Metformin & PCOS

babyjla

Trying to make a BABY!!
Reaction score
Hi all! :hi:

So I thought I'd start a thread about PCOS & Metformin as treatment. I know for me when I started a few days ago I researched as much as possible about Metformin being used for PCOS, possible side effects, rate of success, & yadda yadda yadda. So I wanted a place where I could share my story as far as taking Metformin goes & maybe get advice and feedback from others (other than my ttc journal). I'll start by sharing my story... My names Jessica, I'm 20 and my hubby is TJ; he's 22. We found out I have PCOS in June of last year & tried Clomid. So far there has been no luck :cry: Me and hubby have been ttc for over 2 years now. I recently started Metformin 500mg daily, and the dose will be upped Oct 3rd to 1000mg daily. So far my experience with Metformin has been good. I started taking it Wednesday 9/19/12, and had a horribly upset stomach accompanied by diarrhea that night. Since then, I havent had any symptoms besides some gas here or there, and its now Sunday. The first & second day I took the Metformin with a meal as instructed, and so far yesterday and today I took it without a meal as soon as I woke up and havent had any issues. I'm hoping that the Metformin will help with my IR, and fertility as I do not O on my own. I have AF once every 5 months or so, so I'm hoping it will help with that as well.

I'm hoping that more ladies from bnb will join this thread and share their stories & experiences with Metformin also (and hopefully some successful!!). I'll post here often to keep it up to date on my experiences and my journey also.

Hi dear baby,

nice to read about your story i wish and pray you get success soon with healthy baby :)

i have goen thru my follicular study two times, once on CD11 n second on CD15, and it disgnosed no change in follicle size after 3 days too and ovulation also not detected, US Dr suggestes as may be PCOS dere...

so now m waiting for my next cycle so wilk go for some hormonal tests on CD2...

let see what result is waiting for me... i hope n pray no PCOS dere.. rest leave on Allah :)

Hello Aein!!

Sorry to hear you might have PCOS, its definitely never fun to here that! But the good news is there are ways around it! So if you do have it, its not a death sentence like I used to think. Do you have normal cycles every month? :hugs:

As far as the Metformin goes...Learned a lesson last night. Hamburger Helper may be quick, easy, and delicious...but it does not go well with Metformin! Or heartburn either hahaa. We hadn't had it in a while so I made some for dinner, and felt fine right up til about bed time. Then I had to make a run for it! Ohh, the price we pay to fix our bodies. But so far I think my experience with the Metformin has been rather good, although I'm not holding my breath for it to remain once we up the dose. Anyways, thats that!:winkwink:

yea dear, my cycles are normal just 1 day lap thts it... just 2 months before while was taking clomid my cycle late for 5 days, and that time i felt too much positive for bfp.. but no

and my PCOS still nt confirmed, waiting for my cycle so go for test on CD2

and if it comes positive so i pray covered with medications,:) i dont want any leproscopy thing m little worried about...

also tdy my DH is going for his semen test too,let see wt result comes out

:hugs: Oh I'm so sorry to hear that! I know exactly how that feels, when I took Clomid my DR said I should get AF after I O'd but I didn't. So the whole time I was soooo excited thinking that something had finally worked! I did have a miscarriage on Clomid after another month though. I hope his SA results come back good! Thats one less thing to have to battle!

yup i hope so dear, keep remember in your prays

May God give u dozen of baby dust

Thank you! You too :) Keep me updated!!

Hiya babyjla, I was given Metformin to take in May this year..4 months later the box is still waiting unopened in my tablet cupboard :dohh: I'm so nervous about the possible s/e that I keep putting it off.
Really hope it starts working quick for you and you've no s/e after your few hiccups.

Hi babyjla.

Thats exactly what happened to me! When I first took Metformin tablets I had a terrible upset stomach and then had to run to the loo. Heartburn is also something I used to get often. I think this is because the body is adjusting to the medicine because after couple of days it was ok. I was told to have Metformin for 3 months. I also have PCOS and was told to go for a second scan which I did last week. Im going to make an appointment with the Doctor tomorrow to find out my result.

Best of Luck for u! I hope all ur dreams comes true. x

I was put on it by the endo for PCOS, but I do ovulate on my own. I have lost 3 babies, but I also just found out that I have the Factor V Leiden mutation, so have to add Lovenox to the things I take during pregnancy. :(

I am currently on metformin for IR and PCOS. I was originally prescribed it in 2007. However, out of fear I have never taken it longer than a few weeks at a time. However, I have now taken it for a full month. My blood sugars are normal, but no change in my cycle. I am hoping this will work and I plan to keep taking it this time. =]

TattyHead- Hi, thanks!! Really so far my symptoms haven't been very bad. I've been a little gassy, and had an upset stomach twice. Of course I'm only on 500mg right now and its been less than a week :haha: Do you have PCOS or insulin resistance?

