• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Midwife/birth center after Gastric Bypass?

Hermione394

Reaction score
Hi all :)

In December, I'll be 18 months post op from my Gastric Bypass, meaning that I'll be released to TTC.

I'm the researching type though, so I'm trying to figure out what route would be best for me now, while I have time to mull it over.

I'm wondering if anyone has heard of midwives and natural birth centers taking patients who have had bariatric surgery? Does anyone have stories about their experiences on the matter? I know that when the time comes, I'd want to be as natural as possible (I was on meds for a decade that I didn't need that put the weight on me, so I'm very anti-unneeded medicine now), and I worry a hospital setting wouldn't provide that for me, or (even worse) bully me to change my mind when it isn't 100% necessary.

So, I wonder now, would a midwife/birthing center be an option for me?

TIA! :flower:

I think straight away you would be considered high risk but legally you can do whatever you want in terms of where you give birth. If you want to have a home birth you could and I'm pretty sure you could go to a maternity led unit as long as they don't have strict policies against that x

I'm in the uk, so I don't know if my experience is relevant to you, depending on where you live. But I thought I might share.

I've had bariatric surgery back in 2007, and gave birth (natural birth in hospital) to my second son in 2009. I told the mw straight away at my first appoitment, she notted it down, but it never interfered with my care, nor with labour and birth. I have a gastric band, and had it loosen when pg because I was suffering from morning sickness. The mw never referred to it once.
This time around, I told the mw too at the booking in appt, the gastric band (which had been tightened again when I finished breastfeeding) is still tight and I'm fine with it. I've just had the all clear from the consultant for a home birth.
Hth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->