• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Mental illness survivors

are there any kind of natural
or herbal remedies that work rather than
getting a prescription?!?
things i could buy in a health shop
rather than seeing my gp??

xx​

hi jenny. i use st johns wort for depression during pregnancy. the strength/quality needed cant be got from health food store you need qualified medical hebalist to prescribe. also for bp there is strong evidence that omega fatty acids can help...again tho i would say see a nutritionalist for these! also accupuncture works well for some people.

Hi girls i was wondering if i could join ?

I will give you a bit of background about me
Well my name is jen 25 orig from paisley scotland but now live in essex i've suffered from depression since around 16/17 where i went through alot of bad times then i tried many medications which none i felt worked a community psychiatric nurse was then assigned to me as i was unable to leave the house without taking panic attacks eventually i did beat this which was great at the age of 19 i lost my first son i thought i was gonna relapse again but i didnt it wasnt till my 2nd son aarron was born i relapsed when he was 6 months old i went on proxotine for 2 years which helped me and i felt brilliant ive been off anti depressants for 2 1/2 years but at the moment ive been going through my 3rd relapse which i have been taking panic attacks bad since my grandpa died in november ive finally decided to do something about it again i thought i could get though it myself but i cant so im meeting with my new gp on wed and i think i might be bipolar but im not entirely sure what all the symptoms include . my Oh has been great but i think i need more support from people who know what its like to actually go through this kind of thing im abit at a loss at the moment and im not really coping well but i will stop rambling on now and leave it their xxx

Went to my appointment today, am really disappointed. All they've done is raised the level of antidepressants and given me sleeping pills. I don't need antidepressants, I need mood stabilisers! It's not the depressed side that troubles me, it's the anxiety, the stress, the mood swings. Antidepressents do nothing for me, that's why I wanted them switched :dohh: at least he's given me something for my sleep, that's been making things worse. Now all I need is the money sorted, £70 a week to live on isn't enough :dohh: got CB and Dan only gets £101 every two weeks from JSA, as for some reason our family claim hasn't gone through yet :( rent's due in a week and we're going to be left with NOTHING.

Antidepressants don't make you happy -they just level out your moods so should help with the mood swings. It can take a few weeks for them to really kick in and if they aren't having an effect they will raise your dose as they did today then wait a bit longer to see if there is any improvement. If nothing then it's normally good to change meds as those maybe don't work for you -every person is different. Most antidepressants also help with anxiety -if you read the leaflet with them it probably says what they are normally used to treat. What have you been prescribed?

most meds as in antidepressants are like an elastoplast.. they cover over whats really wrong. As for mood stabilizers, was it just your GP you saw? up here in Scotland your GP cannot legally prescribe you them. You have to be referred to the psychiatrist and assessed before any mood stabilizers will be prescribed.

:hugs:

Pixiekittie, what babystar says, normally stabilisers are only prescribed by a psychiatrist not a GP. No med will make you completely better especially not whilst you are in the mdidle of a negative cycle and are stressed about money. RE your finances, you may be eligable for other help, Council tax benefit, Child tax Credit (Working Families too when your partner is back at work) Housing benefit as your property is rented...maybe income support ( I am not sure about this as they have literally just changed the system and I havent got to grips with it properly yet!!)

Jenny, yes there are more natural remedies which may help. Personally I am not a fan of St Johns Wort but educate yourself on it and see. As I mentioned before go see a holistic therapist who can help you with homeopathy and/or Bach flower remedies.
Accupuncture may also be a way to go if it appeals to you.

I'm not sure if I should post in here as I no longer suffer with self-harm issues.

I started self-harming when I was 17, I met a guy that treated me very badly, I ended up in a very violent relationship, physical sexual and mental, I self harmed for 6 years, w...I bought brand new razor blades from the shop and sliced myself to bits. Hospitalized once.I went to see a psychiatrist, who I told all my relationship issues too, she referred me to a councillor who told me straight, stay in the relationship, you'll end up killing yourself or he'll do it for you. After 6 years I found the courage to get out of that relationship. I'm now in a relationship with my perfect guy, and although we have our rows, I would never put him or my kids through that. More importantly, I wouldn't put myself through it again.

Thanx for listening xx

Glad there is somewhere I can come if I ever get to that low part in my life again xox

Hi

I have had depression too when i was a teenager and then again after a nasty boyfriend..

When i was pregnant with my son in 2005 i became disabled (sounds a bit odd but true) i had SPD to the extreem its very rare and ended up in a wheel chair and all of a sudden i had a new baby and a disability. Which led to me being diagnosed with post natal depression

I did have a major operation to fix the pelvis together but after a slow recovery they discovered a Cyst on my spinal cord which is progressive as we understand and is too risky to be operated on...

So thats me .... hi all

I've suffered from depression too. My whole damn family has it. My mom, all 3 of my cousin's on my mom's side. Noticed when I was around 20. I was only on Paxil for a while, but I stopped taking it on my own. I've been pretty good throughout the years though, so it's nothing major. I have been feeling pretty low lately though. I know it could be hormones, but I still have to be careful with it. My mom told me to just keep an extra eye out for anything postnatal, just incase it turns into something worse.

Stay strong everyone, it's hard getting through any kind of mental illness. I don't talk to many people about this (including my DH), because I think some people don't understand if they don't have it themselves.

:hug: to everyone :)

sorry I havent been around for a couple of days girls. Kinda needed some time on my own. Feelin pretty shit last few days :(

:hugs: to you all

Hi to the newbies here, not been in here for a couple of days

Hope you're ok Babystar :hugs:

hey i would like to join this post if i can.
I suffer from depression and have done since the age of 12 i also self harmed since then. i have had 1 hosplitisation and that was dpression, i have also suffered from eating disorderds as well. i am only 17 now, but my life isnt stable and i think im getting kicked out of my aunties, i struggle to get by every day. my boyfriend keeps me sane most of the time so that is a good thing. im quite stressd at the moment thought. i have been on meds i was on citlopram for 5 weeks before i went into hospital and now i cant take any sort of table i.e the reason i cant take the pill. i havent been back to my doctor yet but i will go and see if can be put on some sore of liquid form and see if that works.

Hey, how is everyone doing today?

I got my degree classification yday and it was better than I was expecting (though I scraped through by the skin of my teeth!) so I'm feeling quite good in some ways. Does mean I have no more excuses not to start looking for work though which is a tad scary!

On the plus side I just had some really tasty chocolate :) Green&Blacks Butterscotch -omm nomm nomm.

:hugs: to all

Yeah it's a psych that perscribes everything, never been percribed any of that sort of medication by my GP. At the moment I'm on 100mg Sertraline, and Melatonin to help with sleep. Anti-depressants have never helped with my mood swings :( the only things that did were the mood stabilisers, but I ended up having to come off them as I started throwing everything I ate up and the hospital thought it might be the tablets. Turns out it was psychosomatic bulimia, controlled now, but they never put me back on them tablets =/

What mood stabilisers were you on PixieKitty? I don't know much about them so was going to have a read. :hugs:

Morning ladies! I was thinking about doing a MH group.... but didnt dare for some reason!
I got diagnosed with Borderline personality disorder in Sept 2007 and spent 2 months in hospital because of it....
I have been on loads of tablets in the past including mood stabilisers, anti phycotics and anti depressants. I am only on anti depressants now.

Just started going to phycology xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"