Menstral Cups

krissie328

Reaction score
I have no idea where to put this...

But I would like to transition to using menstrual cups. Does anyone have any suggestions on what ones they like?

Also, how many should I have? I am kinda under the impression I wouldn't have to change it at work (~9 hours or so). Is that correct?

TIA

:flower:

You change it as often as a tampon. You could have 2 or so. One to wear and one to keep on hand in a ourse or cleaning while wearing other.

I started with Diva but didnt like it so changed to Lunette. I dont use it often because i prefer cloth pads.

Unless you have really heavy flow, you can wear a cup up to 12 hours. When I am not pregnant or breastfeeding, I use a cup. I put it in, then change it around 6-7 AM and 6-7 PM. That is it. So easy, it's like you aren't even bleeding.

I have a MeLuna, the old style (I think they still sell them but they call them something else) in a Medium, I used a small until a few cycles after AF came back after my first (he was a c-section, so I didn't know if I needed to change sizes). I love it. I'll never go back to tampons and/or pads.

I also started with a Diva, I used it until I dropped it in the toilet. I got the Meluna after, and liked it much better.

It does not take long to clean when you dump it out, I dump it, rinse it in warm water, and put it back. You can use soap at that time if you want. Between cycles, you boil it. I have had "multiple" cups in the past and only used one at a time, lol!

Thanks ladies. There are so many options out there and people have such strong opinions on them.

Another cup user here. There are a lot out there to choose from and vary in length, width, firmness/softness, capacity, and stem length/shape.

The best way to figure it out is to wait until you have your period and figuring out where your cervix is and how it moves throughout your cycle. Once you know this you can look at the length of cups (there are charts out there) and have a better understanding of your needs in that. If your cervix is low during one part of your cycle and higher during another, you can get two cups to accommodate to that.

There's also a bit of a learning curve with cups when you first start to use them so don't be discouraged. It took me a few cycles to get it down realizing that I need to use different folds throughout my period to get it to pop open correctly. Overall, though, I love my cup.

And as said above: cups can be worn for up to 12 hours depending on your flow. If you have a very heavy flow it may not make it to 12 hours and may have to be changed/dumped every few hours. The cup charts out there will also show capacity so picking one to meet your body and flow should be a bit easier.

I have a moon cup, but I know diva cup seems to be really popular in the U.S. and that's what all my friends there use. Honestly, I think they are largely all pretty similar and you won't know what you prefer until you try. I only got the moon cup because it was just what they had for sale in my local pharmacy. I've used it for probably 3 years now and I'm quite happy with it (though I also love cloth pads and probably prefer them, though sometimes the moon cup is just easier depending on the day).

You only need one. You would change it as often as you change a tampon, but then wash and re-insert. It does mean you need to sort of time changing it to when you can be somewhere you can wash it (like you probably don't want to be doing that in a public restroom while someone washing their hands at the sink next to you!). But I've never found that's a problem. I've never had to change mine while out. I have medium to heavy ish periods and I also usually wear a cloth liner with it just in case of any leakage, but I insert it first thing in the morning and remove and wash it in hot soapy water when I have a shower before bed. I personally use pads overnight, so I leave it to dry and then I re-insert it in the morning.

Just be careful on fit as you will often need to get one sized to you (usually a bigger one if you've had children already). It should explain the sizing on the box. And also it does take some getting used to. Most of them come with a stem that you will need to cut to fit you for comfort. I personally had to completely remove the stem in order for it to be comfortable which was terrifying at first! I was so afraid I was going to just lose it in there and never get it out again. But it's fine. It just takes some practice and getting used to when you first start using it. I still prefer cloth pads, but I do use the cup on my heaviest 2 or 3 days and I'm happy with it.

Does anyone swim whilst wearing theirs? Tmi but I find mine fills with water when I swim and then I have to go to the toilet really quickly after or it leaks everywhere

It should not! You probably are not getting a good seal then! It may be too small?

Yeah I think I need to get something different. It doesn't leak normally

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"