday and see a different doctor so I am hoping that I can get one then and hopefully I have made more progress and will go into labor this week. Goodluck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->