YearningHeart - Hello :) How long have you been taking the Metformin so far? And what mg are you at? My doctor said after my 2 weeks of 500mg he's only bumping me up to 850mg. I'm not really sure why he wouldn't just go to 1000mg, but whatever. I'm not a doctor so I can't really say much about it :shrug: I hope your scans come out well! Thats always nerve racking for me! Thank you! You too!

amjon- :hugs::hugs: I am so sorry to hear about your losses :cry: I'm not sure exactly what a Factor V Leiden mutation is? :hugs:

krissie- Hi! What mg are you taking? I've heard it can take time for it to get fully into your system and start correcting things. I too have IR and I'm hoping the Metformin will eventually help reduce all this belly fat, my doctor says its very likely to help with everything once it corrects the insulin problems.

As for me, I have been a little gassy last night/this morning... Its kinda weird because its like my tummy is all bubbly :haha: Anyways, other than that I've been fine, had a little heartburn last night but a glass of ice cold milk cleared that right up!

Hello ladies! I'd love to join you all in this thread! :)

I'm 30 and DH is 38. We decided to start ttc the end of April 2012. I stopped bc in May and got my period as normal. Then I had a whole lot of nothing. I started talking to a few doctors and got an ultrasound the end of July and found out I have PCOS (which I wasn't surprised by...as I started researching I sounded pretty textbook for it!)

My doctor started me on metformin in August. I started with 500 mg daily then upped to 1000 mg after the first week. Within 48 hours of my first dose I got my period. I was on cd97 so I was thrilled to finally have it make an appearance!

As far as the side effects, I got really bad diarrhea after my first dose and worried this would be a nightmare. However after that first dose I've been fine! I will get the occasional bout of diarrhea every once and awhile depending on what I've eatten but nothing too extreme and definitely no big deal compared to the results! I've also had a bit of heartburn and I've noticed my taste buds have changed some. I can't stand eggs or a lot of meat products like bacon, ham and sausage...things I used to love! Also, I've been tired earlier in the evening and more awake early in am. Not sure if either of these are from the metformin...just things I've noticed recently. I had my hopes up for a bit when I thought I'd ovulated that these could be pregnancy symptoms but as my period arrived i guess not, so could have to do with the metformin. :shrug: So my first cycle was 97 days...my second cycle just ended a few days ago and was only 38 days! :happydance:

The only down is that I did not ovulate in my last cycle (for about 2 weeks I thought I had and I think it's possible I did, but my temps were so erratic it was hard to tell for sure). So this cycle I've decided to try soy isoflavones to help my follicles mature and to try to help force ovulation. My regular doctor has referred me to an obgyn for a fertility visit but it's not until November. I'm hoping if the soy doesn't work that I'll be able to add clomid to the metformin.

Look forward to sharing this journey with you all. Ttc with pcos is so much more frustrating and tricky but it can certainly be done! It will be so nice to talk to other women experiencing the same ttc struggles.

A little story to boost all our spirits...my good friend Heidi has pcos...she and her husband had been trying for about 16 months with no luck. She did several cycles of clomid and nothing happened....then she stopped the clomid and started metformin. That cycle she got pregnant....with twins!!! She is now 23 weeks and recently found out they're having 2 boys!

Hi MamaMac!! Your experience sounds much like mine! Thats great that you got AF so soon after starting the Metformin!! I'm currently on CD33, have been on 500mg Metformin for one week tomorrow, and still no AF. I think I MAY have O'd last Thursday 9/20/2012 because I had a lot of O pains on the left side and lost of CM. I didn't do any OPK's and I've never done temping so its just a wild guess. I dont think it was from the Metformin, but I recently lost 16lbs exercising and I'm thinking that MAYBE kick started something? Guess all we can really do is wait and see! Sorry you didn't O last month, or atleast don't know if you did haha. But yay AF arrived after only 38 days!! You know, I have noticed too that I'm going to bed earlier than I was. I noticed it Friday, cause me and hubby are always night owls and I was knocked out by 11pm. Usually I'm up til 2am or later, and sleep til 11am haha. But I've been waking up at 8-9am and going to bed around 11pm every night. Didn't think it was something caused from the Metformin, but I guess it may well be! Are you still on 1000mg? My OB is driving me nuts, I think everyone in his office has lost their minds...Thats a whole other story. I have an appt with a new OB this Friday AM for a consultation to see what he would do as far as infertility and helping us concieve. :wacko: But thats so encouraging about your friend!! What mg was she on when she concieved? A bnb friend of mine also conceived on Metformin, but lost two angels due to other complications :cry:

Let me know how the soy works, I've heard of other ladies using it before. I can't seem to remember if it had any effect here or there, but would love to hear if it helps!!

