Metformin & PCOS

Yes I have! And I am telling you that is only HALF of it!! And I know, I've been trying to understand it and I just can't lol WHOA! Thats crazy! My prescription is totally free without insurance!! I have blue cross and blue shield, but the plan we have doesn't cover much so I'm glad its free. That is INSANE! I'm sorry to hear its so expensive! And thanks, I hope so too. I really hate to switch because I'm scared they'll want me to start all over again, but I think if I explain everything and they say they wanna do all these different things then I'll just leave and try again with another OB.

Wow Babyjla, you have been through many circles! Glad you are switching OB's they are crazy. I have been seeing the same OB for years and very informative including the nurses. I don't understand why they wouldn't up your dosage every couple of days. I first started 500 mg and gradually suppose to increase till I reach 2000 mg. I'm not upping it anytime soon; will stay on 1000 mg b/c I went to have my prescription filled and they told me it was $573 for 60 1000 mg pills (with insurance)!!! So my OB gave me some free samples and I will be taking those for now. Hope your appointment with the new OB is great!

Do you have insurance? Mine has been covering the name brand with no problem. I take 4 500mg pills a day (2 and 2). I only pay around $20 (for some reason it's different every time).

Hmm... I am on Metformin ER and have been on the regular stuff before. It only cost me $4 from Target/Walmart for 60 1000 mg pills. I think something is way off with those prices...

Anyways... I originally started on 2000 mg because nobody told me to start slow, so obviously I had a lot of issues. Once I realized the issue I backed it down to 500, then upped it by 500 a week. I am not on 1000-1500 a night depending on how bad my sugars were throughout the day. However, I seem to do fine on 1000.

I still haven't gotten AF or a +opk.

I am currently looking for a new doctor and your story scares me. I have had a great one, but we moved two hours away and so its been difficult to travel and make appointments to see if I O'd. So I am hoping once my new ins kicks in on the first I can find one that will be cooperative and helpful.

Note: My original 2000 mg was on regular met. My current does is on ER.

Ugh doctors and expensive pills....gross!!!

I'm amazed at that long doctor story...how awful!!! Hope you get someone better! That would irritate the heck out of me!

Thank you! You too :) Keep me updated!!

still my periods are far way till 4 to 6 Oct.....

and my DH test will be tomorrow... last time he didnt go for it :winkwink:

m just thinking thinking n thinking :growlmad:

Hmm... I am on Metformin ER and have been on the regular stuff before. It only cost me $4 from Target/Walmart for 60 1000 mg pills. I think something is way off with those prices...

Anyways... I originally started on 2000 mg because nobody told me to start slow, so obviously I had a lot of issues. Once I realized the issue I backed it down to 500, then upped it by 500 a week. I am not on 1000-1500 a night depending on how bad my sugars were throughout the day. However, I seem to do fine on 1000.

I still haven't gotten AF or a +opk.

I am currently looking for a new doctor and your story scares me. I have had a great one, but we moved two hours away and so its been difficult to travel and make appointments to see if I O'd. So I am hoping once my new ins kicks in on the first I can find one that will be cooperative and helpful.
The name brand is that expensive. Insurance pays about $600 a month for mine. I had issues with the genetic that I didn't with name brand so he writes the script as brand name medically necessary.

Ladies, what external effects we observe, if we have PCOS.....

Krissie, I agree, at Publix Pharmacy here its totally free. They have this "diabetes plan" or something like that so its free for regular Met. For ER its I think like $9 a month, without insurace.

I've heard that ER is easier on your stomach sometimes also...So maybe that helped too with going down in dose! Thats nuts that they started you right on 2000mg, although I was kinda wishing my doc would have so I could move up slowly as needed. I'm sorry my story scared you!! :haha: I think I just have inevitably the worst luck ever with doctors!

Aein, thats great! Let us know how the test goes!! And what do you mean by external effects? I know a lot of women with PCOS and IR are over weight and stuff, like in the mid section. I have skin tags and stuff that I've heard could be a symptom of PCOS, and dark patches of skin like in your arm pits. Mostly the effects of PCOS are internal though I do believe. But its so different for everyone, its hard to tell...

So, I learned something else last night that the Metformin does not agree with lol...I had a glass of milk with strawberry syrup in it last night. Hadn't had it in a long time and was really wanting some...BAD IDEA :haha: So, that means so far I have found that if I eat Hamburger Helper, or drink milk with strawberry syrup I'm in for a looooong night!! :dohh:

Once telling my OB about my irregular cycles; she took a glance and said you probably have PCOS b/c that it what she has; after tests she was right. Examples of mine my mid section is a little fluffly, dandruff, oily skin. Everyone's symptoms are different.

