message on answer machine...

BrookieG

Mummy to Ollie
Reaction score
hi girls, i just checked my messages on my phone n had one from the community midwife (dunno when it was from though) and she said the results from my urine sample at my 12 week scan came back saying i had an infection n that she had put a prescription at my local surgery....firstly i dont feel like i have a urine infection...in the past they've hurt like hell n if the call is from a week ago should i still go n get the prescription??? im not sure about antibi's when pregnant...kinda a pointless thread just wondered if anyone else had an experience similar...only thing i kinda feel is little pains in my lady bits sometimes but just put it down to ligament stretching :S x

8 times out of ten when i go to the doctors they tell me my urine is infected, when i was 6 weeks they told me i had one and gave me antibiotics, i believe they are fine to take. but hmmm it always makes me wonder aswell how i can have one well i feel normal! x

If you have a uti, I would get the antibiotics whether you feel like you have one or not. Sometimes they dont have the urinary symptoms you would expect. Its better to treat it, because later on in pregancy, utis can irritate the uterus x

yeah thanks girls...im just not one to take tablets if i can help it n like i say in the past ive certainly knew when ive had a uti coz it hurts like hell!!! worst time of year to hear that message though lol dont think docs will be open till tuesday now lol x

i hate taking them 2, i had a really bad cold last week and was stressing over having to take parecetomal lol, i really have tried my best to avoid tablets but sometimes you cant help it. sometimes ive had burning with uti, and sometimes i havnt some women are definatley more prone to them, and im one of them lol! and all pregnant women are more likely to get them. just get them on tuesday when docs re opens x

Hi there -I had an UTI recently and had no urinary symptoms at all -really didn't think that I had an UTI either to be honest. I only handed in the sample at request of my doctor due to terrible MS and it came back positive. If it was a lab test (doc sends away in red top bottle)then there is no doubt you have either got/ or had an UTI cos these tests are really sensitive to infection; however dipsticking a urine sample (white top dipped at clinic) isn't always so fullproof.

I will say though, it is important (and safe) to take antiiotrics for an UTI if you have one cos if not cleared up effectively the infection can lie dormant and re-appear in greater forces later on; when it can become more difficult to treat and can travel to your kidneys causing all sorts of problems. Dont want ot worry you but if MW/Doc says you need antibiotics I would contact them when they re-open for advice -maybe hand in another sample for testing just to be safe. I had to hand in another test after completing my course of antibiotics to make sure we got it all. UTI 's can cause premature labour.

Sorry to sound so glum xx -my antibiotics done the trick fine, and my MS (??) got better too lol and my second test has come back free from infection too.

Yes I would defo take the antibiotics Hun! Your doctor would not prescribe them if there wasn't a good reason! Don't want any nasties getting in to your kidneys as that would be blooming painful trust me!

On the docs being closed subject- I would perhaps go next time they open with a sample so they can test then and you can see if it has cleared up or if you need the antibiotics xxxx

I took antibiotics for a UTI and im okay. :)

My midwife told me it's better to take any pain away, for me and the baby. Ie, headaches, take paracetomal! xxxxxx

Do they check your urine for infection? Here they check it every time, but just dip a strip in it and check the color. I think they just check the sugar level.

Here is a thread for 2nd trimester. Some antibiotics are safe to take during pregnancy. I had a UTI at the begining of pregnancy.

Please READ the following:
Mums to be please be aware of how serious UTI's are. PPROM

its important to clear up the infection as it could go to your kidneys which is not good for the baby! Your midwife will know what to prescribe you. Most antibiotics are completely safe to take. Paracetamol is too.

I was worried about this and my midwife assured me that neither cross the placenta

Some UTIs have no symptoms at all.

Yup, I just finished a dose of antibiotics for a UTI also. Dr said it's very important to get on top of UTI's as they can be harmful to a pregnancy.

my dentist advised me that certain anti-biotics can damage the development of babies teeth when they are still in the womb. The main damage it can do is damage to the enamel.

This is apparently also true for children below a certain age whos teeth are still to come through.

thanks girls....hopefully the docs will be open tomorrow n i can get the prescripton....x

i had AB's for a urine infection when pregnant, i took them because i didnt want to risk it getting better on its own. as far as iam aware they are safe. i work in a surgery and loads of woman get ABs when preg. of note one of the times i had zero symptoms too x

thanks girls, although all the talk of how it can be harmful untreated to the baby has got me totally stressing about the fact i might need to wait until tuesday to get the doctors back open :S lol x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->