Yeah, hubby and I are night owls as well...usually up till midnight but lately I've been heading to bed much earlier. Some nights I'm out by 8 or 9! Then when my alarm goes off to temp at 5 I feel very much awake. So bizarre haha

Not sure what dose of met my friend was on. Will have to ask her. Will keep you posted on the soy. Hope it helps!! :)

Sounds like theres a story there with your doc office...what happened? Doctors make me nuts. When I first saw my doc about my crazy long cycle her advice was "if you want to get pregnant you need to have sex at least once a week" :dohh: seriously lady??? That's your Doctorly wisdom for me??? Yes I'm aware pregnancy requires sex! Lol but if I'm not ovulating all the sex in the world ain't gonna knock me up! (which is basically what I said to her) thankfully she ordered the ultrasound and gave me the met when we found the issue is pcos....but seriously, I swear I know more about ttc than she does! I knew something was wrong with my body and even suspected pcos and she was ready to send me out the door with nothing and make me do nothing but "have sex once a week" (eyeroll) for 6 months before doing anything productive! So stupid...glad I was persistent and she gave in (probably to get me to leave haha)

Oh also, I'd really recommend temping...it's the sure fire way of knowing if you ovulate or not. Just keep in mind that pcos can make temps erratic. They go up and down way more than normal peoples do. But if you ovulate lure still supposed to be able to see the temp shift. OPKs can be tricky with pcos since our hormone levels are out of wack we can get false positives throughout out cycles. Also I get Ewcm and watery cm throughout cycle also at isn't associated with ovulation. As if pcos isn't bad enough for actually conceiving it also messes with our ovulation signs! :dohh:

Hey there!
I am 24 and DH is 23. I have PCOS and I am currently taking Glumetza 1000 mg daily (which I think is the same as Metformin just a different brand) Also, I am taking clomid 50mg. Really hopes this works; b/c it leaves me with a really bad stomach ache all day. This is actually my second time trying these meds, DH and I had taken a 3 month break which I took BC to regulate ovulation. I have blood work scheduled on Oct. 6th to check my ovulation levels, hoping they're good!O:)

Yes, please ask her I'm very curious what mg she was on :) As far as temping goes, I have considered trying it out. Everyone I know who has been ltttc temps, I guess I'm just the odd ball and don't wanna do it really. And I swear I could be a waaaay better doctor than the one I have now. I feel as though I have to tell THEM about PCOS and Metformins effects on it. Very sad. Okay, so here's my LONG history of idiot doctors :haha: Brace yourself, its a long story.....

In November of 2010 I went to a doc here (not my current one) because me and hubby were wanting to start trying for a baby. I had been on bcp for almost a year, and had craaaazy weight gain. When I came off bcp, the weight stayed and my cycles left. So of course I decided I should maybe go to a doc and see if I was pregnant or what, especially since I hadn't gotten a period since being off bcp and was getting neg tests. (I stopped taking bcp around the end of August to early Sept, not exactly sure of the date) When I got to that doctor she told me some amazing things, really broke my heart. First, she told me that I didn't need a pap every year unless I was over 22yrs old. Even if I were sexually active, which confused me but I'm no doctor so I went with it (I was 18 at the time, we started off young lol. Got married in May 2010). I hadn't had a pap since I was 16. Anywho, so she continues on to tell me that since I was over weight, (Gained 75lbs on bcp, later found out it was the great PCOS) I might as well give up with ttc. She told me to try the "South Beach Diet" or "Weight Watchers", and until I had lost some of the weight I wouldn't have any chance of conceiving. I explained to her that before taking bcp I was a normal weight, had periods irregularly but atleast every other month, and that I had been trying to lose weight but nothing seemed to work. She said "try harder" and left me crying in her office. They then did blood work to test my thyroid, and multiple other things. I still have never gotten the results of that bloodwork! My hubby was of course upset as well, we were both so young, had done no research on ttc as we were just starting out, and were lost. So it took me a while to come to terms with the fact that I wouldn't be able to have children because I'm heavy, and neither diet nor exercise was helping me lose the weight. I mean she's a doctor so she would know what she's talking about, right?