Wow Babyjla, you have been through many circles! Glad you are switching OB's they are crazy. I have been seeing the same OB for years and very informative including the nurses. I don't understand why they wouldn't up your dosage every couple of days. I first started 500 mg and gradually suppose to increase till I reach 2000 mg. I'm not upping it anytime soon; will stay on 1000 mg b/c I went to have my prescription filled and they told me it was $573 for 60 1000 mg pills (with insurance)!!! So my OB gave me some free samples and I will be taking those for now. Hope your appointment with the new OB is great!

Do you have insurance? Mine has been covering the name brand with no problem. I take 4 500mg pills a day (2 and 2). I only pay around $20 (for some reason it's different every time).

Yes, I have UHC. This is the first time getting this prescription filled at Wal-Mart and I had to leave it there. 3 months ago getting it at CVS it was only $45 for 60 pills. I don't know why it is such a BIG difference!

Yes, I have UHC. This is the first time getting this prescription filled at Wal-Mart and I had to leave it there. 3 months ago getting it at CVS it was only $45 for 60 pills. I don't know why it is such a BIG difference!
I've been getting all mine at Publix.

Krissie, I agree, at Publix Pharmacy here its totally free. They have this "diabetes plan" or something like that so its free for regular Met. For ER its I think like $9 a month, without insurace.

I've heard that ER is easier on your stomach sometimes also...So maybe that helped too with going down in dose! Thats nuts that they started you right on 2000mg, although I was kinda wishing my doc would have so I could move up slowly as needed. I'm sorry my story scared you!! :haha: I think I just have inevitably the worst luck ever with doctors!

Aein, thats great! Let us know how the test goes!! And what do you mean by external effects? I know a lot of women with PCOS and IR are over weight and stuff, like in the mid section. I have skin tags and stuff that I've heard could be a symptom of PCOS, and dark patches of skin like in your arm pits. Mostly the effects of PCOS are internal though I do believe. But its so different for everyone, its hard to tell...

yea this is what i wanna know, actually my cycle is regular, and yes i got weight but i felt thus is why my atmosphere change here and we were also on sum healthy food, weekly going outside for dinner....

let c now just test result can determine either i have PCOS or not ... waiting n waiting :nope:

Once telling my OB about my irregular cycles; she took a glance and said you probably have PCOS b/c that it what she has; after tests she was right. Examples of mine my mid section is a little fluffly, dandruff, oily skin. Everyone's symptoms are different.

if i take a look back on my cycles study i had regular of 28 days cycle, even on fingures i was aware at which date my mensis start, so they...

but in these 7 months, only 4th month was first time tht i 5 days late for mensis... after tht last 2 cycles again normal.... ehhh we just can think n conclude by ourself, dont knw wt is waiting for me in nearby future :sleep:

i really wish to be a mother now :wacko:

I'd like to join this thread :)

I found out on Aug 24 I have PCOS (though I've suspected longer before) I currently take 500mg ER Metformin and was denied to have the dosage up by my doctor. So I have an appt to see a ob/gyn on Oct 17 so I'm hoping they could help me more then my doctor could.

P.S. I get my medicine from Wal-Greens and it's only $1.00 for 30 pills (one month supply) - I have CDPHP

Aein, I feel your pain :cry: I'm hoping and praying it will happen for all of us very soon!!! :hugs:

Hi Hippiekinz! Welcome :) Have you been on the Metformin since August 24th?

Aein, I feel your pain :cry: I'm hoping and praying it will happen for all of us very soon!!! :hugs:

Hi Hippiekinz! Welcome :) Have you been on the Metformin since August 24th?

Yup :) I didn't have the side effects, but I can't eat certain foods and eat too much carbs or my body will fight me in the bathroom. Though I've noticed along with WWs and the Metformin - I'm losing weight. I'm hoping losing 10% (which i'm close to) will help me out more with my PCOS and TTC.

Will this be everyone's first? I've been using the OPK but have not received a positive, but I think I have ovulated b/c I had this terrible pain on both side's of the abdomen and so I had to google it. It is ok to have pains on both sides while taking clomid. Hoping everyone will get :bfp:

Yep, sounds like my experience. I've been noting all the things I've found don't do too well with the Metformin lol Thats great that you're close to 10% lost! What is your goal? I want to lose 75lbs :winkwink: Wishfull, it kinda sounds like it is. Everyone seems to be either just starting or just passed their first month of taking the met! :shock: Maybe you O'd on both sides!!! Ahhh! Maybe you'll have twins! I would love twins :haha:

babyjla - I lost near 140lbs with WWs and went from 300lbs to 160lbs. Then I had surgery got depressed and ate half my weight back O.O So I would LOVE to get back to 160 since I know I've done it before, but at this moment I'm aiming for 10% (need to lose 7lbs) then getting out of the 200lbs. If I aim for smaller weight goals, i'll feel better then aiming right for 160lbs:winkwink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->