Midwives - NHS vs independant?

Faerie

Proud Mummy
Reaction score
I've already had quite a few issues with my Drs surgery, firstly due to my history I was meant to be referred to the problem pregnancy unit. I phoned up after a week and they hadn't even sent the letter so I decided to sod it and go private as I was really worried I wasn't getting the meds I need (DH has excellent healthcare coverage). Two days ago I got a call from the NHS obstetrician saying I'd been referred to them - errm, bit late!!
When I went into the surgery yesterday for my nuchal blood tests, they had me down as needing infertility tests even though when I made them check my details on file I was listed as pregnant.
So the point of this post is if they've made so many cock-ups already I'm worried about my future care. Has anyone gone with an independant midwife? What are the pros and cons? I will check today that our healthcare covers it, but I'm pretty sure it does.

I think it's just the luck of the draw babe :( My midwife is absolutely lovely and I've had no problems with the NHS but I know a lot of people do. I suppose you can dictate what happens in regards to your care if you go private as you're paying for it after all!

I've not even met my midwife yet, so have no idea if I like her or not. They didn't have an appointment until 11 November, which is after my Nuchal scan (and she's meant to take the blood for it!)

We'd talked about have an independant, but really, with saving for bubba and stuff we can't afford it :(

We'd talked about have an independant, but really, with saving for bubba and stuff we can't afford it :(

I know, I just looked and the average fee is £2500-£3000 around here. I'm so lucky with our healthcare, there's no way we could do it otherwise.

The nearest one I could was Hinckley and hers was £4000 for start-finish of pregnancy

:|

We've gone for private consultant-led care if that's an option for you?

NHS were really crappy here so we thought it was the best option - haven't been disappointed yet! Recommend it to anyone who can afford it.

We've gone for private consultant-led care if that's an option for you?

NHS were really crappy here so we thought it was the best option - haven't been disappointed yet! Recommend it to anyone who can afford it.

Well I'm with a private consultant at the moment, but he says that as long as I get to 12 weeks with no problems there's not really any point in having him after that. Plus his services for the whole way through would be £10-13000. Gulp.
I'm happy to go with a midwife, and know that I can call in the consultant should needs be.

my goodness that's a bit expensive!!!!

it's something like £2000 for consultant led care right the way through here (Northern Ireland) had no idea it varied THAT much!

Whatever youdecide though, I hope it all works out :hugs:

Just a tad eh? It might be because he's the top consultant for problem pregnancies, I haven't had any quotes from other consultants. I am in Oxford though, everything's expensive here!

hehe. i guess he knows how to charge! good to know you can call on him though if you ever needed his services! hope you find a good mw you're happy with x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->