I feel like you need a small pause to catch your breath, there is MUCH MUCH more lol. SO, fast forward to JUNE 2011. I called a different OB because I felt like I was young and I shouldn't have to give up yet. We'd only been unprotected for a few months, and although I had had no period, I had gotten back on my feet and ready to try another route. And get a second opinion. So my first visit with my current OB went incredibly well. I left there crying tears of joy because I felt soooo good about things looking up. He did a pap, and said that you should DEFINITELY have a pap done every year if you are sexually active. Then I told him all of my symptoms/issues. He listened, ordered an u/s and told me he believed I may have PCOS. He explained that it is not a death wish, and depending on my desire to become pregnant immediately would decide the course of action we take, i.e. clomid, bcp, whatever. So u/s confirms PCOS, and he started me on Clomid (Took Clomid Oct 2011 - Dec 2011). I took 50mg for 3 cycles. Every cycle I had to take Provera in order to get my period after taking Clomid. (As you said about OPK's, I'm not sure if I really did O on Clomid each time or not because I never got a true +OPK. I did have one miscarriage during my time on Clomid, so I know that I atleast O'd once :cry:)

Here's another breath catcher for you, there's MUCH left to go. So, after the 3 rounds of Clomid doc decides he doesn't want to do Clomid any more, even though I did get pregnant one time. He said that there's a high risk of it causing over stimulation and yadda yadda yadda. So I asked what our next step would be, he wanted to do a semen analysis on hubby, check my tubes, uterus, ect ect. (My insurance does not cover infertility, so I was looking to start somewhere a little cheaper) So of course we say lets do the Semen analysis. This brings us to where we are now, in Sept of 2012. In May of 2012 I called to have the doc call an order for the SA (apparently you have to have an order for this), never happened. The missing time between Dec 2011 to now would be where I TRIED to get in contact with this doc to see where we can go next, and could never get a hold of him. And didn't feel as though I should have to make an appointment to ask my doctor one question, and to have him call in an order for an SA. FINALLY GET A HOLD OF HIM. He put in the order for the SA, and agreed to starting Metformin. SO, we do the SA on 9/14/12. I had an appt with doc on 9/13/12 (The Thursday before SA was scheduled) for my annual check up & to be started on Metformin. His office is downtown, worst place I've ever been in my life. I have an SUV, had to parallel park on a small one way street, total nightmare. Anyways, so at the office as soon as I walked through the door I knew it was going to be miserable. There had to be 7 or 8 women ahead of me, some had been there since 9am waiting to be seen. The receptionist keeps telling all of us that the doc IS coming in today, and to please be patient. Long story short, I had blood drawn, vitals taken, and went home after 3 hrs of waiting for a doc that never showed. THEN when I got to my car, there was a man writing me a ticket :growlmad: I had been in the parking spot too long. THANK GOD he let me go.

Here's another breather for ya. You asked for it :haha: Okay, so after my vitals were taken and blah blah, the RN says she'll have the doc call in a prescription for Metformin later that night so I wouldn't have to wait any longer to get started. I was very anxious after doing all my researched and wanted to get the ball rolling. We had NOW been ttc since Nov 2010. So later that day when I called back because there had been no prescription called in for me, the RN tells me to just wait until next Wednesday when I had rescheduled my appt for.... :growlmad: I was pretty pissed, and she told me I needed to "drink some hot tea and calm down"..... !!!!! SO, after fuming for a few days Wednesday FINALLY rolls around. Of course I had to wait forever to be seen, and when I finally was done with my annual check up I had to wait another 45min to speak with the doctor about my Metfmormin. When I was speaking with the doctor, he was going over all the benefits Metformin has on PCOS women and blah blah blah. (Meanwhile I'm thinking to my self: I KNOW YOU MORON, THATS WHY I WANTED TO TAKE IT!! AND IF YOU KNOW ALL OF THESE BENEFITS WHY IN THE WORLD WOULDN'T YOU HAVE GIVEN ME THIS A YEAR AGO INSTEAD OF CLOMID???) So he says he's going to start me on 500mg for the first two weeks so its easier on my stomach, from there we'll go up to 1000mg and so on and so on. I was instructed to wait until I got a period, and start testing for O on CD10. OKAY!

