Middle Names...

Kimboowee

Complete
Reaction score
Right, My dad and all the first born males upwards in his family have been called James. My dad had two girls, not called James obv!

So im having a boy and everyone automatically presumes its gonna be a James..well no. Me and OH already have a name for out little boy...

So then its why not put it as a middle names, then wades in OHs family, they want Thomas as a middle name after his brother who died when he was only a few months old.

So is two middle names too much? Then he would be called Caleb James Thomas Owen, or Caleb Thomas James Owen....

I think its too much but then i'd feel as if i have to go with Thomas as my dads still here kinda thing....

HELP!!!

I'm not a fan of the 2 middle names thing, but that's more for me. OH and I decided to keep it more simple and just stick with the one middle name.

I've heard some with 2 that sound so lovely though!

And I'm very biased about Thomas because that's what we've chosen for our little man's middle name! :)

Hmm, that's a tricky one. Remember that it is YOUR right to choose what to name your child. Bear in mind the practical side of lots of middle names too. A lot of legal forms wouldn't have the space for more than 1. My cousin has 2 middle names and often has to call around when filling in forms for information on how to include all his names!

If you are gentle but firm about it, I can't imagine that anyone would be upset for too long. Your baby will have his name for life, it's a big decision and one that you shouldn't be pressured into by anyone.

Tbh hun, it's your baby and you should get to decide what he's called. It's a really nice thing to do but at the end of the day, we can't please everyone!
At least he wont have to use it fully, like it'll only be on official forms etc wont it? So if you decide to do two, it wont be quite as much as a mouthful as it could be... if you get me?
x

my OH has 2 middle names and most the time when hes applied for things etc people have left off the 2nd middle name (which is thomas aswell) automatically i think everyone finds it a mouthful tbh. have what you feel comfortable with its your baby after all!

My baby is going to have 2 middle names but we are going to call her by 1 of those names (Jessica Rian Leah..and call her Rian)..your names are great btw...I like Caleb Thomas James Owen best. I know you want to make everyone happy but remember..this is your baby, you name him whatever you want. For our baby..Jessica is named after my mom, Leah is after DH's sister that passed at age 16 and Rian is a name we both really liked. As long as you and you OH love the name..that's all that matters..you can't please everyone all the time.

I agree with Dee. I like 2 middle names but when it comes down to it, you should do what you and your OH want. I'm so done people pleasing these days! Lovely names BTW!

My DH and I actually aren't having ANY middle names because of the family names issue. My hubby's parents had relatives telling them who to name their babies after and got so sick of it that they decided to leave off any middle names. DH is thoroughly untraumatised by not having a middle name, so I figure our kids will be fine without them too. We're just choosing first names that we really love (and aren't family names) and sticking with those. I understand if you WANT to have family names, and that's totally fine, but in the end it's up to you, and everyone WILL accept your decision because at the end of the day, they don't have a choice in the matter.

Hannah has two middle names, an English one and a Chinese one. TBH I'd rather she just had her English middle name but it was important to DH for her to have a Chinese one as well

ahaaaa so little hannah has chinese in her.

I've always been struck by your pics of her in your siggie, she's just so beautiful and really striking looking- I'm in love :cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

Back to the middle name thing, we aren't having one as both sides of the family want something or another so we've decided we wont bother! :happydance:

we're having 'Alan' as a middle name if Spud turns out to be a boy-its his family tradition and Im quite happy to go along with it if it it makes them happy. Its not as if its a ridiculous name and its my OH's name too so I quite like it-luckily!! :hugs:

If you're not completley sure about the names thing then call a family meeting and just be honest-it IS your baby-you made it, you name it as far as Im concerned! Good Luck :hugs:

The only trouble I envisage happening is that if we have a girl I really want to call her Zara - because a) it's where me and DH first met, b) the first car we bought together ended up being a Xsara and c) the meaning of it is perfect for my name :happydance:

We have one little problem though :dohh: - my parents dog is called Zara :hissy: and I don't want people to think I've named my baby after a dog :rofl:

The only trouble I envisage happening is that if we have a girl I really want to call her Zara - because a) it's where me and DH first met, b) the first car we bought together ended up being a Xsara and c) the meaning of it is perfect for my name :happydance:

We have one little problem though :dohh: - my parents dog is called Zara :hissy: and I don't want people to think I've named my baby after a dog :rofl:

Can you not spell it different or something maybe? My charge goes to school with a lovely little girl called Sara-but its pronounced Zara! x

Ohh descisions!!! I'll have a talk with OH nearer the time. I think we will more or less settle for James or Thomas and leave it at that, hopefully ppl will be too busy cooing over baby to notice what we've called him haha!

Both our families have family middle name but we have decided to use neither so sthat this didn't happen, we told both our mothers and they were fine with it and said it's our baby so its our choice. go with what you feel is right for you and your LO, Im sure your families will understand, great names by the way, Take care :hugs: XX

I think if you just want the one middle name then its up to you which one you choose, and if you don't want either name then don't feel pressured into pleasing your family.

I have luckily not had much interference on middle names from family although my aunty wants to me to call my baby Herewood if its a boy as that was my grandads name or Dave after her husband !!!!!!!!

I have decided that I am going to make one name out of mine & oh's dads for a middle name as neither of us are particuarly keen on our poor dads names !

I definately agree with the majority here....It is ultimately up to you and your OH. The names you have chosen are great! I think they go together nicely.
And coming from someone who has 2 middle names myself... (Dawn Marie)...it makes me feel that much more 'special'. lol...
Whatever your decision may be...I'm sure you'll be happy with it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->