Midwife won't give me a sweep till I'm 41 weeks!!

amybe

Reaction score
So I had my 37 week check today and asked about when she'd offer me a sweep, She said as it's my second she won't give me one till I hit 41 weeks...WTF!?! I was booked in for one on my due date with my first pregnancy but never made it as my son came on his own at 39 weeks, My midwife casually said 'I doubt you'll make it to your due date anyway as second babies tend to come sooner' but this isn't guaranteed, I hate the thought of going to 41 weeks, Baby is already measuring 2 weeks ahead and I'm so uncomfortable!!...I'm actually pretty pissed they won't give me any help till I'm a week over JUST because it's my second baby, Aarrgghh!!!!

Im afraid its normal procedures.

You can always ask at 40 weeks again. Both my girls came at the same gestation.

Baby will come when its done cookin'. Not every bun cooks at the same temperature. Sorry, I know this isn't what you want to hear... but I really believe that babies come when they are ready 95% of the time.

I know babies come when they're ready, my godson was born naturally and healthily at 35 weeks and weighed a healthy 7lb 5oz so he was obviously just ready to be born! I know my baby won't come till he's ready and I am not trying to coax him out early but I can imagine it is hard to go past your due date, especially with a 2 year old to run around after!! I just hope he comes at the same gestation as my son did at least!! Induction is my worst nightmare!! I've heard such awful stories about induced labours...x

Hopefully this one will cone long before 41 weeks for you x

Sweeps are 40 weeks for first as they are most likely to be late then 41 weeks for second. I was annoyed because I wasnt even offered a sweep at 40+ 1 (firstbaby) and I had been up the hospital for 2 days with reduced fetal movement. I complained because EVERYONE I know had a sweep on their due date and even a few more down the line. I was refused another sweep today at 41 + 3 because my bp was slightly high 110/85. Apparently its high for me so now ill be induced saturday whatever. I did have a sweep at 40 + 5 lost lots of plug and blood but nothing! They dont always work anyway so I wasnt too bothered she refused today as I doubt it would work. Im sure seeing as your first was early you wont go too far past your due date if anything! X

Problem is even if you had one at 40 weeks, if its not ready to happen then no matter how many you have or when you have them is going to make any differance.
I had 3 of the buggers plus 2 gel inductions and still nothing worked till I had my waters broken at 42 weeks.
Inductions arnt that bad really.
Having my waters broke resulted in only 1 hour 57 mins of labour, like ripping off a bandaid :)

Thanks ladies!! Aaah good luck with your induction on Saturday, I had no idea they wouldn't do them because of high bp??...Aah it's good to know that they don't always work anyway, Hopefully sex will get me going again like last time :-D As my midwife said today, 'If you want baby to come, You need to do what got you into this in the first place!' lol, My hubby was happy when I told him haha..x

what is a sweep anyway? I don't think they do that here.

It's when the midwife gives you an internal exam and strips your membranes around baby, It's supposed to be very effective at inducing labour x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->