Now, while I was waiting to speak with the doc, his nurse was taking my vitals and discussing medicinces with me. She's telling me that they DID recieve the results from the semen analysis and they were normal :happydance: But then she threw me off a little. She tells me that Clomid and Metformin are basically the same thing, and if I had no luck with Clomid not to expect much from Metfomin. (So I ask you if theses are indeed the same medications, WHY do they not treat type 2 diabetes with Clomid??) Anywho, she ALSO tells me that you HAVE to ovulate to have a period (So I'm guessing that I mad anovulatory bleeding up in my own mind) and also that if you ovulate, you will have a period no matter what... Mmmhmm. So I asked the doc when I was in my consultation with him, and he says no they DID NOT get my SA results yet, but my bloodwork did come back and it was fine. So I was again, confused but I figured the doc would know. :shrug:

I'm tellin you now, its ridiculous that I've dealt with it all this long. Fast forward to yesterday. I had a question for the doctor so I called. I wanted to know if it were possible for me to up my dose of Metformin early since it wasn't really effecting my stomach too badly, and also, how long should I wait to get AF before I take Provera or Prometrium or something like that? So the receptionist is telling me that the doc said yes, go ahead and take 850mg since it isnt effecting my stomach. So I respond that he has to call that in. So she goes and talks to him again, and now he says no, just wait until the 2 weeks of 500mg is up. :wacko: THEN, I ask if he recieved the results of the SA. She gives me the results of the bloodwork. (I only know this because she says: "Everything was normal, you're A+) I dont know about you, but I've never heard of sperm having a blood type. So I'm on hold AGAIN, and she comes back to say the doc has NOT recieved the SA results yet.... OKAY.... So I ask what dose they will be upping me to on my Metformin once my 2 weeks is up, because at the appointment I was told 1000mg and now its sounding like he's gonna do 850mg. So she says he'll be upping it to 850mg :dohh: We're going in circles here. I asked what dose would it be after that, she says I will have to come in and see the doctor to see where I'm at...... WHAT? This whole time she keeps putting me on hold between questions and "going to speak with the doctor" and coming back with answers. So I ask her, "Wouldn't it just be easier if you just transferred me over to the doctor so I can ask HIM? Because I really don't think you are understanding" She says NOPE. But I can take a message :dohh::dohh::dohh:

So after a few hours of no call back, I CALLED THEM BACK. Got the nurse on the line this time, same one that told me about having to O to have a period and Clomid and Met being the same drug. I was thrilled, obviously to have another idiot on the phone. SHE tells me that after 2 weeks of 500mg doc is moving me up to 850mg. I asked why so slow, why not go to 1000mg like we discussed. She says if they make too big of jumps it can cause "all sorts of problems and they wouldn't even know where to start to fix them" I asked for examples of theses problems, NONE. So I ask HER about the SA results, she again tells me (as she did at my appt last wed) that they DO have the results which came back normal.....Clearly SOMEONE is making SOMETHING up! I have NO idea if they got the results back or not. No clue what so ever.Then she says, are you using OPK's. I replied No, I was told to wait until I get AF THEN start testing for O CD10. She says I need to be doing so now, that way if I O on 500mg they don't have to up my dose....:growlmad::dohh::wacko: I told her what the doc said wed. She puts me on hold for a few min, and comes back sayin doc agrees with her. Oh, I bet he does. These people are a bunch of freaks. THEEEEN, I hung up after being put on hold again because I have been mind F***** for waaaay too long on this phone call. She calls me back about 20min later on her PERSONAL cell phone, and talked to me for almost an hour about things I could care less about. Her u/s with her son, how she got fired one time, I mean its just INSANE.

NEEDLESS TO SAY, I have now made an appointment with a NEW OB this Friday. I'm going in for a consultation, and if this man gives me even a slight hint of similarity to my current OB :wacko: I'm walking out lol. That isn't even everything, but I'm sure you're probably tired of trying to put it all together, I know I am!! :wacko:

Hi wishful!! I think you're right, I think they are pretty much the same things. How long have you been taking the 1000mg?? I hope it works for you too!!!

Wow Babyjla, you have been through many circles! Glad you are switching OB's they are crazy. I have been seeing the same OB for years and very informative including the nurses. I don't understand why they wouldn't up your dosage every couple of days. I first started 500 mg and gradually suppose to increase till I reach 2000 mg. I'm not upping it anytime soon; will stay on 1000 mg b/c I went to have my prescription filled and they told me it was $573 for 60 1000 mg pills (with insurance)!!! So my OB gave me some free samples and I will be taking those for now. Hope your appointment with the new OB is great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->